My 404C resto begins!

The town horn I think is the one in the engine compartment and the road horns behind the grille....anyway I bought a new SANOR brand rebuilt town horn because mine was beyond repair and the plastic had spalled off the edges. Got it on eBay, not cheap but it was redone and works well. The form is identical to the original though the sound is likely a bit different because this one is a "TR" and the original was a "TV3".
View attachment 129923View attachment 129925View attachment 129924
looking good mike, clutch release cross shaft getting closer to resting place on opposite side to last time I saw one here.... jim

The engine shop emailed and the bearing shells for the connecting rods were in the wrong box evidently, as the box says they're 0.3 mm oversized but they appear to be standard - i.e. too thin for the resurfaced crankshaft. So I will source some more from Europe and that will delay the engine's return to the car a little...depending upon how long the postage takes. At least the engine assembly is nearing completion on the shop!

These things are sent to try us Mike.

Rod bearings 0.3, 0.5 .jpg

They arrived on Friday so this coming Friday I will take them to the shop.

Front Plate Mount.jpg

And then I decided to order a stainless steel Mercedes-Benz rear license plate holder for the front of the 404C. They're high quality thick stainless and one is fitted to the back of my B 200. I had to drill two holes to match the factory holes in the 404C bumper and then countersink them a bit but the bottom line is it fits snugly and will be an excellent support for the BC plate. Thinking of ordering "PININ".

Last edited:
The engine as it was Friday at 3:15 PM, when I was dropping off the big end bearing sets. Coming together nicely. Most of what you can see other than the block is new. I'm told that 404 blocks were not painted ex-works but I think I should hand paint some dull black high heat on the block before installation.

Attachments

• Engine small.jpg
    Engine small.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 156
That's interesting about the lack of paint. Maybe they thought it unnecessary due to protective oil leaks. Who said that? Wash my mouth out with soap and water!

The engine as it was Friday at 3:15 PM, when I was dropping off the big end bearing sets. Coming together nicely. Most of what you can see other than the block is new. I'm told that 404 blocks were not painted ex-works but I think I should hand paint some dull black high heat on the block before installation.
Definitely

Next step now that it's home is to paint the block after getting the flash rust off it. Also got from Peugeot Classic a Peugeot branded warning triangle and a plug wrench to carry in the car.

Twin engined B200.jpg

Triangle and plug wrench.jpg

Long Block at home.jpg

Ceramic paint good to 600°C on the cast iron manifold, which was perfectly rust free and clean beforehand. Hope it lasts a bit.

Exhaust-rear.jpg

I also cleaned the clutch fan sensor that screws into the radiator and mounted it, cleaned out the oil supply tube between the block and head, mounted it with new copper washers after painting the block behind the tube first, then painted the tube once mounted.

Today I got four new belts from Dean Hunter in England: one of the 1280.01 unadjustable water pump belts and three of the super short 5750.18 alternator belts that are common to 1965-1967 404 KF2 engines.

650325917_NewBelts.thumb.jpeg.c098b110c2c23d329e54b67ce7d2b645.jpeg

Belting along to the finish!

It will be music to your ears soon!

Last edited: