Modern engines vs older engines

The point of the PSA pump design is getting maximum possible flow at start. Desirable as this is, the simple pump in older engines doesn't achieve this.

A simple hand pump like they had in the old days would surely achieve the same result? Two pumps and it's all OK?

I remember cruising round the Brisbane wholesale yards in 1990 and spotting an 88 model Mitsubishi Colt. It was the later 5 speed version, not the twin stick model. It was only 2 years old, very clean, had NT plates on it and was ridiculously cheap. I looked over it, very tidy, 95,000kms, high for 2 years old, but not too bad, why so cheap?🤔
Asked a salesman, "because of the kms" was the reply. Went back and looked at the odometer again, 950,000kms.😳
Checked the log books and it had like a company log book in it and it had been serviced every single week for the previous 2 years. According to the salesman it was a courier car and was running from Darwin to Alice Springs and back every week Mon/Tues, Weds/Thurs and Fri/Sat.
There were no gaps in the log book so it would be safe to assume it had suffered no major mechanical issues during all those kms.
He reckoned it drove like new, but I walked away, too many kms for this black duck.🤷‍♂️

Modern engines are best left dealer serviced and the vehicle changed at end of warranty. Not very interesting but very practical.

The Japanese utes are not a delight to repair and aren't designed to be worked at age. Better they spend their declining years with a new owner.

I remember cruising round the Brisbane wholesale yards in 1990 and spotting an 88 model Mitsubishi Colt. It was the later 5 speed version, not the twin stick model. It was only 2 years old, very clean, had NT plates on it and was ridiculously cheap. I looked over it, very tidy, 95,000kms, high for 2 years old, but not too bad, why so cheap?🤔
Asked a salesman, "because of the kms" was the reply. Went back and looked at the odometer again, 950,000kms.😳
Checked the log books and it had like a company log book in it and it had been serviced every single week for the previous 2 years. According to the salesman it was a courier car and was running from Darwin to Alice Springs and back every week Mon/Tues, Weds/Thurs and Fri/Sat.
There were no gaps in the log book so it would be safe to assume it had suffered no major mechanical issues during all those kms.
He reckoned it drove like new, but I walked away, too many kms for this black duck.🤷‍♂️

We needed a car at some point in the recent past and it had to be a cheap one so if wrecked no loss. We snagged a 2010 Corolla Wagon off Pickles. Written off repairable with only tailgate damage.

Had almost 300k km on the clock, country car, turns out lady was commuting daily some 200km all highway. Still had recent oil change sticker on windshield with correct km recorded and next service due date/km.

Apart from a lot of red dust everywhere, the car was absolutely perfect. No oil leaks, no oil used, A/C everything worked perfectly (even the old tape radio), suspension, steering, seats, everything. A quick detailing and it was like new (inside). 900 bucks purchase price, 4k all up on the road with one year rego, five new RE003 tyres, upgraded to power everything (it was a base model) and tailgate replaced with good s/h (different colour - who gives a diddly?).

And this has been my general experience overall.

High mileage is no longer a problem with modern engines/cars. If you do the maintenance specified and don't drive it only around the corner and back all the time, the engine is not going to suffer.

I think this is one of the reasons Frenchies have a bad rap around here. People don't maintain them and then complain. And other makes too. In my view, any car from maybe late 80s-early 90s should last forever if maintained properly. No matter how many k's with the caveat that you have to properly take it through the gears every now and then if it's a city car.

The oil pump in the EP series of PSA engines is regulated so that after 2000 rpm it delivers near constant pressure by controlling pump displacement. Up to that speed displacement is
maximum.

PSA mentions that among other things it reduces load on the engine and saves fuel.

Maybe this is why EP6 engines rev so high at cold-start... I'll check what ours is tomorrow, but I suspect it'd be about 1500rpm for ~30 seconds upon first start of the day.

The most important thing not really covered yet is that all diesels must be run hard & not really suitable for running to the shops & back.
Same with modern petrol engined jobs. Cold running & non proper heat up ends up with sludge & that will kill an engine often happening @ low km's regardless of oil changes.