milage and pugs

sysiphus

Fellow Frogger
Hey all,

I am currently looking at landing a job down the Gold Coast.. now, this would of course mean that (in the short- to mid-term) I would have to commute there and back every day.

Coming from the West side of Brisbane, this is a pain in the proverbial, but not an insurmountable one. What this means for my lil' Pug, though, is increased milage... I'm guesstimating that I'll rack up about 3000km/month.

*wince*

So, the question I have is: what sort of impact is this likely to have on my baby? Both mechanically, and in terms of resale value?
We're talking a '98 306xt with 101k on the clock already

Mechanically I'd say you'll be fine. Those engines tend to be a pretty solid little donk, and considering its long distance driving, rather than stop start stuff, the wear will be far less.

Take a look at taxis - a million kms without touching the bottom end, and just a head replacement or two, and a new gearbox. Extreme example, but thats the difference running all day as opposed to down to the shops and back makes. As for resale, no idea? Depends how many kms you rack up...

Nick

its not likely to do anything to your mechanicals, pugs are meant to be driven long distances and are a strong car. its more likely to affect the mark value of it

sysiphus said:
Hey all,

I am currently looking at landing a job down the Gold Coast.. now, this would of course mean that (in the short- to mid-term) I would have to commute there and back every day.

Coming from the West side of Brisbane, this is a pain in the proverbial, but not an insurmountable one. What this means for my lil' Pug, though, is increased milage... I'm guesstimating that I'll rack up about 3000km/month.

*wince*

So, the question I have is: what sort of impact is this likely to have on my baby? Both mechanically, and in terms of resale value?
We're talking a '98 306xt with 101k on the clock already
As you are already over 100k then you have already passed the magic mark for trade-in. If you are not going to be deposing of the car anytime soon then I wouldn't worry about resale value. You will get better value out of your 306 by keeping it and using it for its intended purpose - driving.

The biggest mistake people make with car ownership is not keeping it long enough - thereby getting the maximum benefit of depreciation.

The best three types of car purchases are (in order of purchase price):
  1. second hand, high mileage, one owner, full service history
  2. second hand, low mileage, one owner, full service history
  3. new
Number 1 is the car to buy for your kids, or their first car purchase.
Number 2 is the car you buy when you want a newer car but can't afford 3. 3 is only good value if you keep the car for a long time.

Five days a week, maybe 100kms each way, 200kms a day, 1000 a week, 4000 a month...

Not that bad, you know... cars are there to be used. Mine gets into that area some weeks of the month. 4000kms, that is, in a week, not a month.

If you worry about resale value you'd never really bother owning a car... honestly, it's your car, not the next buyer's. Use the thing, fix it when it needs fixing and keep on doing it. Don't worry about what it's worth... you don't have to buy it again.

Nick I said:
Tought about a temporary accommodation close to work?

Yeah, the thought had occurred. Unfortunately, though, I'm trying to save money for a house deposit.....

*shudder*

Resale really dips past say 150,000km. I had a camry less than 10 year old which everyone just scoffed at because it done 200,000 and had to take what I considered a pretty low offer in the end.

If you want to protect resale value - have you considered spending say $3-5k on a 505 turbo deisel?

Dad used to have one and raved about the long distance comfort (lounge chair seats) and the fuel economy. I have considered this option as I am doing 50km each way every day in 80 to 100 zones for work but at the moment have a company car.

Scott

As usual Ray to the rescue They have a wheel on each corner, keeps them rolling, if you don't use them there not worth having. Doesn't the slogan say enginered to be enjoyed.So enjoy the prick of a thing, they cost you enough regards cane toad

405 SRDT clocked up 405k Photo due today at 405405klms, original everything bar tyres, and soon shocks. They do like to be driven.

cruiserman said:
405 SRDT clocked up 405k Photo due today at 405405klms, original everything bar tyres, and soon shocks. They do like to be driven.

this time either travel at 180 or 60 so the needle isn't in the way

or maybe just park the car then snap away :roflmao: :roflmao:

Originally posted by cruiserman

One such available with some damage... can be driven home with a lower control arm...

Good price. Give me a call on 0409 063 662

Actually, Neil, I tried to ring you this morning to tell you about it, it's close to you...

Ray Bell said:
One such available with some damage... can be driven home with a lower control arm...

Good price. Give me a call on 0409 063 662

Actually, Neil, I tried to ring you this morning to tell you about it, it's close to you...

Thanks for the input all - I guess I should have no worries about my car lasting a wee while then, should I?

It's all become a bit of a moot point though - didn't get the job. Ahhwell... I'll get the next one!! And in the meantime, more pug action for me! ;)

Ray Bell said:
And was there something you wanted to say about my post?

Um crap. Not really, I just forgot to edit it out ;)

Sorry Ray - not enough coffee today :)

cruiserman said:
Congratulations. Is it a one owner?