Michelin vintage & classic distribution in Aus

Well, today I ordered 2 Nankang 175/80 15, ($115 fitted and local) to put on the rear of the DS21.
The XVS on the front still have a lot of life left in them, so I'll take my time to choose replacements for them.

Oh dear. To respond to some of the above.

First, I did speak to the correct size & regardless of driving style, untoward events can happen. OBVIOUSLY, driving in an aware way vastly increases one's chances of not being caught out by events but, even so, & OBVIOUSLY, one still can be, And if they happen on wet bitumen, then compound does matter & tyre age does apart compound condition. Hence my recommendation of importation in the original size & another size for access to better wet tyres.

No I don't drive a DS but when the topic came up in another thread some time ago, some other correspondents reported satisfaction with non-standard sizes (including 195/65). Whether some undergearing matters or not is a matter of priorities. Considering non-standard sizes given the limited availability & expense of stuff in 185-15 is a legitimate option. If one's major priority is not having the tyre ripped to shreds on unsealed potholed roads, then commercial tyres in some non-standard but close enough size seems the best bet.

I repeat my offer that, were anyone to wish to have a copy of a relevant classic tyre test then AF-email me. The results for the Nankang Retro are daunting & an objective test is, I suggest, a useful offering that goes beyond anecdotal reports.

nakang do a copy of the XAS called a retro classic.
you can get them here from some tyre suppliers.
i think there is something weird about them, like they are back to front in terms of the tread pattern, or maybe they fixed that, or maybe thats how they get around copyright/trademark.
i know someone who has them on his old jag. they are fine. good tyres.

the michelins XAS are eye watering expensive. but better than good. i forked out for a set and fitted them to a 914. its a softer compound than the originals of old. also in a tubeless design suited to the vw/porsche rims. a lot of grip for a 165 tyre. progressive grip too which is kind of handy in a mid engined car with no power! they make a lot of tyre howl when new, but it goes away. fitting the tyres to the 914 gave it back its delightfully light steering feel and feedback. but probably overkill on a citroen given cost.

back in the late 80s when i first bought the 14 it ran dunlop SP 71 (i think that is what they were called). they came out of the dunlop plant in japan. fitted to all north american porsches standard. amazing tyre. but wore out fast. a tyre that will never be repro - sadly. the car was fantastic on them. the XAS are close to that feel.

Last edited:
I believe the reversed tread pattern only affected the first run of the retro tyres about 5 years ago.

Last edited:
good the retro tyres got fixed. apparently an ok tyre.
i like the way you said "fun" - instead of run. they are fun.

the dunlops i mentioned were called SP 57.
very good tyres in the grip department. but soft and didn't last long.

zMAd-A24.jpg