Michelin classic range - new tyres inc. 205

blacklotus99

Fellow Frogger
Researching some new tyres for the 205GTI I have come across the new Michelin classic catalogue.

https://classic.michelin.com/en/content/download/254/6420/file/Collection_DataBook_EN v3.pdf

Michelin have re-released the Pilot Exalto 2 (apparently for the GTI) according to page 12 in sizes for 13, 14 and 15" wheels. I think these were fitted to the Clio 172 or 182 back in the day. Any thoughts on these vs the PS3 which is still in the standard catalogue in the 15" size?

I thought the MXV3A was OE for the GTI, can anyone confirm? That tyre is also in the catalogue but only in a 14" non 205 size.

The PS3 basically replaced the PE2 in Michelin's range. It was improved in every way.

Mind you, I wouldn't choose the PS3 given other available modern tyres.

In the stock sizes there aren't that many options. 185/55/15 and 185/60/14

Worth noting that the new PE2 has been updated so one could expect that it would be superior regardless of the name used. Technology marches on.

In the stock sizes there aren't that many options. 185/55/15 and 185/60/14

Worth noting that the new PE2 has been updated so one could expect that it would be superior regardless of the name used. Technology marches on.
Depends upon whether they prioritised wear, grip, wet grip, response, comfort or noise in "upgrading" the tyre

Not a lot of punters put much value on things like performance at the limit and the manufacturers will follow

Best Wishes

Andrew

Were 185/55-15 to be the size, then there's a shortlist of 2 modernish tyres: one is, as noted, the Michelin PS3; the other is Continental's Premium Contact 2. I prefer the latter on "crisper response" grounds.

There is another alternative but it's only available in (near identical in circumference) 195/50. This is Bridgestone's RE003. It's a tauter tyre than either of the above &, in a previous thread, there was considerable discussion of the merits or otherwise of that size. Personally, I would choose it over either above option.

Really though, any of the 3 would be fine & superior in performance (& price!) on all parameters to the PE2 (however upgraded). That said, it would be fine too if the modern one is no worse than it originally was. I just can't see the rationale for spending more money on something that is inferior.

In 185/60-14, I have tried Pirelli P1 & P6, Bridgestone Turanza T001 & Dunlop FM800 as rears on my RERs. My application is different to a 205 GTI obviously & what's best for the former is not automatically best for the latter.

I have decided that I like the P6 best on structural tautness, tread stability & pressure tuneability grounds & suspect that it would work best on the GTI as well. It's a good wet tyre but the FM800 is better.

But any of the above would be fine & I doubt that the PE2 would add anything much except a noteworthy increase in cost.