Michele Mouton

peujohn said:
I recall reading about this lady in an early 80s copy of Wheels. If I recall correctly she was driving an Audi Quattro. It was a great article, especially the battle between the Quattros and Celicas. I think Mouton was in the lead for much of the rally, but not as far ahead of the Celicas as she should have been, since she was in a 4wd turbo car.

I might be able to find the article if you are really interested.
Yep, she's most famous for being one of the first Quattro drivers, given its place in rallying history.

I guess she had a big advantage in 84 being one of the Quattro team drivers ... but even so I reckon she was the one female rally driver of recent times who could cut it with the very best. I saw her driving Quattros on the RAC rally in the 80s - probably 85. Quite a looker too in my opinion!
But my main thought is that she must have had (errr... not literally I know!) balls of steel. She came to fame tarmac rallying Porsche 911s (famous for on-the-limit nastiness) in Corsica where the roads have huge unfenced drops (I know, I've been there).

Thinking of successful women drivers don't forget Pat Moss too.

You never know what people have done. A few years ago I was on a long-haul flight sat next to a little old lady. She seemed just like anyone's grandmother. But we got talking and it turned out she'd been a very successful co-driver in either the late 50s or early 60s. I think (not now 100% sure from memory) that they either won the RAC Rally or at least came in the top 3.

106 Rallye said:
I guess she had a big advantage in 84 being one of the Quattro team drivers ... but even so I reckon she was the one female rally driver of recent times who could cut it with the very best. I saw her driving Quattros on the RAC rally in the 80s - probably 85. Quite a looker too in my opinion!
But my main thought is that she must have had (errr... not literally I know!) balls of steel. She came to fame tarmac rallying Porsche 911s (famous for on-the-limit nastiness) in Corsica where the roads have huge unfenced drops (I know, I've been there).

Thinking of successful women drivers don't forget Pat Moss too.

You never know what people have done. A few years ago I was on a long-haul flight sat next to a little old lady. She seemed just like anyone's grandmother. But we got talking and it turned out she'd been a very successful co-driver in either the late 50s or early 60s. I think (not now 100% sure from memory) that they either won the RAC Rally or at least came in the top 3.

I was manning a control in the Buckingbong Forest near Narrandera in the 2000 L-S marathon.
The roads were tight and twisty through the trees and like ice due to recent rain. Many people crashed.
Mouton was quickest by far in the Porsche, not bad considering the low speed understeer she would have been experiencing with the rear engine Porsche.
Graham

Michelle Mouton

106 Rallye,
Your little old lady co passenger on your flight could it have been Ann Wisdom or Pat Morley? I believe Ann Wisdom passed away last year.

My only "show and tell " items are on the photographs between p.250 and 251 of Evan Green's "A Boot Full Of Right Arms". I scored Christine Dacremont's autograph when they were in Fremantle during the '77 ? London to Sydney. The other girls pictured with her are Yveline Vanoni, Marie Desvignes and Claudine Troutman. I believe they were in a Fiat 131 diesel!

Wildebeest said:
106 Rallye,
Your little old lady co passenger on your flight could it have been Ann Wisdom or Pat Morley? I believe Ann Wisdom passed away last year.

Sorry but I don't know. Not sure if she told me her name at the time, but it was a few years ago and I certainly don't know it now.

While not doubting Michele's talent I think the best woman driver of all time was
Ewy Rosqvist. Her career with Mercedes and later Volvo was fantastic.
This is extract of one of her success's. She was also very very attractive.

"Argentina Saloon Grand Prix forgotten for a long time was 2,856 km a long road running with six stages. 1962 came only 43 of the 286 starters to the goal. The Mercedes Benz 220SE the Swedish drivers Ursula Wirth and Ewy Rosqvist won all six stages - with an average speed of 127 km/h. That was an amazing achievement, since in the Mercedes team also famous Topfahrer was such as Bohringer and Menditeguy and sounds from Karl and Juan Manuel Fangio was gemanagt. Team member Hermann bold one was also killed in an accident over 160 km/h during running." This is a translation from the German.

This was the famous Carrera Panamericana. Back in the days when oil company's had some human qualities you could borrow movies of racing, rallying etc and they were a great addition to a car club meeting.

More on Ewy and her co-driver Ursula Wirth

"1963 Rosqvist/Wirth win the Ladies’ Cup in the Monte Carlo Rally

One year after their sensational overall victory in the Touring Car Grand Prix in Argentina, the successful ladies’ team of Ewy Rosqvist and Ursula Wirth also won the “Coupe des Dames” in the legendary Monte Carlo winter rally from January 19 to 26, 1963. Competing among the international elite of rally teams and driving her Mercedes-Benz 220 SE company car, the blonde Swedish lady driver and her experienced lady navigator mastered all adverse weather and road conditions on a predominantly tortuous route and even finished in the top ranks overall."

She eventually worked for MB for many years in PR and married a German Count.
She was honoured in the last few years at a special memorial for all their works drivers. Though born in 1929 she still has young attitude and competes in historic events.

Very fashionable for the day

Attachments

• ewy rosqvist.jpg
    ewy rosqvist.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,694
This is better

Attachments

• pub192_3.jpg
    pub192_3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6,262
Can't thank you enough! :)
Are there any videos? Or do you know any website I could find more info on women drivers?

Izza said:
I've got a video on the Grp B rally cars and if I remember right, the 1982 championship when down to the wire in the last rally of the season, the Ivory Coast rally.
Moutons father was terminally ill and she considered pulling out (who can blame her), be her dad wanted her to push on.
She had a several minute lead going into the last day but unfortunately the Audi wasnt up to the job on the punishing and rough rally, braking the gearbox (?) and retiring from the rally. :cry:
Really sad moment really, would have been fantastic for her to win the World Rally Championship.
The DVD is called To Fast To Race, from DUKE, and Mouton features in it. As well as the 205 T16, so its $40 well spent. - Chris

Michelle was very unlucky not to win the WRC championship.

I got to meet Lynn St James once while I was at uni. She had a lot of confidence and a very attractive air about her... very intense eyes and very personable and easy to chat to.

I guess doing a qualifying lap at an average of 200 mph will do that for you :D