mice

pugwash

VIP Paid Subscriber
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
started my camper van this morning in the overflow camp Yalara resort Ayers Rock ,sounded a bit rattily so stopped and removed gam belt cover ,lots of fury bits on the idler pulley ,have driven to local mechanics ,runs even but rattily ,am hoping it has only jumped 1 or 2 teeth ,.short staffed ,waiting ,also its raining ,,!

They get in anywhere, they love wiring. Just remember to shake your boots in the morning.

started my camper van this morning in the overflow camp Yalara resort Ayers Rock ,sounded a bit rattily so stopped and removed gam belt cover ,lots of fury bits on the idler pulley ,have driven to local mechanics ,runs even but rattily ,am hoping it has only jumped 1 or 2 teeth ,.short staffed ,waiting ,also its raining ,,!
My daughter's car did that a few years ago only I found bits of a snake, not a mouse, tangled up in there.

Crikey, Pugwash.....I guess you are meant to relax and enjoy the Ayers Rock ambience a bit more. Lucky you made it to the mechanics.

at lest i get to spend the night at a resort ,my beds on the hoist ,timing definitely out, idler tensioner bolt broken off in block [must have coped a sharp knock when the rodent went round the crank pulley ] they were trying to drill it out when i left 4.30pm , and yes there was one shewed up mouse in there ,waiting for a call in the morning see how lucky i am .

its all running again, but accessory belt pulley, has cracks in it ,so mechanic is concerned it may fail, so trying to chase one up ,its a mine field !

Very impressed that you have found a good mechanic in Yulara, and got work done in a week! Wish I could do the same in Armidale, which is about the size of Alice Springs (so far bigger than Yulara), but nowhere near as isolated!

well its not a mechanic its the mechanic ,he is desperate for help but cant get anyone to come here ,extremely open minded asked me for feedback and help a couple of times ,got me out to the workshop showed me what was going on and what was involved ,he had to log off my job to drive the flattop ,pick up a stranded motorist ,hes like a lizard drinking ,his secretary drove us into town and he delivered car to us couldnt have done enough ,for us

the parts on its way from HID [HyundiI Iveco Ducato ] in Melbourne, express post .no couriers out here ,see how long it takes ,

part arrived today now installed, back on the road tomorrow ,been laid up for a week ,its raining here and cold !

Yes, 10 C is pretty cool - even for the centre! In Armidale we didn't quite reach 7 C today, but wind will drop and we'll get down to -4 overnight.

You'll obviously be sticking to the bitumen if its been raining...

I've had nightly problems with mice and rats under the bonnet of my DS for the past couple of months. Ive been baiting and setting traps, and still they kept coming. I got the shits a few days ago when one chewed a hole in a firewall grommet to have a look inside. I pressure cleaned under the bonnet (yes I stayed away from the vulnerable bits), sprayed a strong deoderant on the ground around the car, dabbed pure peppermint oil around under the bonnet and set up a 240V LED light under there as well. So far so good, no further signs of the little pricks.
And as an added bonus, under the bonnet now smells like Minties.😁

well i use wax baits in my van at home so they disappear every mth or so ,but i wonder if i shot myself in the foot leaving ,one in there on my travels ,thinking it may not have been a good idea to attract them in a plague ,my wife's 307 SW has had a block in it at home for months untouched and the fiat baits go in no time both cars have them securely tied down with wire so they cant be removed ,turns out that if the belt had jumped just one more tooth the motor would have been toast ,i was there when the mechanic Kurt ,tried rotating the crank to line up timing mark ,it came to a stop just before lining up so we checked the cam and the marks were way out ,the lump of mouse going round the crank pulled had jolted the bolt that locks the tensioner pulley snapping it at the block ,so i had a flapping noise and also a lot of clatter from the rocker gear, as the tappet clearance was now being eliminated by the piston pushing the valve back up the guide ,talk about a close call, once the timing was restored and the broken stud removed from the block Karl discovered cracking in the front and back sides of the harmonic balancer ,[it was about to let go] ,ordered replacement from Melbourne ,it took a week to arrive P S the harmonic balance runs the coolant pump ,the air con and the alternator ,so a fail your anywhere out here is ,not good

well i use wax baits in my van at home so they disappear every mth or so ,but i wonder if i shot myself in the foot leaving ,one in there on my travels ,thinking it may not have been a good idea to attract them in a plague ,my wife's 307 SW has had a block in it at home for months untouched and the fiat baits go in no time both cars have them securely tied down with wire so they cant be removed ,turns out that if the belt had jumped just one more tooth the motor would have been toast ,i was there when the mechanic Kurt ,tried rotating the crank to line up timing mark ,it came to a stop just before lining up so we checked the cam and the marks were way out ,the lump of mouse going round the crank pulled had jolted the bolt that locks the tensioner pulley snapping it at the block ,so i had a flapping noise and also a lot of clatter from the rocker gear, as the tappet clearance was now being eliminated by the piston pushing the valve back up the guide ,talk about a close call, once the timing was restored and the broken stud removed from the block Karl discovered cracking in the front and back sides of the harmonic balancer ,[it was about to let go] ,ordered replacement from Melbourne ,it took a week to arrive P S the harmonic balance runs the coolant pump ,the air con and the alternator ,so a fail your anywhere out here is ,not good
My F100 is parked 1M away from the DS and they don't go near it.
A Dr my wife works with had a brand new Mini and some other new car stored in their holiday home on Bribie Island. They went to stay there and the Mini wouldn't start, no dash lights etc.
He called the RACQ and it turned out it had virtually no wiring left, yet the rodents hadn't touched the other car right next to it.🤷‍♂️

Get the tomcat baits from mitre10.... tie them to a house brick as a rat will carry them all off if there is rats around. Don't put them inside the cars ..... mice/rats LOVE them and will get into the car to find them. place them outside the car. I think the tophat baton on your wall sheets is a good place for the baits :)