Mi16 Headwork

Mi16

Tadpole
Hey guys, I have a 93' series 1 mi16 thats done 280,000kms and I want to have the head cleaned out possibly do some work to the valves to try and get a bit more power out of the engine. I am seeking any advice from people who now a bit about the 1.9 engine and what sort of issues or power gains would be involved with this sort of work.

Cheers :cheers:

Mi16 said:
Hey guys, I have a 93' series 1 mi16 thats done 280,000kms and I want to have the head cleaned out possibly do some work to the valves to try and get a bit more power out of the engine. I am seeking any advice from people who now a bit about the 1.9 engine and what sort of issues or power gains would be involved with this sort of work.

Cheers :cheers:

Minimal. Just make sure you've got quality 3 angle seats and the guides are in good condition. With this spec. you can make up to approx. 290hp. It's not the limiting factor. The inlet cam is. I can sell you a reground cam for $240 ex. (plus P&P) if you're interested.

PeterT said:
Minimal. Just make sure you've got quality 3 angle seats and the guides are in good condition. With this spec. you can make up to approx. 290hp. It's not the limiting factor. The inlet cam is. I can sell you a reground cam for $240 ex. (plus P&P) if you're interested.

I am very interested. I have to have a fair bit of work done to the mi. The syncros in 3rd and 4th gear have recently gone and i've been qouted roughly $2000 to do the gearbox. I was planning on having it all done at once. I love driving the car and i'd love to have a bit extra get-up-and-go but will the power increase really justify the cost involved in doing that work?

Mi16 said:
I am very interested. I have to have a fair bit of work done to the mi. The syncros in 3rd and 4th gear have recently gone and i've been qouted roughly $2000 to do the gearbox. I was planning on having it all done at once. I love driving the car and i'd love to have a bit extra get-up-and-go but will the power increase really justify the cost involved in doing that work?

At 280000 you've really got to start thinking about the long term and how much money you want to spend. I know of an Mi16 with 450000 and still going strong. But others are stuffed at 200000 through poor maintenance. Perhaps you should be considering new pistons/liners along with head work if you plan to keep it for a long time? If your bottom end isn't in good shape it's pointless spending good money after bad.

PeterT said:

Peter,

is that the normal cost for one of those cams? Would I see a vast improvement if I dropped one of those into my Mi. I'm about to have my head re-done as well as the block replaced. I do have a reasonably tight budget but I plan to get the rings homed as well as the guides and sleeves looked at. I assume the cam wouldn't add too much to the labour costs as its all open when the head is off. Getting to the point, I'm planning to up the comp a bit by shaving a little more off the head, but if I did this and dropped a cam into it, would I notice some major perfomance changes, or would I have to do a bit more to see it.

cheers, and sorry to butt into the thread Mi16.
Dave

David Shearer said:
Peter,

is that the normal cost for one of those cams? Would I see a vast improvement if I dropped one of those into my Mi. I'm about to have my head re-done as well as the block replaced. I do have a reasonably tight budget but I plan to get the rings homed as well as the guides and sleeves looked at. I assume the cam wouldn't add too much to the labour costs as its all open when the head is off. Getting to the point, I'm planning to up the comp a bit by shaving a little more off the head, but if I did this and dropped a cam into it, would I notice some major perfomance changes, or would I have to do a bit more to see it.

cheers, and sorry to butt into the thread Mi16.
Dave

That's the price I'm selling them for. You might be able to pay more elsewhere. I developed the cam, with the help of a local cam grinder, to work with the Aus. spec. Mi16 compression and stock ECU. Power gain is 15%.

Have a read of this thread:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7840

There is before/after dyno chart on page 4.

Shaving the head on an Mi16 to gain compression is a bad idea. Ky took 0.020" off his but I wouldn't take any more.

The same cam will work even better on the XU10J4 (S16, S2 Mi16).

Peter why don't u reccomend taking more that 20 thou off the mi16 head although when we've spoken u've advised to take chunks out of my head to get the comp up. Is there a difference in the 8v & 16v motor that will make one ping if the comp is raised too high?

Luca said:
Peter why don't u reccomend taking more that 20 thou off the mi16 head although when we've spoken u've advised to take chunks out of my head to get the comp up. Is there a difference in the 8v & 16v motor that will make one ping if the comp is raised too high?

The valves are on an angle on a 16V head. It's not a compression issue but a combustion chamber design one.

PeterT said:
That's the price I'm selling them for. You might be able to pay more elsewhere. I developed the cam, with the help of a local cam grinder, to work with the Aus. spec. Mi16 compression and stock ECU. Power gain is 15%.

Have a read of this thread:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7840

There is before/after dyno chart on page 4.

Shaving the head on an Mi16 to gain compression is a bad idea. Ky took 0.020" off his but I wouldn't take any more.

The same cam will work even better on the XU10J4 (S16, S2 Mi16).

Sounds good, I was just wondering if you had more than one for sale. COuld be very keen though. I'm not planning to take heaps off the head but at this stage i can't afford the 160HP pistons and this would be the cheapest way to get a little more comp. Say if i only shaved it 0.020 off, and put in this cam, what would I notice from a power perspective(more accel or higher top speeds). Would it give me a really noticble difference or just a little increase? :confused: The only reason I'm asking is that I'm already up for around 4K as far as the engine work my car needs so things would have to be tight until I could afford better.

Sorry I'm quite new to this idea of getting my car to go faster. Been a pug nit for years but never really thought about upp'ing the power or moding the engines.

cheers :adrink:
Dave

PS what would postage to Melbourne be worth? :roflmao:

David Shearer said:
Sounds good, I was just wondering if you had more than one for sale. COuld be very keen though. I'm not planning to take heaps off the head but at this stage i can't afford the 160HP pistons and this would be the cheapest way to get a little more comp. Say if i only shaved it 0.020 off, and put in this cam, what would I notice from a power perspective(more accel or higher top speeds). Would it give me a really noticble difference or just a little increase? :confused: The only reason I'm asking is that I'm already up for around 4K as far as the engine work my car needs so things would have to be tight until I could afford better.

Sorry I'm quite new to this idea of getting my car to go faster. Been a pug nit for years but never really thought about upp'ing the power or moding the engines.

cheers :adrink:
Dave

PS what would postage to Melbourne be worth? :roflmao:

You'll notice both more top end power and accel'n from more mid range torque. You'll loose that peak at 4000, because it will have a fatter torque curve below that. Some think that peak is good, but it's actually bad as you had nothing below 4000. There's definitely more than one cam. I just do them on an exchange basis. Postage is approx. $10, but I'll need to confirm that.

PeterT said:
You'll notice both more top end power and accel'n from more mid range torque. You'll loose that peak at 4000, because it will have a fatter torque curve below that. Some think that peak is good, but it's actually bad as you had nothing below 4000. There's definitely more than one cam. I just do them on an exchange basis. Postage is approx. $10, but I'll need to confirm that.

Thanks Peter,

thinking very seriously of putting in one of these babies in a couple of months. How much notice do you need?

Also, is there a lot of labour involved. My head and block is going to be in pieces so I'm hoping it would take no time at all to put this in.

cheers
Dave :dance:

David Shearer said:
Thanks Peter,

thinking very seriously of putting in one of these babies in a couple of months. How much notice do you need?

Also, is there a lot of labour involved. My head and block is going to be in pieces so I'm hoping it would take no time at all to put this in.

cheers
Dave :dance:

Just give me a weeks notice. There is no extra labour if the head is disassembled.