METEC Khanacross - 24 April

Do people suggest practicing handbrake turns beforehand? I've only ever done circuits rather then motorkhanas so never had to learn handbrake turns

I use the handbrake on the tight tests on the skidpan, but that's because my long-wheelbase land-yacht has too much angular mass to be considered 'agile'. Shorter wheelbase vehicles probably wouldn't need it.

These khanacross are faster, with less hand brake required than a motorkhana. You might want to try it, but it's not as necessary.
I'll probably bring the circuit car, which has a terrible handbrake and horrible rear vision, so hopefully no reversing either.
Look forward to meeting!

Is anyone bringing a tyre pressure gauge? My local store doesn't have the one I want and don't want to waste money just for one off use.

Is anyone bringing a tyre pressure gauge? My local store doesn't have the one I want and don't want to waste money just for one off use.
A tyre gauge is not a waste of money. Should use it every week.

And I'm all ready to go! What an afternoon though.

Hadn't started the car since February last year, and it wasn't cooperative.

Find a battery. Charge a battery. Crank, crank, crank, crank. No fuel pressure. Remove back seat. Tap fuel pump assembly while cranking. Crank, crank, crank.... stutter. Fired up! On a couple of cylinders, anyway. Lots of blue smoke. Give it a little throttle to clear it up. After 3 or 4 minutes, it was running on all cylinders, still plenty of blue smoke though. Time to make it move! No-joy - can't get any gears, clutch has stuck. Engine off, in gear, foot on clutch, crank engine. Bang! And the clutch was free. All gears selectable. Try to move - brakes have rusted together. More power, aggressive on the clutch, and bang! It breaks loose.
Took it for a quick spin up the driveway. Completely gutless and very rough. Quick bit of troubleshooting - fuel pressure is very low. Search the shed for a spare fuel pump. Replace fuel pump. Test drive again, finally have normal power.

I also decided to remove the towbar, which I figure isn't necessary on a track car. While I'm there, I notice that the inlet and outlet from the rear exhaust box is only 40mm pipe. Remove rear box, cut flange off and weld onto a spare non-genuine muffler. Re-assemble.

Head down to the local servo. Hire trailer. Take it home, and load car onto trailer and tie it down.

Turned out to be much more work than I anticipated, I shouldn't have left it till 2pm Friday afternoon!

Looking forward to tomorrow.

A tyre gauge is not a waste of money. Should use it every week.
Agree, it's just that my local autobarn had run out of the one I wanted so rather than settle for a sub I can find this one in the next few days.

Awesome day today! Thanks to Allan and the whole team for organising!
Did anyone hear when and where the timing will be released?

I'm collating the scores now. Hopefully I'll get them done tonight, then I can send them back to Allan who will audit them and then release provisional results. After a period of time for any protests, the official results will be emailed to all participants.

I'm collating the scores now. Hopefully I'll get them done tonight, then I can send them back to Allan who will audit them and then release provisional results. After a period of time for any protests, the official results will be emailed to all participants.
Protests?! Just let me have a KGB conversation with those :)

Here's a random sample of some of the participants competing today-

IMG_1841.jpg
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_1840.jpg
IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1845.jpg
IMG_1846.jpg
IMG_1843.jpg
IMG_1844.jpg

It looked like there wouldn’t have been enough French cars to fill the field. In fact I didn’t see any Renault’s or Citroen’s at all.
The eclectic mix of cars made for an interesting event IMO.

Yep, mix of cars is always great.

What fun little facility, do they use it for sport often?

That's the training centre at Bayswater?

Yes, METEC training centre in Colchester Rd. We would have the entire field Peugeots if enough people entered, we used to do this at DECA in Shepparton.

The FX Holden had plenty of go and was driven well but had stock suspension and tyres so you could really see how much improvement has occurred in the past 70 years, unless you compare it with a 203 which compares well with more modern cars.