Melbourne Mechanic

Not really a mechanic per se but it's relevant to Peugeots.

Avoid Bob Jane Tmart Prahran. I went there to get my new tyres balanced last month as they were the only place out of about 7 I called that had an adaptor for centreless rims. All was good until I got up to freeway speeds, then the wheel started to vibrate. Today I finally had some time to go elsewhere for a second opinion, Edgar's Tyrepower in Notting Hill (recommendation from a member of the PCC). They said that one wheel didn't have weights at all, and the others were out by as much as 30g. As an entire month has passed I don't like the chances of getting my money back from Bob Jane, but I certainly won't be going there again and neither should you. :mad:

I go to tyresmart in Mount Waverley. Not sure if they can do the centreless rims but worth a call. They use a hunter balancing machine (look it up). Never had a bad balance in my life there. Tyre prices are pretty good, and they will even balance internet purchased tyres and you can get them shipped direct to them.

As a note, Audi in Burwood have the same machine and charge $400 for a full balance ... these guys charge $20 per tyre!!!

Thanks for that, Edgar's have actually left a sour taste in my mouth recently. I needed a rebalance, they said one of the fronts had shifted and needed reseating. He says he flipped it 180° on the rim and did so along with the balance. When I got home I noticed a big circular gouge across two of the spokes, through the plastidip and into the rim itself. Very obviously the work of a machine and not gutter-rash (see pics) but they denied it could've been them. Still good apart from that though.

Attachments

• IMG_20150428_161111.jpg
    IMG_20150428_161111.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_20150428_161120.jpg
    IMG_20150428_161120.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_20150428_161130.jpg
    IMG_20150428_161130.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 538
Salman really knows his stuff-not only Pugs bit Range Rovers-has also worked on Cit's -B.M.W's & others.Has done impeccable restoration on cars & looks after some of the nicest Pugs around.

What a man I put petrol in my diesel 308 wagon DOH He came out and it was like watching a true craftsman at work,he fixed it at my house and got it running perfect after removing every mm of petrol . I have learnt my lesson but was so lucky to come across him to help me Thank you Salman and thank you Aussie Frogs

P.s He even made me a little fitter after two runs of getting diesel on the push bike : )

Last edited:
North of City-Some of the guidance is off track but non of us are perfect yet-despite how good we might reckon we are.

I guess it depends on where you actually are -I have known each the 3 owners of Sim's Motors=long time Renault Peugeot service/parts etc. All have been totally trustworthy & ethical.

I have known 'Young Dave' 2 French Connection for yonks-again straight up=_ do not know how much service they need or want at this stage -worth speaking to re. that but always worth contacting if in a pinch and or you need a part or three.

Im looking for a Pug-knowledgable (AL4) auto transmission mechanic in SE Melb.
Please post suggestions.
TIA.

Last edited:
maybe
Alpine Affaire Colin Stark 16 Pilgrim Crt Ringwood South 9874 1394
Auto Paris Paul Groom 2/51 Lexton Road Box Hill 9890 8822

Hi,
i bought a used 307 hatch recently. This is my first Peugeot. Any one can recommend a mechanic near berwick or dandenong to get it service...? Appreciated all advises.

cheers
ara

There's a list of 'Pug' mechanics in the second post of this thread. You'll find some in Box Hill, Ringwood etc.

For genuine Peugeot service (at a dealer premium), I never found a reason to complain about Booran Euro in Lonsdale Street, out towards Cranbourne Road. Otherwise (assuming you don't mind travelling), you might take a look at Alpine Affaire in Heathmont or Auto Paris in Box Hill -- both good value, both know their stuff.

Hi guys for dpf fluid replacement a gent called John will do it at your location in Melbourne for $495.00 inc computer reset
phone 0433119181 pleas say you are from aussiefrogs
cheers
Russ

I seem to remember, many years ago, visiting Melbourne Radio Parts in Spencer St.
I can't remember if I was after car related items or something else.
Has anyone any info on whether they sell useful car related parts?.
I miss Ryans.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Jaycar replacing Ryans is a reflection on what the modern car has (sadly?) become - electronic white goods.........for me sad times.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs