Melbourne Mechanic

Alpine Affaire. Can't go past them.Technical knowledge is second to none and their labour cost is very reasonable.

Another vote for Tony and the team at Spencer Street Autos. Took my 207 in today for its 60,000km service as well as concerns regarding a couple of errors being thrown by the ECU. They were thorough, checked into the errors, reported back in detail, explained all work done item by item, charged very fairly for the service (as well as a brake disc machining and brake pad replacement) and had the car ready to collect before the agreed pick-up time. Really impressive. There was nothing noticeably wrong with the drivability of the car before it went in, but it felt even better after it came out. Highly recommended and will definitely use them in the future.

Another vote for Spencer st

Another vote for Tony and the team at Spencer Street Autos. Took my 207 in today for its 60,000km service as well as concerns regarding a couple of errors being thrown by the ECU. They were thorough, checked into the errors, reported back in detail, explained all work done item by item, charged very fairly for the service (as well as a brake disc machining and brake pad replacement) and had the car ready to collect before the agreed pick-up time. Really impressive. There was nothing noticeably wrong with the drivability of the car before it went in, but it felt even better after it came out. Highly recommended and will definitely use them in the future.

I bought an S16 last year, which was in pretty good nic overall but just had a lot of small crappy things wrong, which were ruining my experience with the car. Tony gave it a thorough going over and identified everything that needed doing. We attacked all the important issues, and parked some other things for later. The car was transformed and became everything I had hoped it would be.

I definitely recommend this garage.

Can anyone confirm whether 504freak is still running his garage, need the clutch fork replaced on the 505 SRTD.

Doug from Pugworkshop Ballarat

Has anyone comments, corrections or deletions for the list of Melbourne (and Victorian) Mechanics above. Please post or PM them to me. Thanks

Hello Andre

I have found Doug from PugWorkshop Ballarat always helpful. He has a great 504 Trials car.
Right now he has fixed a water pump and timing chain on my 505 SLI wagon. He also looked over the fuel injection and flushed the radiator because they needed it. Fabulous. Next week he has the onerous task of replacing the gearbox mount. This is a tough job on the Series 2 wagon. I shared some detailed notes on the job from a website Peugeot Pete in USA. I added one of my ratchet winches and two thick rope slings to the parts for the job after reading Peugeot Petes notes. He listened to all this and might think it valuable

Well done Doug

Just on "Peugoplus/Europarts Ted Geermans 313a Reserve Rd Cheltenham ph (03) 9583 3766"

Rang last week, and sounds as though Ted has sold the business, asked about the GTi6 top engine mount and cracked chassie repair I've read he has helped other froggers with, and the new owner said they couldn't do that... sounds like

Spencer St again!

Definately Tony at Spencer St Auto.
Was buying a 307cc and needed to get pre-purchase inspection done. Had gone around for quotes. The first owner didn't 1 to drive to the city (I had to get state roads and Tony told me he could help me look through it.)

Tony looked through the state roads rpt and gave me advice on it. Had him look through another car but that turned out to be a lemon. In the end, I was just showing him pictures of all the cars I saw for his advice and he was very helpful. Nw finalizing a transfer, I'll def go back to him for servicing.

(Called Elliott beninda too for another job way north, he is fully booked out for 2 weeks! But was apologetic and gave me several pointers to look out for, i think he's ok)

Did 3 reports, State roads(ok), MTA(sydney, more detailed than state road) and Tony. Tony was the cheapest n d best and he helped me look thru the other 2. Great dude!

Last edited:
Melbourne Mechanics Database
These are not recommendations and they are listed at random. Please share your experiences - good and bad.

Alpine Affaire Colin Stark 4 Thanet Crt Ringwood 3134 9879 1961 www.alpineaffaire.com.au/

Auto Paris Paul Groom 2/51 Lexton Road Box Hill, 3128 Victoria www.autoparis.com.au/

Virage Motors 17 York St South Melbourne 9690 4283 Virage Motors | Renault Service and Repair Melbourne | Peugeot service and Repair Melbourne | South Melbourne Mechanical Repair | South Melbourne Car Service | South Melbourne Car Repair | Melbourne Road Worthy Certificate RWC

Elliott Beniada 0412 391 205 http://www.frenchgarage.com.au/ is now also a mobile mechanic

SIMS Motors Joe 1 Prentice St Brunswick 9381 2366

Citro Motors Mel Carey 15-17 Smith St Fitzroy 9419 4537 (retired Feb 2013 business closed)

Paris Motors Joe Portelli 42 Appleton St Richmond 94270111 est 1963.
Paris Motors - Citroen, Peugeot and Renault servicing and repairs, Richmond, Australia

TruTrack Suspension Ralph 52 Leveson St Nth Melbourne 9326 5392 Trutrack Car Suspension Melbourne | Car Suspension | Melbourne Dynamic Wheel Balancing

Dukes Automotive Duke 70-74 Smith St Kensington 9376 1188 DukesAuto

Hartrick European Automotive Neil Hartrick 99 Union Road Surrey Hills 03 9890 1802.

Howard Mackey Motors Mick 8-12 Binns Street Montmorency 03 9435 1097

Evan's Classic Car Garage Evan Factory 2 61 Lexton Rd Box Hill VIC 3129 03 9897 1956

Spencer St Automobiles Sam 409 Spencer St City 9329 3355 http://www.melbournecityproton.com.au/index2.html

Paris Jansen Brunswick 0419549549

I & F Automotive Andrew Hocking 83 McLeod Street Bairnsdale BH - (03) 5152 3718

Simply Prestige Peter Wight : Princes Hwy Traralgon 3844 VIC (03) 5172 1100

PugWorkShop Doug Norman 910 Howitt St Ballarat 5339 6425

Regan Motors 75-79 Auburn Rd Hawthorn 9882 1388

Universe Motors Paul Stratman 408 Swan St, RICHMOND, VIC, 3121

Peugoplus/Europarts Ted Geermans 313a Reserve Rd Cheltenham ph (03) 9583 3766

Malibu Motors Steve Unit 1 11 Inverlochy St Anglesea 5263 3722

504freak Brunswick 0419 549 549

Salman Mobile mechanic 0432 603 766 * any more information for this mechanic?

*Sam Mechkaroff 03 9848 2764 MORE DETAILS NEEDED PLEASE
Salman really knows his stuff-not only Pugs bit Range Rovers-has also worked on Cit's -B.M.W's & others.Has done impeccable restoration on cars & looks after some of the nicest Pugs around.

Took my Peugeot 206 GTi to Peugeoplus/Europarts(313A reserve rd Cheltenham) after checking this forum. Got timing belt water pump and tensioner pulley replaced in a very reasonable price. Fernando is honest and reliable guy and an expert in Peugos. I was pretty happy with his service well only problem was to get there as I live in northern suburb. Would definitely go back there and recommend to all fellow members.

Hi All. Just wanted to to do Joe at Sims in Brunswick a favor and say I was impressed with his service. After 20 years of driving Subaru's I bought my first European car a few weeks back - a Peugeot 407 sports wagon. Getting older but had only done 105,000km (I am loving it!). I as a bit nervous as had heard horror stories about servicing Euro cars. I found this site after googling good Peugeot Mechanics in Melbourne and after reading this thread decided I would try Sims because its 4 km from my house.

Basic service only cost a little more than a Subaru at my old mechanic and he gave me heaps of advice. Even offered me to try (drive) his car (also a 407) to compare responsiveness. Gave me other advice how to source a cheap electronic console (which is on the blink) and generally appears very trustworthy and knowledgeable.

Here is hoping ive found a good mechanic for the the long run. Hard to find. Thought the least I could do is contribute something to the forum as I learn more about my 407.

Cheers
Aussierogue

Thanks for the recommendation EaglePeg;

As a fresh Pugeot owner (2001 206 GTI 138) I went on the above recommendation to see Fernando at Europarts (313A Reserve Rd Cheltenham), and I cannot recommend him highly enough.

When I first brought the car in to check out an odd noise he spent half an hour with me (including putting it on the hoist) before diagnosing it as clutch related and recommending it wait till the clutch was worn and warranted replacement. He refused to charge me for this service.

Needless to say I brought the car back for the major service (the following week), and not only was the work done to an excellent standard, but at a price lower than any of "fixedpricecarservicing.com" quotes. It is also of note that the price was kept within that originally quoted, despite more work being done than originally planned.

Fernando also took the time to explain key aspects of his work, what to look out for as the car ages, and recommend a place for AC regassing.

In short, this mechanic is highly recommended, for expertise (previously a dealer mechanic), price and customer service - I would drive from anywhere in Melbourne. On a practical note, Cheltenham station is a 15-20min walk Or 3min bus ride, and while the phone isn't always answered messages are always returned.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thanks for the recommendation EaglePeg;

As a fresh Pugeot owner (2001 206 GTI 138) I went on the above recommendation to see Fernando at Europarts (313A Reserve Rd Cheltenham), and I cannot recommend him highly enough.
Slightly related, if you have exhaust needs then Paul @ Exhaust City is only seconds down the road and has been good for me in the past. When my 306 was dobbed in to the EPA for noise he gave me potential costs for the whole exhaust, then only replaced the part that absolutely needed it & was enough to get it within legal limits, and advised me the rear muffler was on borrowed time (rather than just doing the job without asking). Cost was bang on what he quoted, no hidden surprises. Recently went back to get the rear one done (a year after the first visit) and received the same level of service.

Another +1 for Sim's as well. I've been back for a service and a few small jobs, always come away happy. Which reminds me...have to get back there to see how Grant's GTi6 is going!

Which reminds me...have to get back there to see how Grant's GTi6 is going!

That thing looks fantastic under the bonnet! I've never seen such a clean engine that wasn't in a show car!

Via the aussiefrogs App

Cheers Trinity! I'm actually in the market for some exhaust work - the 206 has some sort of throttle/RPM dependent rattle (kind of tapping) which is thought to be coming from either the manifold or proximal exhaust.

Cheers Trinity! I'm actually in the market for some exhaust work - the 206 has some sort of throttle/RPM dependent rattle (kind of tapping) which is thought to be coming from either the manifold or proximal exhaust.

Yeah common problem , I fix it all the time at work. Extractor pipes in exhaust manifold come apart and rattle. Hours labour and all done ;)

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thanks! I've read that this is a pretty common problem.

I know this perhaps isn't the right thread for this post but could that manifold issue also explain an O2 sensor error code?

The car otherwise runs well, if slightly rough when cold (kinda feels like a little shake through seat, rpm doesn't fluctuate. Only when on idle). Becomes almost imperceptible after a few mins to warm up.

I'm not sure if this is just a property of the car but there's also a slight lag on the throttle, I.e. when shifting up, clutch in and the rpm increase slightly before dropping down even though the accelerator is in neutral position.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Pekay, can you post Salman's business name, address and phone so I can update the list and James, did Fernando work with Ted at Peugoplus Cheltenham or is he the new owner?