Melbourne Mechanic

G'day,

Hay, has anyone had there car serviced at Virage Motors from the list above? just wanted to know your thoughts. thanks

Fantastic when the old guy was there, Herman ? He did a great job converting the old r20 from auto to manual under duress - bloody floor pans are different between the two models !

Wasn't that impressed with them after he retired.

cheers,
Bob

I've had a bit of work done at Sims Motors over the past month or so. Joe seems to do good work and I'll definitely be taking my 405 back in future. The fact that it's about a 1km from home helps!!

Another for the list is Peugoplus/Europarts at 313a Reserve Rd. Cheltenham. ph (03) 9583 3766 which is run by Ted Geermans. He's a mate of my fathers, and I've had the 405 serviced once, and was very happy with the work done and prices. The 3.5hr round trip was the only down side for me.

I had been having work done at Virage, but found that they only did the bare essentials of what you requested, and didn't really give a heads up on other issues found. The last time I had work done the radiator was left filled below minimum.

cheers
Paul

Another for the list is Peugoplus/Europarts at 313a Reserve Rd. Cheltenham. ph (03) 9583 3766 which is run by Ted Geermans.
I had been having work done at Virage, but found that they only did the bare essentials of what you requested, and didn't really give a heads up on other issues found. The last time I had work done the radiator was left filled below minimum.

Hay Paul, thanks for the info about Virage but a HUGE thanks for sharing Peugoplus/Europarts as it is so much closer to me than Virage. Thanks again, John

Glad to be of help. I'd would have been more than happy to keep taking the 405 to Ted but travel time to/from Brunswick was a big issue. Having a good mechanic that is easy to get the car to is a winning combination ;)

Some days are diamonds, some days are stone...it's the same with humans. Ted Geermans of Europarts is a diamond, what he doesn't know about Peugeots isn't worth knowing I'd say? I've had over 30 cars and 5 motorcycles, this is my first foray into French cars, '89 405 Mi16 (what was I thinking, or drinking that day?).
I needed a list of parts, Ted was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable, the parts were very reasonably priced and I thoroughly recommend Europarts at 313a Reserve Road (cnr Park Street) Cheltenham, (03) 9583 3766 and ask for Ted.

Recently, July 8th 2011, I found a great place to get my 405 Mi16 Roadworthied, The Renno Workshop, Factory 1, 30 Kookaburra Street Frankston I can also recommend. Phone (03) 9783 7433. Gary Buntine has been fixing all French makes, and non-frogs, for 30 years and knows a thing or two. The Renno Workshop is a Licensed Vehicle Tester and an RACV agent. Cheers. Happy Motoring Froggers.

Last edited:
Over the years everyone who goes there seems to be pleased with the work Sam does on their car. Just check that he is still there.

I use them. They appear to know what they are doing and are reasonable re price.

had a service done on my 206 a while a go ... the first and last time! Drove off only to be pulled up at a red light for both of my rear brake light not working!!

software upgrade

Has anyone tried that pug place on Elizabeth st. in the city?? I need to go somewhere where they can do a software upgrade on the cars computer. Many of the mechanics don't have the equipment to do this.

thanks

mordster

Do you mean Melbourne Peugeot? If so they have moved onto Victoria Pde, North Melbourne. Took 306 there some years ago and had to take it back again because oil cap not put back and a few other bits.

City Peugeot's service dept is now at Swanston Street, between Queensberry and Grattan Street. Their dealership is at North Melbourne, though.

HI All

Well after enquiring about Spencer Street, I ended up having my 307 serviced at Universe Motors as this was more convenient and people seemed to have some nice things to say about them.

Unfortunately, our relationship has gotten off to a bad start. Much to my dismay, the big timing belt service was due. Wanting to look after the rig (so it will look after me) I decided to go ahead with the service. Since having it done, I have driven the car approx four times, the longest being a drive to Ascot Vale on Sat. While it runs fine, I noticed a diesel smell through the air-conditioning, quite strong. It had a faint smell of this when I picked it up, but thought it would clear. This morning we went out, I noticed a rather large puddle of diesel under the car.

After spending almost $2000 on having a regular service (which I thought was quite expensive at $560), then timing belt (including replacing the water pump) and some rewiring of my front indicators ($300 and I still have the same problem on the passenger side) this is a very disappointing outcome. "Luckily" I'm taking the car back tomorrow to have the indicator looked at, so I can address the fuel leakage problem with them.

This was a lot of money for me to spend and I am disappointed at this outcome. I took the car on a Friday and due to the size of the job, they were not able to complete it on the day, so I was without it for a weekend, which wasn't ideal, but I was happy to leave the car there and not rush them, so the job could be completed right, the first time.

In fairness to Universe, I will update this after tomorrow, when I hopefully have a positive resolution, however, right now, I don't feel very positive.

So, an update on Universe. :)

I took the car in this morning and Paul was very reasonable and even-tempered. He seemed genuinely concerned that I had had problems and promised to look at the rig first thing.

I just received a call and it appears we have resolution. The fuel filter was changed and for whatever reason, the seal was not sealing. This has been replaced and looks to be all sorted.

The indicator problem has been isolated to a loose earth in the plug socket, also fixed.

Paul did say he stood behind his work and that is the truth. I appreciate that he prioritised investigating my issues and I especially praise him for not making me feel like it was my fault or implying that I had in some way caused these problems. I still feel that the regular service was a bit pricey, but at least I feel that Universe is somewhere I can trust.

LK

One for the list.

If you ever find yourself down on or near the Great Ocean Road and need work on your beasty, there is a dude in Anglesea who knows his Pugs.

Steve runs Malibu Motors in Anglesea. Apparently he worked at a dealership for many years. He doesn't have the lastest computer diagnostic gears, but he has worked on just about every Pug model there is. Which is more than can be said for some mechanics at Pug dealerships. This is especially true for the ones that are dealers for a bunch of car brands and the French ones are just a side-line - IMHO. He recently did the timing belt on my wife's 306 and did a great job. :approve:

Some days are diamonds, some days are stone...it's the same with humans. Ted Geermans of Europarts is a diamond, what he doesn't know about Peugeots isn't worth knowing I'd say? I've had over 30 cars and 5 motorcycles, this is my first foray into French cars, '89 405 Mi16 (what was I thinking, or drinking that day?).
I needed a list of parts, Ted was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable, the parts were very reasonably priced and I thoroughly recommend Europarts at 313a Reserve Road (cnr Park Street) Cheltenham, (03) 9583 3766 and ask for Ted.

Not that it means much as this is my first post after 'the great crash' but
I can vouch for Ted at Europarts.

I have been going there for since 2004.
A fantastic and honest guy that knows his stuff.

Yesterday i purchased a 205 gti MI16 and though i now live an hour away i will be taking it to ted to look after.

I'd like to give an extra recommendation for 504freak, who is also a sponsor here on aussiefrogs.
He has a workshop in Brunswick and has been ever so fair and helpful in keeping my 505 on the road this year.
His no is 0419549549