Megane GT 4 (2016-2018) common problems?

clse945111

Tadpole
Today I inspected a Megane GT and I liked it, although the AC is not working so I'm not sure if it's a common issue for this car.

Is it recommended that I buy the car (potentially for cheaper) and go repair it under warranty? It still has quite a few months left.

Does this car have any common problems that I should look out for?

Certainly the Megane 3 RS cars seem to have many compressors fail. Don't know if it is a design failing in the Delphi brand compressors originally fitted, or the often high revs they are made to put up with. I replaced mine with a Nissens brand unit that I got sent from the UK. All up including freight was $530 about 8 months ago. After looking at some forums saying the front bar, radiator, intercooler and various other parts needed to be removed to fit it, I actually changed without removing any of these things. Tight and sometimes blind, I did it in about 2.5 Hours. $120 to vacuum and gas it. Working fine so far.

Sorry I don't have any personal dealings with the Megane 4 GT. My parents in law are having a good run with no hassles in their standard 1.2L Turbo Megane 4 manual. It is up around 100K now.

My Grandson has just purchased privately a Renault Megane (2016) GT Line Auto diesel wagon. It is a well appointed vehicle in very good condition. It seems to have an issue with the fuel system. If the vehicle is left parked for more than an hour or so, it will not start unless the diesel fuel primer under the bonnet is pumped a couple of times. The message on the dash says "check the injection system". It had a service at 75,000km, including all filters etc. It now has 79,000km. Fuel pump issue?? Any suggestions or previous experiences?

Sounds like a leak from the high pressure rail, but could be a non-return valve somewhere allowing fuel to drain back down to the primer pump.

OK Thanks for the input.
Logic suggests something along those lines, as the car seems to drive OK; it did a 400km+ trip home after purchase with only the occasional engine "stumble" after starting. Diagnostics will be plugged into the engine in a week or so.

I would say if the car was still under warranty that getting it repaired by the dealer would make the most sense.

I find it amazing that original owners just can't be bothered getting something like that fixed. There shouldn't really be any difference in the price as it will not be a cost to you anyway.

Cheers

Justin

this sounds like a problem i had with a peugeot 307 diesel, the seal on the lid of the engine mounted fuel filter, was leaking air ,allowing fuel to drain back to tank ,has the filter been changed recently .PUGS

Thanks for the replies so far. Re the fuel filter seal, will check that out. Having to pump the fuel primer before starting gets a bit monotonous, but hopefully not for long.

this sounds like a problem i had with a peugeot 307 diesel, the seal on the lid of the engine mounted fuel filter, was leaking air ,allowing fuel to drain back to tank ,has the filter been changed recently .PUGS
Just an update re the cause of the need to prime the diesel GT Line Megane. The fuel filter cannister in the engine bay also incorporates a fuel heater; I guess that mainly caters for the European market. It would seem that, perhaps on the last service, excessive force has been applied to the cannister, using the heater attachment, which has caused a fuel leak between the heater and the fuel cannister.
Nil stock Australia, so on back order. Will update after replacement, hopefully before the demise of aussiefrogs.com??
Meanwhile, the grandson is very much enjoying the car.

Just an update re the cause of the need to prime the diesel GT Line Megane. The fuel filter cannister in the engine bay also incorporates a fuel heater; I guess that mainly caters for the European market. It would seem that, perhaps on the last service, excessive force has been applied to the cannister, using the heater attachment, which has caused a fuel leak between the heater and the fuel cannister.
Nil stock Australia, so on back order. Will update after replacement, hopefully before the demise of aussiefrogs.com??
Still awaiting the arrival of the fuel cannister / fuel heater unit from France. Am told that many European made cars are having parts delays since Covid 19, but I guess we just have to wait. The car is running very well & has done a few long trips.

This is a handy site for reviewing specific models, although probably not all inclusive of fault lists. Don't let the curious URL deter you - it is a great resource.

Hi this is a bit old but a useful warning thread. :(
Just a note on looking at codes for problems like this. The computer might see a fault and put a guessing code, but probably not, as it has no electrical connection to the crack or leak.
So you still do need to do proper mechanical trouble shooting to find mechanical faults and any codes may lead you 'up the garden path' and be a waste of time.:confused:
Jaahn

Still awaiting the arrival of the fuel cannister / fuel heater unit from France. Am told that many European made cars are having parts delays since Covid 19, but I guess we just have to wait. The car is running very well & has done a few long trips.
New fuel filter plus heater now fitted before Christmas. At a guess, I would have tried replacing the O Rings first, as they seem to be the method for sealing between the fuel filter body & the heater. Other than that, the car is running well.