Megane giving me a message I can't ignore? STEERING FAULT !!

Besides Ken, don't you really, really want that C6 at Greys..
What a beautiful car that is craving for some love.

Dave

Same thing happened to my old Megane.
Any series two Megane steering column will fit, the computer just tells the steering motor what assistance is needed depending on the model (standard, Sport, Cup etc).
Dave Collier did mine, he sourced one from a wrecker.

Dave

And with a CLIP you can change the assistance settings by telling the computer what car its in ;)

Besides Ken, don't you really, really want that C6 at Greys..
What a beautiful car that is craving for some love.

Dave
Hah
So many things going on right now I'm just thankful the Laguna has been able to pick up where the Megane left off, Still considering options, haven't yet hit panic mode, though if anything else goes wrong, may have to change those priorities. I am trying to emulate a duck on a pond, calm on top of the water but paddling like hell underneath to stay afloat!!

But thanks.

Ken

Long story with a happy ending folks (y)My thanks to Haakon re his offer, it has been a real saga but the Megane Diesel is again back on the road pristine and also has its handbrake that suffered the internal disintegration that they do, but easily fixed with a cable tie or two! and getting used to it... It went like this before Christmas 2020 our P plate neighbor ran into the rear of the car, no problem their insurance would pay for the fix. Then some time later while pulling out of a parkingbay locally the dreaded STEERING FAIL came up on the dash. You could drive it, but without power steering it was like driving an old truck and that would be unsafe in modern traffic. It was also overdue for service due to our Covid Lockdowns and not able to get it to a repairers, it just sat in the street. So many other things going on in our life at this time, so apart from asking here and getting a lot of help from Haakon as to how to fix the problem etc. (thanks mate) and with the lockdowns taking a toll on my aged body I determined that I would not tackle the task of fixing it myself, those days are gone. I searched Melbourne for places that might do the job, but the standard answer seemed to be that while they hadn't dealt fixing one, bring it over and we will have a look at it.!! Not really reassuring, and no idea of parameter of cost.. :(

Decided the only way to bring this to a conclusion was use RACV insurance to progress the claim re the now distant accident and also use their Total Care coverage to get the car taken for assessment. After my tale of woe it appeared they thought writing the car off under the claim was an appropriate way of dealing with it. It was duly picked up and taken for assessment, then I was rung by the Assessor, did it really need writing off as in his opinion it was quite repairable. Just before this "Australdi" my daughter Dianne was over from Tasmania and the car she was using (an Alpha) had developed a celospeed problem and even though we hunted far and wide in Melbourne, most experienced mechanics warned the fix might be horrendously expensive and even the experts would not put a figure on that :eek:

So two cars down! Fortunately Dave Cavanagh of French Connection came to the rescue, they had a "too good to wreck" insurance car that deserved to be back on the road and perfect to bring back Australdi from the dark side as she was the one that introduced me many years ago to the driving and working on French cars (The Fuego). Well due to magnificent work, Dianne ended up with a petrol fueled Megane but so well maintained, it was outstanding, and I thank all for their help in returning her to a French Megane!

While there I mentioned to Chris that the Diesel Megane might be written off and come to them and he told me that the Steering fault was one that he had fixed, so he was willing to tackle it..:love::dance: Next it was getting the repaired car flat bedded to French Connection and thanks to the Supervisor in RACV Total Care, she did a fine job and the car landed at French Connection this week and conveniently they had a Diesel Megane in as a donor for both the steering and handbrake fix, A day later I got the phone call it was ready for pick-up. Got to give high Praise for Chris Cavanagh who worked on it and Dave Cavanagh, Magnificent job.

So very happy to have the Megane back on deck..Well done French Connection 34 King Street (03) 9338 8191 - great service much appreciated.

Ken:)

Long story with a happy ending folks (y)My thanks to Haakon re his offer, it has been a real saga but the Megane Diesel is again back on the road pristine and also has its handbrake that suffered the internal disintegration that they do, but easily fixed with a cable tie or two! and getting used to it... It went like this before Christmas 2020 our P plate neighbor ran into the rear of the car, no problem their insurance would pay for the fix. Then some time later while pulling out of a parkingbay locally the dreaded STEERING FAIL came up on the dash. You could drive it, but without power steering it was like driving an old truck and that would be unsafe in modern traffic. It was also overdue for service due to our Covid Lockdowns and not able to get it to a repairers, it just sat in the street. So many other things going on in our life at this time, so apart from asking here and getting a lot of help from Haakon as to how to fix the problem etc. (thanks mate) and with the lockdowns taking a toll on my aged body I determined that I would not tackle the task of fixing it myself, those days are gone. I searched Melbourne for places that might do the job, but the standard answer seemed to be that while they hadn't dealt fixing one, bring it over and we will have a look at it.!! Not really reassuring, and no idea of parameter of cost.. :(

Decided the only way to bring this to a conclusion was use RACV insurance to progress the claim re the now distant accident and also use their Total Care coverage to get the car taken for assessment. After my tale of woe it appeared they thought writing the car off under the claim was an appropriate way of dealing with it. It was duly picked up and taken for assessment, then I was rung by the Assessor, did it really need writing off as in his opinion it was quite repairable. Just before this "Australdi" my daughter Dianne was over from Tasmania and the car she was using (an Alpha) had developed a celospeed problem and even though we hunted far and wide in Melbourne, most experienced mechanics warned the fix might be horrendously expensive and even the experts would not put a figure on that :eek:

So two cars down! Fortunately Dave Cavanagh of French Connection came to the rescue, they had a "too good to wreck" insurance car that deserved to be back on the road and perfect to bring back Australdi from the dark side as she was the one that introduced me many years ago to the driving and working on French cars (The Fuego). Well due to magnificent work, Dianne ended up with a petrol fueled Megane but so well maintained, it was outstanding, and I thank all for their help in returning her to a French Megane!

While there I mentioned to Chris that the Diesel Megane might be written off and come to them and he told me that the Steering fault was one that he had fixed, so he was willing to tackle it..:love::dance: Next it was getting the repaired car flat bedded to French Connection and thanks to the Supervisor in RACV Total Care, she did a fine job and the car landed at French Connection this week and conveniently they had a Diesel Megane in as a donor for both the steering and handbrake fix, A day later I got the phone call it was ready for pick-up. Got to give high Praise for Chris Cavanagh who worked on it and Dave Cavanagh, Magnificent job.

So very happy to have the Megane back on deck..Well done French Connection 34 King Street (03) 9338 8191 - great service much appreciated.

Ken:)
Great story Ken and similar outcome!!

You should of asked Dav if you could of taken his red diesel Meg 175 for a drive
:p:p Might have kept driving, if it is that good! :D Don't want to be tempted with anything, just enjoy our own for a while. Might even give it a wash and shine between showers today, to show it is appreciated..

Ken;)

Reactions: COL
Nice one. Sorry I didn’t make it down to Victoria earlier to swap that out, but I don’t imagine it took Dave long to do it!

Nice one. Sorry I didn’t make it down to Victoria earlier to swap that out, but I don’t imagine it took Dave long to do it!
Chris Cavanagh did the work, very quickly and also did the handbrake assembly changeover. I had got used to the unpicked appearance of the old one and also the little tricks with small cable ties, but when my son borrowed the car on one of his rare (these days) visits to "Lockatoria" last year he berated me about it (as Psychologists can do..!) ;)

So when Chris had the other Donor Megane Wreck in, I had pre-booked the part! :) as well. Yes, it was quick and I appreciate the bits and pieces that he attended to while it was there and done in such a remarkable short time.

Haakon, I appreciate your wonderful example of what Aussiefrogs was always famous for, looking after one another and ever ready to help as the opportunities present themselves. Hope all goes well for you and Kirsty and no more of those famous Canberra storms wreaking havoc on your cars, stay safe and well mate.(y)

Ken