massive oil leak from gearbox

Cheeks

Fellow Frogger
I was wondering if any one could help me?

I was driving my car and there was a noise, got out of the car to have a look and there was a massive fluid leaking from around the gearbox.
I pushed the car home and now it is locked still even with the handbrake off in neautral the car will now not roll????
Its a 205 GTI 1989
Thanks

Cheeks,

You will have to do a little more visual checking around under the car to see if it is engine oil or gearbox oil.
It is very rare for the car not to move at all
The engine could have seized and then even damaged your gearbox but as u mentioned u pushed it home so it's a mystery why u can't move it the next day.

Murat

no once i got it home and it rolled back on the hill it locked up. i started it again and put it in 1st gear and it still drives. its just when the car is not on it is locks up. also when the car is off the brake pedal cant be pushed at all its very hard. i pretty sure its gearbox or diff oil.
thanks
Cheeks

Hmm I once had that in a Volkswagen Type 3. I thrashed the poor bastard until one day only 1st gear in the auto worked. Going up a hill, in top revs in 1st, all of a sudden the back wheels locked up and I came to a sudden halt. I went "WTF?!"

I pushed the car as hard as I could (backwards, down the hill) to try and get it 'unlocked'.

It turned out there was a few broken teeth from the diff wedged between the diff and diff casing.

Once I pushed it free, a 50c piece chunk of the diff housing broke off and my auto trans fluid spewed everywhere.

I managed to drive 1 block to home :) , drained the fluid, cleaned it all up and glued the 50c piece metal chunk back in place with gasket glue.

When it was set, I refilled the auto trans fluid, and drove about 10ks in 1st gear to a workshop that could fit my spare gearbox... :)

I was a dodgy bastard back then.. ;)