many Renaults and parts *STOLEN*, Epping VIC :(

yeah I reckon Andrews got a point, unless the theives are completely dumb the vehicles are worth much more than scrap value, so here's hoping their greed gets the better of them and at least one vehicle surfaces for sale soon. on the other hand they may be sitting on them and hoping the search for them will go away.... we can only hope they are still out there intact..... jim
Do we have any reason to believe the thieves knew what was in the containers? I mean was there any opportunity for an outsider to see the containers open, cars outside, etc? If not, I would say it is a fair assumption the thieves were after the containers. They may have had a surprise when they found the cars and it's anyone's bet what they did after that. Maybe they talked to someone to see what was the treasure they found, maybe they just tried to dump everything like a hot potato asap. I am inclined to believe it's the latter.

Either way, I think the best source of info (for a criminal scoping out the target) and the prime suspects are the people closest to the containers. People living on the property. People working in the gas station. Neighbours. I think statistically speaking it is most likely someone you know who is going to hit you. They have access to information, can plan it, can choose the right time. If they're smart, the whole thing goes quick and to plan. Things are here now, gone five minutes later. The fact that you can still see one container there and some cars out lying about to me it suggests it was a bunch of people who didn't know much and didn't plan well. I would say you're chasing a couple of guys with a truck big enough to drag a container on but not big enough to take it fully loaded. They probably didn't expect to find the cars in, or so many of them and parts, big things, difficult to move without cranes, hoists/whatever. That kinda smacks of scrappies not organised car squad crime. They did however know they could take their time, or didn't know, but they realised after taking the first container when they saw nothing moved that they can have another bite at the cherry.

Did you have any phones around that time? Acquaintances from the area? Maybe they were just checking that you don't know anything and are not about to show up. I have a friend who was robbed that way. He was at the coffee shop with a colleague whilst this guy's brother was robbing his house. The robber was on the phone the whole time with his brother to check my friend didn't move. See what you have and think about it. You might have had some suspicious calls you thought nothing about back then.

Last edited:
Do we have any reason to believe the thieves knew what was in the containers? I mean was there any opportunity for an outsider to see the containers open, cars outside, etc? If not, I would say it is a fair assumption the thieves were after the containers. They may have had a surprise when they found the cars and it's anyone's bet what they did after that. Maybe they talked to someone to see what was the treasure they found, maybe they just tried to dump everything like a hot potato asap. I am inclined to believe it's the latter.

Either way, I think the best source of info (for a criminal scoping out the target) and the prime suspects are the people closest to the containers. People living on the property. People working in the gas station. Neighbours. I think statistically speaking it is most likely someone you know who is going to hit you. They have access to information, can plan it, can choose the right time. If they're smart, the whole thing goes quick and to plan. Things are here now, gone five minutes later. The fact that you can still see one container there and some cars out lying about to me it suggests it was a bunch of people who didn't know much and didn't plan well. I would say you're chasing a couple of guys with a truck big enough to drag a container on but not big enough to take it fully loaded. They probably didn't expect to find the cars in, or so may of them and parts, big things, difficult to move without cranes, hoists/whatever. That kinda smacks of scrappies not organised car squad crime. They did however know they could take their time, or didn't know, but they realised after taking the first container when they saw nothing moved that they can have another bite at the cherry.

Did you have any phones around that time? Acquaintances from the area? Maybe they were just checking that you don't know anything and are not about to show up. I have a friend who was robbed that way. He was at the coffee shop with a colleague whilst this guy's brother was robbing his house. The robber was on the phone the whole time with his brother to check my friend didn't move. See what you have and think about it. You might have had some suspicious calls you thought nothing about back then.
nothing apparent in the phone logs unfortunately.

Just saw this on F/B: Containers are at a premium!
image_2021-07-20_100949.png

Attachments

• image_2021-07-20_100848.png
    image_2021-07-20_100848.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 116
Just saw this on F/B: Containers are at a premium! View attachment 134662

Doubled in price since I bought mine which makes them over 5k each now.

And took me a while to save at that price :(
Its going to be near impossible to track them down I think.

I'm more focused on the cars, but hoping the thieves were sloppy.

Any news...?
Thanks Haakon, no nudda. Its still a living hell tbh.

I'll be speaking with the OIC at Epping police station in the morning, the constable that took my statement(s) may no longer be in charge if it's been forwarded to the crime squad.
She will then be obligated to report back to the OIC, who in turn will be able to tell me what the progress is.

I've given them details of the cars, dates etc.. address wrecking yard and confirmed with the owner still has 'old Renault parts' for sale.

I would have found it very hard not to visit and confront the wrecking yard owner by now had I been in VIC, but I might still have to fly over to have any chance of recovering anything.

Thanks Haakon, no nudda. Its still a living hell tbh.

I'll be speaking with the OIC at Epping police station in the morning, the constable that took my statement(s) may no longer be in charge if it's been forwarded to the crime squad.
She will then be obligated to report back to the OIC, who in turn will be able to tell me what the progress is.

I've given them details of the cars, dates etc.. address wrecking yard and confirmed with the owner still has 'old Renault parts' for sale.

I would have found it very hard not to visit and confront the wrecking yard owner by now had I been in VIC, but I might still have to fly over to have any chance of recovering anything.
Lightning response by the sound of it. Good luck as ever!

me too been wondering how things were progressing PUGS

Don't hold your breath. Victoria Police have much more important things to do than solving actual crime. Like shooting gas and rubber bullets at protesters, chasing down the unmasked and fitting up people they don't like in order to abuse bail laws. NSW Police are no better. It takes 20 of them to abuse and detain one disabled woman. They are seeding a generation of mistrust and hate. Sad, but true.

Don't hold your breath. Victoria Police have much more important things to do than solving actual crime. Like shooting gas and rubber bullets at protesters, chasing down the unmasked and fitting up people they don't like in order to abuse bail laws. NSW Police are no better. It takes 20 of them to abuse and detain one disabled woman. They are seeding a generation of mistrust and hate. Sad, but true.
What Haakon said there is no progress and I’m devistated.

I’ve given the police a short list of people if interest and the location of the wreckers they were sold.

The wrecker stlll has a bunch of old renault parts apparently, and no investigation has been started.

I’ve pretty much lost all hope in recovering a thing :(

Perhaps ive been watching too many movies, but maybe look at a private investigator?

There is a Melbourne media personality and Citroën fan on this forum, used to have a morning radio spot. Not sure if he's seen this thread and could advise on getting the lack of progress highlighted?

am i right in understanding that a heap of old Renault parts (unsure if yours or not) were sold to a wrecker and there has been no follow up to it?
Correct, pretty sure they were mine.
For example x4 R16 motors one of them TX, a Fuego motor and a bunch of 17 4 speed gearboxes and allot rims etc etc. R16 roo bar and TX trim would be pretty rare too.
I gave the police a pretty extensive list and some photos

Oh Vivid so annoyed on your behalf :S

I just can't imagine why this kind of property theft isn't followed up. A wrecker would have insurance against being sold stolen sh1t, you have proof / photos, serials no doubt, how is this a difficult complaint :(

I just can't imagine why this kind of property theft isn't followed up. A wrecker would have insurance against being sold stolen sh1t, you have proof / photos, serials no doubt, how is this a difficult complaint :(
A wrecker SHOULD HAVE that insurance.

I don’t know how much the industry has been cleaned up over the years, but in my past experience, I wouldn’t take that insurance to be a given.

Have you revved up your Member of Parliament?

Or got someone to buy one of "your" Renault parts so you can produce an affidavit that you bought your own stolen property from "X Wreckers"?

Do you have someone competent at the Victorian end to chase things up face to face?

Must be very hard from another state.....

Good luck, as ever.

The reason it was not followed up could be very complicated. The thieves could be connected to a large group where your theft was part of their day to day activities to generate income from various activities. Police could be monitoring activity to catch bigger fish. There could be many other reasons why the Police have not acted. The politics of crime investigation and prosecution of persons known to Police is very complicated with many twists and turns.
Media attention is a very big part of the game.