many Renaults and parts *STOLEN*, Epping VIC :(

Hoping the police will do their job, I'm in Tasmania so very limited to what I can do from here without flying over.
I don’t understand that bit - in this day and age of video conferencing especially.

Without wanting to appear to be a stalker ... it seems fairly easy to find via Google Earth given the power lines, but that shows only the yellow container and no cars in the open. When did the red container turn up? VicRoads may have camera records from the nearby intersection and there are several nearby businesses who would have street security coverage. There isn't really any other way out of that area. If you can find the date of Google image it may help you know if they all went in one go or one at a time. Maybe, also check Street view. Google do update both periodically. Perhaps, a friend can add some other wreck to the yard with a motion sensitive camera nearby and wait for the opportunsts to return???

Oh dude I’m so sorry. This is heartbreaking. :(

Let us know if we Melbourneites can help.

Will keep an eye out of course! :(

David that is devastating to hear that and the inaction, Probably too long retired, but will make a couple of inquiries to see how this can be progressed. I hope the additional interest in tracking these will turn up some information or even locate them for you. Obviously some insider information or local interest to target containers like that.

Ken

Without wanting to appear to be a stalker ... it seems fairly easy to find via Google Earth given the power lines, but that shows only the yellow container and no cars in the open. When did the red container turn up? VicRoads may have camera records from the nearby intersection and there are several nearby businesses who would have street security coverage. There isn't really any other way out of that area. If you can find the date of Google image it may help you know if they all went in one go or one at a time. Maybe, also check Street view. Google do update both periodically. Perhaps, a friend can add some other wreck to the yard with a motion sensitive camera nearby and wait for the opportunsts to return???
I thought you may have the wrong address as I gave the police a screen shot of google earth showing both containers.

but I just went there via chrome just now and can see the old image with only one container.

not sure why google is showing a newer image on the ipad.

this is a much more updated shot than google.maps via the browser gives me.

Attachments

• small_sat.jpg
    small_sat.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 174
David that is devastating to hear that and the inaction, Probably too long retired, but will make a couple of inquiries to see how this can be progressed. I hope the additional interest in tracking these will turn up some information or even locate them for you. Obviously some insider information or local interest to target containers like that.

Ken

thanks Ken, I know they are under-staffed.

I only discovered this afternoon that the officer 'taking' my statement is away until the 17th after getting out of office replies from her email.

As I mentioned I've had a very generous Aussiefrogger front up to Epping police station on Monday but they didn't take an official statement, just the badge number of the officer that took my 'unofficial' statement, told him they'd 'pass it on' and would be in contact.

I can't wait until the 17th to start an investigation so I'll be calling them again Monday morning.

I've been frantically calling around for Renault spares and cars at wreckers and tilt companies but its like looking for a needle in a haystack.

VicRoads wouldn't let me report a car stolen without a police report, and mentioned they would normally deal with the police not me.

Streetview in a browser shows an image apparently taken April 2021 with no containers, no cars, no water tank, but a blue prime mover parked inside. Maybe, an open red container moved further back? Do you see same with ipad?

It looks like nearmap would photograph that location approx every second month if anyone on here has a subscription.

It looks like nearmap would photograph that location approx every second month if anyone on here has a subscription.
Thanks guys, I can see cars have been pulled out in March, and the dauphine out in the field with all its doors bonnet and boot open.
By April its all gone so this is now months old.

I'm even more gutted now :(

:( Where have you found the additional imagery?

:( Where have you found the additional imagery?
on the desktop / browser, street view there's a 'timer' icon for a timeline.
I found you need to move your position to uncover different dates so its a little dicky on some frames.

Attachments

• google_street_view_timeline.png
    google_street_view_timeline.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 190
I was going to say. If you can get access to nearmaps, they take many shots per month at very good resolution (better than Google Earth) so you could actually follow the entire operation and perhaps capture some useful detail. It may even be worth paying a subscription (don't know what it cost) for a short time and download all the pictures you can just in case. You might even get lucky and see a car, a truck, something involved in the operation, something that can give you a lead. By the sounds of it, they opened the containers (or at least one) on site and maybe took the cars one by one or several at one time, who knows?

That and asking the neighbours I would say that's your best shot. I would actually be suspicious of neighbours saying they had seen nothing. Someone opening and closing containers, moving cars, cars perhaps with trailers coming and going, or car carriers or even container trucks are not that discrete.

The police won't do anything unfortunately.

I would also have a look on nearmaps at various businesses around the property see what's happening there. And I would also look for the containers themselves. They're more difficult to hide and most likely places are easily spotted on satellite imagery. Do you have the container numbers? They are always recorded in some manifest and easily found if they enter some legitimate operation, which I doubt, but hey, it's worth a shot.

My money sez it's some local job, don't think the cars will make it overseas. I would say it was all about the containers and the cars were most likely dumped in some scrap yard and crushed long ago. Containers were probably reborn. New numbers, maybe new paint, sold or already in whatever use they were pinched for.

Sorry.

Miserable business.

Last edited:
I was going to say. If you can get access to nearmaps, they take many shots per month at very good resolution (better than Google Earth) so you could actually follow the entire operation and perhaps capture some useful detail. It may even be worth paying a subscription (don't know what it cost) for a short time and download all the pictures you can just in case. You might even get lucky and see a car, a truck, something involved in the operation, something that can give you a lead. By the sounds of it, they opened the containers (or at least one) on site and maybe took the cars one by one or several at one time, who knows?

That and asking the neighbours I would say that's your best shot. I would actually be suspicious of neighbours saying they had seen nothing. Someone opening and closing containers, moving cars, cars perhaps with trailers coming and going, or car carriers or even container trucks are not that discrete.

The police won't do anything unfortunately.

I would also have a look on nearmaps at various businesses around the property see what's happening there. And I would also look for the containers themselves. They're more difficult to hide and most likely places are easily spotted on satellite imagery. Do you have the container numbers? They are always recorded in some manifest and easily found if they enter some legitimate operation, which I doubt, but hey, it's worth a shot.

My money sez it's some local job, don't think the cars will make it overseas. I would say it was all about the containers and the cars were most likely dumped in some scrap yard and crushed long ago. Containers were probably reborn. New numbers, maybe new paint, sold or already in whatever use they were pinched for.

Sorry.

Miserable business.
Yup I have container numbers, and most of the VINs of the cars, but yes I'm resigned to the fact a large part of my retirement is gone.

It may be that they tried to unload some of the container because they could not lift it full. Which would suggest they didn't have the right gear. Perhaps just a flat bed with a winch or some such.

None of it is good. its a horrible thought someone squashed them.
Especially a few of them were very complete and obviously not scrap. :(

if anything it does suggest to me they emptied container #1

container #2 was basically empty but should have had the dauphine locked up in it.
but it probably means the containers were sold empty, or they'd have put the cars into the other container.

the residents of the house at the front know something. They have to.
This is why I'm hesitant to let it out on facebook, and keen for the police to start investigating.

yup sorry! red herring.. back when people were actually living there and looking out for them.
I removed some of those posts, thanks.