Magnetic oil drain plug

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Has anyone ever converted their oil drain plug to one with a magnetic particle trap? I was thinking of doing it with simply a fairly strong hobby magnet and a shallow depression drilled into the plug, plus appropriate heat and oil resistant adhesive In fact, I''ve thought about this on about 5 cars and never done it :(

Comments? Waste of time? Should they be on all engines and gearboxes?

Stuey

The Cit GS have that as standard on the sump of the engine.
They never really had any metal stuck to it on any of the ones we owned which is probably due to the fact it runs over 100 PSI oil pressure.
Prob is a good idea to keep those filings out of the way though ;)

All the motorbikes I've owned have had magnetic plugs. I guess 10 000 RPM scrapes off more metal.

Every frech car I've owned has had a magnet in the engine oil plug (and the gbox oil plugs on some of them). However today when I changed the oil in my air compressor the thing I noticed the most while doing it was the lock of magnet.... That's how much I'm used to seeing the magnets :rolleyes:

seeya!
Shane L.

Idea ok, but would also have a mechanical retention of magnet, as well as glue. cupboard door catches are a good supply of magnets, or I could post U some small magnets I have reclaimed.
Doug (mail me direct if U want one)

i used to fit the diff drain plug from a 504 to the engine drain in the 504 and 505,never had any metal stuck them at drain time though.not sure if 306/405 plugs will take the 504 size.does any body remember the magnetic oil filters that were out for a while,good idea but they gave heaps of trouble. stuart.

The magnetic plugs are a good idea in Gearbox & diff, but some engine oils use magnet sensitive particles (I seem to remember that the dreaded GTX was one of these).
Reminds me of a funny story: A guy I went to tech with in the late 70's (ie last century) bought a Mini 850 new in 1962. At the first service they pulled a bolt out of the sump with the magnetic drain plug. He asked if they were going to pull it apart to check - but they said No, they would wait to see if it had a problem. It Didnt! (He was still on the original motor at 100,000 mile + )
Doug

Originally posted by Biodiesel:
<strong>(I seem to remember that the dreaded GTX was one of these).

Doug</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've used GTX off and on for 20 years - what's wrong with it, Doug?

Stuey

I'm worried about GTX (and its later equivalent GTX 2) too. I've been using them in my 12 for 240,000k's, I hope I'm not harming my motor please elaborate!!!!!!

Simon

I was thinking of GTX in air cooled motors. The base oil used in GTX in the '70s broke down in the excessive heat of things like Triumphs & Nortons. I dont think the formulation is anything like this now.
Doug.

Sensitive people, please!!

Nobody said anything about GTX being bad... yet.

Simply that it could be affected by magnets.

Anyway, if you're serious about looking after your engine you'll use Cadillac oils, they're well-priced too.

As for magnets on engine drain plugs, the majority of particles that are likely to indicate trouble in an engine aren't magnetic anyway... bits of piston, bearing material etc, so there's probably little point.

Diffs and gearboxes, on the other hand, have steel to steel wear and might generate ferrous filings that will attach to a magnet and be better off doing so.

Does any one know of a replacement for the drain and fill plugs on the 504 that has a hex head on the outside instead of the 8mm square hole in the centre?

I went to change my diff and gearbox oil and had a hell of a time removing the filler plug on the diff. I ended up getting a piece of high speed steel (the stuff they make lathe cutting tools out of) belting it into the hole and with a 10" shifter and a 12" piece of pipe managed to get it undone! I don't know what the gorilla that owned the car before us used to tighten it. There's got to be something easier.

Don't quote me... but I think the Datsun sump plug is the same thread etc... never really checked, but I did change the oil in both the one day and they looked the same.

But that doesn't solve your problem, does it? They're always beat up anyway!

Hey Ray,

'dreaded' GTX sounds damning to me... :D

The sump plug isn't for use as an engine damage indicator, it's (obviously) to catch any iron based particles that may have been released to prevent them causing damage, as a backup to the filter, simple as that. It was just a Sunday afternoon shed tinkering sort of a job I've thought of for a while...

Sensitive Stuey

[ 30 January 2002: Message edited by: Stuey ]</p>

hey ralph iv had the same problem in my shop,iv broken the correct french tool off in the plugs ,if people changed the copper crush washer under the head of the plug each time you wouldnt have any problems.they only cost approx 1.00 good luck.

Thanks Charles,

Mine didn't even have the copper crush washers.
I can see how they would make it easier.

Cheers,

Ralph.