L'orphalin

Ashley has done some work on the car during the school holidays and is still very enthusiastic. She has buffed the chrome on the wipers back to acceptable shine, started polishing the bumpers, but they will probably need re-chroming and is recovering the rear seat backrest today. Her continued enthusiasm for the project is very encouraging!
Sounds like she's a keeper. :) If she runs out of things to clean and polish, please send her over. Seriously, she'll need to sense progress as she'll be 14 next year. Good age to learn about spanners of course. Good on her!!!

If she sands back the rims and re-paints them silver with wheel silver and blacken the tyres, it'll probably give her a boost to keep going too ;)

Have a great time working on the car together. I had a ball working with my daughter, helping her get her car on the road. Great memories of rebuilding brakes and brake fluid over the floor, trying to bleed them. There is something very satisfying, working together on a project and having something to show for it in the end. This will be some of the best times you will spend together.

My girl has a soft spot for my Floride too, here they both are over a decade ago.

attachment.php

Yes, welcome Ashley! It's great to have a project with your Dad. I'm thoroughly enjoying my R8 project with my Dad. I'm sure we'll all meet soon.
All the best Clint.

If you don't have the catches that attach the roof to the body, I take it the roof is just sitting there?

I am asking because I would want to get the whole "bodyshell" as rigid as possible to try and get the whole car aligned and see what's what before even contemplating cutting stuff.

People say these cars are rather floppy without a roof and I am curious if anything can be done to make them a bit stiffer.

Hello everyone and thank you for all the encouraging messages. l have been catching up with the posts on my dad's phone but now I can post my own progress.
Welcome Ashley,

It's funny how it is with children sometimes - a couple of weeks after our oldest daughter Jennifer was born in 1989, I bought the Peugeot 404C that is now nearing the final stages of restoration.

So that car, rusted and looking unloved, sat around in our garage for nearly 30 years. I had no idea that it held meaning for Jennifer until about 10 years ago: despairing that I'd never get the restoration done (or even started!), I said at the dinner table that maybe I should sell the car and all the new parts I had for it.

Jenn who was in her early 20s at the time said "NO!! That car has been around ever since I have and I remember it over all these years! You are not going to sell it!".

She's the most car oriented of our three kids (one son and another daughter) and when my time on the earth is done, she will inherit it. But of course she will drive it before then, maybe later this year, when the work is finally done.

Here she is about a year ago checking out the rear seat after it was installed....

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 12.45.54 PM.png

Anyway enjoy the work on the car with your Dad, it will be frustrating sometimes but worth it in the end and the memories will be priceless decades from now.

You might find some of the items you are looking for on Der Franzose website. All the light fittings ,handles and front badge are there.
Have fun looking at all the items and money you can spend on the car.

If you don't have the catches that attach the roof to the body, I take it the roof is just sitting there?

I am asking because I would want to get the whole "bodyshell" as rigid as possible to try and get the whole car aligned and see what's what before even contemplating cutting stuff.

People say these cars are rather floppy without a roof and I am curious if anything can be done to make them a bit stiffer.
Yes. Fit the roof and leave it there.

You can make those cars quite stiff without the need for a roof. The Important thing is to check the door apertures and brace the shell so that it does not bend in the middle like a banana when you start cutting rust out. It also helps to have it on a flat surface, not stands when you do it.

Apart from adding some double skin and gussets such as R8G and R10 shells have, you can add some rigidity with box section or square tube as additional chassis rails inside the sills while you are doing the rust removal and sill repairs. There are many similar tricks inside the structure which cannot be seen when the car is finished unless you cut the car open. These are trade secrets used by rally and race teams competing in "Production cars" where the competition body shell is far more rigid than the original.

If you are going to leave the roof on you may as well have coupe.

TRIDC6A.jpg

TRIAAD3.jpg
TRI5DDF.jpg
TRIDE54.jpg