Looking to buy a 308 - any advice?

207GTi

Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

My uncle is in the market for a new car and really likes the 308. He would mostly be looking for a city run-about (city being Canberra) and for trips to Sydney and back to visit the grandchildren.

I don't know too much about the 308s, could any owners let me know if there are any well-known faults or oddities with them?

He is looking at a:
2011 308 Active HDi T7 Auto MY12 2.0L turbo diesel with 43,000kms on the clock for about $18K;
2011 308 Active HDi T7 Auto My12 1.6L turbo diesel with 49,000kms on the clock for about $17K; and
2012 308 Active T7 Auto MY12 1.6L Petrol turbo with 60,000kms on the clock for about $17K.

The 2012 seems to have a lot of ks for a 3 year old car.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

The 2.0 HDI is an all-round better thing to have than the 1.6 HDI; they are quite different designs. Fewer problems, superior performance, and in something light like a 308, cheap to run.

I've had both the 1.6hdi and 2.0hdi and I agree with the above recommendation, the 2 litre diesel is the pick. Heaps more power and an all round better package when matched with the aisin auto gearbox. The only thing they all seem to go through quickly is brake discs which I've had to replace at around 70k on both but they weren't that pricey. Just check it has been regularly serviced and they have used the right low saps oil. I'm up to 87k on mine without any issues and still enjoy driving it daily.

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like the 2011 2L diesel is the way to go.

I'm up to 87k on mine without any issues and still enjoy driving it daily.

Up to 153k on mine (2lt manual) and never had any problems.
Lovely torquey engine
Been considering upgrading but dealers will give you nothing :(
May keep for another year or three

Decca

Check that the 2011 is the 120 kw HDI as it has lots of GO. 2011 308 Sportium have this engine. Performance up hill is amazing. Mine only has 51000 but had to replace dicks and rotors at 40000. previous 406 HDI did 140000 with originals .The 17 inch rims are quite firm but with good tyres corner like on rails, wagons have large turning circle.

The 2.0 L diesel engine geedee refers to, the DW10C model, is identified by the vehicle having the letters RHH in the VIN (bottom of windscreen).

Hi all. Newbie here. Just got my first Pug. Happy with purchase from a car yard (never, ever thought I'd say/write that!):
2009 XSE 308 (petrol) Turbo Auto. 60'Ks. Immaculate. $13K.

Not the best bargain, as currently similar cars going for ~$11s, but not with low Ks, and I wanted some warranty, being my first Pug.

Bit of confusion with timing belt(chain?) replacement schedule, but found this:
http://www.peugeot.com.au/media/deliacms/media/2/299-d0f042.pdf

2011 308 Active HDi T7 Auto MY12 2.0L turbo diesel with 43,000kms on the clock for about $18K

That sounds like a lot of money to me when you can buy the new base model 308, voted car of the year in Europe, with a warranty and all the peace of mind that brings for $26k on the road, before any negotiating. I know what i would rather invest into as the value of the 2011 model will plummet.

2015 Peugeot 308 Access Auto - carsales.com.au

Or take an ex demo for $19,750...

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Peugeot-308-2014/AGC-AD-17809703/?Cr=0

Last edited:
Puggsly, the turbo 1.6 115 kW petrol engine has a timing chain inside the block and head. Your reference is for reinforced rubber timing belts. If you look at the belt end of the engine there is no plastic belt cover.

It is basically a BMW head on a PSA block, and was a joint design development.

The important thing with this engine is the state of the chain, as early models had problems with chain tension. It shows up as a pronounced, ok, loud, rattle. The other thing to watch is oil coming via the crankcase breather clogging up the head near the valves. This motor injects petrol directly into the cylinder, so petrol can't wash gunk away as in other systems. There are solutions for both problems.

The important thing with this engine is the state of the chain, as early models had problems with chain tension. It shows up as a pronounced, ok, loud, rattle. The other thing to watch is oil coming via the crankcase breather clogging up the head near the valves. This motor injects petrol directly into the cylinder, so petrol can't wash gunk away as in other systems. There are solutions for both problems.

Thank you Seasink.
I'll inspect more closely.

Do you know what is the timing replacement schedule for mine (mid-2009)?

And, sorry 207GTi for taking your thread slightly OT.
I drove the 2009 diesel 308 before deciding on the Petrol, as I found the diesel too noisy in the cabin.

Thanks.

The 2.0 HDI motor uses a timing belt, with a fairly long change interval.

Back to the turbo 1.6 petrol. The roller chain is for the engine's life. If it stretches or the tensioner ceases to function correctly you will get a loud rattle at cold idle at first which gets worse and finally continues when it's hot. My memory is that the tensioners were redesigned in 2010, but that's something you can Google. It's not inevitable, but something to watch for. Don't be tempted to touch the large hex bolts on the side of the chain- they are tensioners for the guides.

ep6cdt.jpg

Thanks again Seasink. Sage advice.
And great image of my type of engine! (Source?)

Is there an easy way to tell if the timing chain is tensioned correctly?

Last edited:
Agree with above comments, 2 litre hdi is a really nice performer. Before I purchased mine, I spoke to the local dealer service manager and he said stay away from the petrol 1.2 and 1.6, which seem to have a lot of engine management problems

Hi,20 k per year is average.if Unc does lower ks than that then it will amortize at a lower rate.HOWEVER,he might decide he wants to do more ks. however ,again...as said the 2l is the go.

Just to throw it out there, a couple of 308 GTis have sold for around 20k lately. Absolutely awesome cars and extremely economical for the performance.

The 2.0 HDI motor uses a timing belt, with a fairly long change interval.

Back to the turbo 1.6 petrol. The roller chain is for the engine's life. If it stretches or the tensioner ceases to function correctly you will get a loud rattle at cold idle at first which gets worse and finally continues when it's hot. My memory is that the tensioners were redesigned in 2010, but that's something you can Google. It's not inevitable, but something to watch for. Don't be tempted to touch the large hex bolts on the side of the chain- they are tensioners for the guides.

View attachment 70588
Called the Death Rattle. And yes the tensioner was revised. I had a replacement fitted free by Peugeot. I still got my whole timing chain kit replaced at 100,000. Cost was $500 for the kit (now cheaper) and $500 labour. The mech told me the timing was out. Since then the THP150 is as quiet as.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1648782...eugeot&hash=item26638205cb:g:~RgAAOSwn9BgqG5Y