Longstone Tyres

dougal

Tadpole
Hi

I realise this is a commercial thread so i understand if it gets taken down. However historically many of you have taken advantage of what we offer and i hope it is good for you again.

this is our Citroen web page Citroen Tyres | Longstone Tyres on here there is a fitments recommendations for classic Citroen.

we can presently ship a set of Michelins Collection tyres to your door in Australia for £ 150 ( or $ 255 USD) It isn't as cheap as it used to be but i hope it is of use to you and i think it is good value.

Regards

Dougal
Longstone Tyres
00 44 1302 711123

Dougal this is very good news. I hope to avail myself of your offer soon.
I must however point out some inaccuracies in your 'history of the Traction Avant. The 7A, 7B and 7 Cs were known as Light 12s in the UK not Light 15s. The larger bodied Slough car corresponding to an 11B is known as a Big 15. The 7S produced in France never had a Slough counter part. It was not until 1936 that Slough produced a Light 15 and this was based on the 11BL monocoque platform. The earlier 7As had quite a number of differences in structure to that of the 11BLs that followed later.

Always excellent service from Longstone Tyres. Thanks.

I gather you are still splitting a set of 4 XVS into two shipments to keep the invoiced cost of the tyres before freight under the A$1,000 limit for Australian GST? Does the current freight arrangement allow you to do this at the rate quoted for the 'set'?

Hi

I realise this is a commercial thread so i understand if it gets taken down. However historically many of you have taken advantage of what we offer and i hope it is good for you again.

this is our Citroen web page Citroen Tyres | Longstone Tyres on here there is a fitments recommendations for classic Citroen.

we can presently ship a set of Michelins Collection tyres to your door in Australia for £ 150 ( or $ 255 USD) It isn't as cheap as it used to be but i hope it is of use to you and i think it is good value.

Regards

Dougal
Longstone Tyres
00 44 1302 711123

Absolutely no problem with you posting here Dougal. . .
You are most welcome, you have saved many of us significant dollars a real asset to our community :cool:

Cheers
Chris

$1486.00 for a set of 4 Michelins & tubes landed is good value.

$1486.00 for a set of 4 Michelins & tubes landed is good value.

2cv tyres :confused: The 215/50 390's seem to cost more than just about any Citroen they would be fitted to is worth :eek: (That's not a dig a Longstone Tyes, they appear to be horrendously priced everywhere!). They are the tyres my CX should have.

seeya,
Shane L.

I don't know why you are confused about 2CV tyres, Shane. Most 2CVs in Australia are post 1960 and would suit the 125/15 Michelin X if they are driven on sealed roads. The tyre really suits the cars characteristics.

For Raid cars, Michelin wouldn't be the preference, any width or tread. They are too expensive for a tyre that will succumb to stone damage. Nankangs 135/15 are a cheaper and better choice. Stiffer sidewalls leading to less stone damage.

John

Only on the right rim.

The disadvantage of wider tyres (145, 155) is the increased unsprung weight of the wheel, plus the fact that the wider the tread, the greater the target area is for stone damage (the main cause of tyre failure).

The advantage of a wider tread is better traction on sand, worse traction on snow.

Depends on the distance travelled on a Raid in each of the road conditions of sealed, packed earth, sharp stoney gravel or sand. Add weather conditions such as high temperatures, wet or snow and the choice gets more interesting. Different tyre widths/tread patterns and weights each have their favoured conditions. Given that one doesn't have a factory backup vehicle with a selection of different tyres, it boils down to which is the best for your vehicle's rims, power, weight and average of the conditions to be encountered.

Cost is a factor in that the tyres will be trashed in adverse conditions. Availability of replacements when you run out of spares is also a factor. The latter means that having the same tyre size as most of the other Raiders, provides the best insurance if you find yourself short of useable rubber. If you can't beg or borrow and have to resort to theft, at least you are within walking distance of a suitable source.

John

Agreed John,
I would luv to run 125's as my main road/town tyre, skinny = fast and light.
The 155's are really suited to a pug rim, 1/2 wider than 2cv, slightly different offset to inside so smaller turning circle, slightly ;)
Stone and side wall damage isn't as much of a problem with 155's as they are a lot more robust! Plus extra height not only gives better clearance but added suspension.
I was so impressed with these tyres in cape york, it will be good to see hiw they handle Raid 2016, I predict I will have zero tyre changes! And am aware I may be eating my words...

Harley

2cv tyres :confused: The 215/50 390's seem to cost more than just about any Citroen they would be fitted to is worth :eek: (That's not a dig a Longstone Tyes, they appear to be horrendously priced everywhere!). They are the tyres my CX should have.

seeya,
Shane L.

you mean 210/55 390

Last time I bought some Michelin for the DS I had them sent to the post office.

i received a card to collect my parcel. I presented the card to the small Asian lady at the post office desk and she headed out the back to find my parcel. After some delay I could see her struggling with two tyres through the open door. She eventually made it to the counter after quiet a cuffuffle. She then said to me "isn't there a better way you can get these?" No I thought privately amused. I walked out of the post office with a tyre under each arm.

She then said to me "isn't there a better way you can get these?" No I thought privately amused. I walked out of the post office with a tyre under each arm.

You should have said "Yes, attached to a car, but I couldn't afford the car".

The courier delivered to me 4 X 2CV tyres, cable tied together and asked if they were motorbike tyres.

John

The 155's are really suited to a pug rim, 1/2 wider than 2cv, slightly different offset to inside so smaller turning circle, slightly ;)
Stone and side wall damage isn't as much of a problem with 155's as they are a lot more robust! Plus extra height not only gives better clearance but added suspension.
I was so impressed with these tyres in cape york, it will be good to see hiw they handle Raid 2016, I predict I will have zero tyre changes! And am aware I may be eating my words...

Harley

Now that Bob has replaced the 425cc with a GS1250 in his Raid car, I think he runs 155s as well. At least that means between you you can support each other. Some of the vans probably run 155s as well.

However, looking at the trashed 4WD tyres of vehicles on the Gibb River road, there is no rubber that is as robust as a rock. Skinny hits less rocks than fat ones.

John

Actually, I have 145 Nankangs on at the moment. It drives really well.
I don't think I'll go to 155, but maybe I should try them, so I can form an informed opinion.

I saw Harley's car here a few weeks back..... it looks rather sick!

now that I'm back on AF...... I'll put up a couple of pics.

Bob

Bobs back! :D
The 155 80 r15 are hard to find...
The only brand that I found in Oz is BF Goodrich, I paid $130 a corner but usually north of $160.
They have a great tyre pattern. I got mine from a dedicated drag race shop, they weren't to happy when I told them I would be off roading in them ;)

Harley

I paid $120 a corner for Nankang 135/15 for Daffy Duck last year. They have a normal tread pattern, rather than the chunky M&S style of the N803. Nothing is cheap anymore. Skinny 80 series tyres for 15" rims are hard to find.

John

I hear you.....

And back on thread ... I will need a set of 165X400 X... so I'd better order them ....

I've been made to promise to get Buttercup back on the road.... for... Our middle daughter's (Caiti) wedding next October... so Jan suggested that she would come to next Citin with me if it was in Buttercup... but I want to drive the 2cv... so Caiti and
Eric (the gullible chap who's intending to be groom at the wedding) and Jan will tour in comfort in Buttercup, while I follow with all the tools and fluid supplies.

Its a plan!

Bob