Long Stroke Crankshaft Interchangeability Question

citroenthusiast

Fellow Frogger
I am considering rebuilding another long stroke engine. This time it is for a friend who does not want the car sitting without an engine for 6-12 months while the engine is being rebuilt so I offered the possibility that I would rebuild a core I have on hand then swap the rebuilt engine for the worn out engine. The car is from 1964 with the long-nose crankshaft and harmonic balancer. Unfortunately, the cores I have both have the short-nose crankshaft with the closed timing cover and no harmonic balancer. Looking at parts manual (No. 466) I found that there were no fewer than 5 different crankshafts before 1961, the last being the one with the long nose for the harmonic balancer. My question is, can a long-nose (Post-March 1961) crankshaft be fitted to an earlier block? Has anyone here successfully done so? If so, then it may be feasible to source a crankshaft, rebuild the engine and simply install the timing cover as part of the engine swapping process.

Did the block and bearings change? The conrods changed around 1960-ish and you might want to check if that also affected the crank journals. Have a look at the thrust washer and thrower setup as they were changed. You might revisit Shane's thread on the broken crankshaft.

Did the block and bearings change? The conrods changed around 1960-ish and you might want to check if that also affected the crank journals. Have a look at the thrust washer and thrower setup as they were changed. You might revisit Shane's thread on the broken crankshaft.
I was just thinking about that thread too. It all sounded like it gets complex quickly if you try to mix and match parts.

I think Gerry and possibly Buttercup bob will know the differences off the top of there heads! We will just need ot wait for them to read this :)

I have not had much to do with later long-stroke cranks. I drove a 1911cc DS19 Pallas but never had the motor out. I had an early DS19 block and crankshaft which I gave to Roger Brundle before he passed! So I cannot answer this question.

Thanks guys. I have been studying manual 465 and it shows four possible combinations, old crankcase with 35.99mm rear bearing saddle; new crankcase with 37.7mm rear bearing saddle; old crankshaft with 44.1mm long rear journal; and new crankshaft with 42.3mm long rear journal. In each case it seems to be a matter of selecting either a thick bronze thrust washer or a thin white metal thrust washer and possibly shortening the locating pin for the thrust washer. I think the "new" crankshaft is the long nose one with the harmonic balancer but I can't tell for sure, since the manual talks about crankshafts after January 1961 but the balancer was not introduced until March 1961, so hoping someone could confirm I am not going to get halfway done and realize it is impossible....