Long lost South Australian R8G brought back to life

bgbiteme

Fellow Frogger
Last registered in 1986 when the engine and gearbox failed, this little girl sat forlornly in a chook shed for decades. When I bought the car in 2021, the engine and gearbox were in pieces in a crate. The gearbox was meticulously rebuilt by Rob Sealy, brake calipers and booster rebuilt by the brake gurus at PBR and the engine, Webers and all other mechanicals were fastidiously rebuilt and assembled by Simon Robinson. Most parts came from Arnaud Ventoux in France. Finally got it registered last Friday in time to show at the Clare Show & Shine on Sunday, where it sat next to Trev Naismith's immaculate G.

She's a very original car so I won't be restoring the body. There are however 2 things I need to finish her off:

a. an unmelted original steering wheel - mine is melted/shrunk on the top half (and I don't like leather covers)
b. internal rear vision mirror assembly

If anyone can help, please let me know. I'm also not that impressed with the quality of the door window seals that came from France (I assume made in China) so also on the lookout for original, usable door window seals.

Attachments

• R8G Clare show and shine 19 March 2023 A.jpg
    R8G Clare show and shine 19 March 2023 A.jpg
    919.6 KB · Views: 167
  • R8G Clare show and shine 19 March 2023 B.jpg
    R8G Clare show and shine 19 March 2023 B.jpg
    927.1 KB · Views: 157
  • R8G Clare show and shine 19 March 2023 C.jpg
    R8G Clare show and shine 19 March 2023 C.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 157
Huge congratulations Mr B. That's great and good you are leaving the body alone. Those rear view mirror assemblies come up on Ebay France occasionally. I have a spare for my R8 but now had better check my memory in case I have two. IF I have two, one is yours.

See you after Easter.

Last registered in 1986 when the engine and gearbox failed, this little girl sat forlornly in a chook shed for decades. When I bought the car in 2021, the engine and gearbox were in pieces in a crate. The gearbox was meticulously rebuilt by Rob Sealy, brake calipers and booster rebuilt by the brake gurus at PBR and the engine, Webers and all other mechanicals were fastidiously rebuilt and assembled by Simon Robinson. Most parts came from Arnaud Ventoux in France. Finally got it registered last Friday in time to show at the Clare Show & Shine on Sunday, where it sat next to Trev Naismith's immaculate G.

She's a very original car so I won't be restoring the body. There are however 2 things I need to finish her off:

a. an unmelted original steering wheel - mine is melted/shrunk on the top half (and I don't like leather covers)

If anyone can help, please let me know. I'm also not that impressed with the quality of the door window seals that came from France (I assume made in China) so also on the lookout for original, usable door window seals.
Can the steering wheel be repaired, if it's made from solid plastic I know a guy..? Show us a picture of it please.

Can the steering wheel be repaired, if it's made from solid plastic I know a guy..? Show us a picture of it please.
Mr B, contact 56 Fregate! I imagine there's a good one to use as a model/template somewhere near where "the guy" lives.

That's fantastic and great to see. Bring it to the 4cv muster in Moama at Easter, mine will be there.
I also bought everything from Arnaud Ventoux and am not impressed with the fit of the rubbers but what can we do.
I also bought a new mirror off them, it seems fine.

That's fantastic and great to see. Bring it to the 4cv muster in Moama at Easter, mine will be there.
I also bought everything from Arnaud Ventoux and am not impressed with the fit of the rubbers but what can we do.
I also bought a new mirror off them, it seems fine.
From what I can gather rhe remanufactured rubbers are a bit of an issue, quality-wise. Did you use them for the G, AND managed to fit the ss trim strips? Wow.

Hi John, yes Simon did manage to somehow get the SS trims over the new rubber, was quite a task but a bit of silicone spray helped

Hi David, I have other commitments over Easter so can't make it to Moama unfortunately.

Hi John, yes Simon did manage to somehow get the SS trims over the new rubber, was quite a task but a bit of silicone spray helped

Hi David, I have other commitments over Easter so can't make it to Moama unfortunately.
Wow. It's a truly fiddly horror of a job.

That's okay I'm sure our two Gordini's will meet somewhere.

I gave up trying to fit the SS trims and went hunting for some good glass all complete. I used litres of silicone spray and every slippery thing I could find (even KY jelly) and made up a little jig with sash clamps and blocks of wood and nothing worked.
I remember doing P504 window channels and we soaked the rubber in petrol and they popped on.

That's okay I'm sure our two Gordini's will meet somewhere.

I gave up trying to fit the SS trims and went hunting for some good glass all complete. I used litres of silicone spray and every slippery thing I could find (even KY jelly) and made up a little jig with sash clamps and blocks of wood and nothing worked.
I remember doing P504 window channels and we soaked the rubber in petrol and they popped on.
Horrible job. I have a couple of R8 rubbers that don't have the trim mouldings hanging quietly in a corner.

Last time I had a window fitted (I did NOT attempt it, knowing my limitations) the window experts wouldn't accept the advice to fit the trims first and tried to fit them after the glass was in the car. The first quadrant took 40 minutes but they gradually improved over the last three quadrants. About 2 hours in total if I recall correctly. Prior to that, the wonderful Tony Goode in Adelaide took an afternoon to fit my rear glass with an NOS rubber. Prick of a job.....