London To Sydney Marathon Re-run.

Wildebeest

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
London/ Sydney Marathon Re-run. Started from Perth last week. Absolutely no notification of the event in papers or usual sources. Why the secrecy, surely not blaming covid?
Would have liked to have seen the entrants and the start. Following the start day there were some photos in FB and an entry list, a lot of well known names.

A very disappointed Wildebeest.

Snuck up on me also. Appears a good adventure is to be had :)

I saw entrants in the original marathon spectating at Edi Upper in central Vic, saw the second rally whilst running a control 40 miles north of Benambra in the High Country. That was a long time ago but I'm surprised and disappointed at the dearth of information about the 2022 event available in the east. Wonder if the field will beat the floods?

You people need to keep your eyes open a bit more, plenty of info for about 3 years now. All over now though unfortunately, due to the flooding it is just a bitumen tour to Sydney. We pulled out at Port Augusta after this was announced. Two very good days out of Perth and managed to visit the iconic Youanmi and lake King Control locations. Got home to Melbourne this evening and looking to run the 505 (after some minor repairs) in a club rally this weekend.

London/ Sydney Marathon Re-run. Started from Perth last week. Absolutely no notification of the event in papers or usual sources. Why the secrecy, surely not blaming covid?
Would have liked to have seen the entrants and the start. Following the start day there were some photos in FB and an entry list, a lot of well known names.

A very disappointed Wildebeest.
Yes, I discovered by accident that some cars were at Whiteman Park and got there as they were leaving, but found out that the start was at Wellington Square, quite early. Not easy to find daily results either. Good to see a Eurocars 504 replica (or real?) from the 1977 event too.

You people need to keep your eyes open a bit more, plenty of info for about 3 years now. All over now though unfortunately, due to the flooding it is just a bitumen tour to Sydney. We pulled out at Port Augusta after this was announced. Two very good days out of Perth and managed to visit the iconic Youanmi and lake King Control locations. Got home to Melbourne this evening and looking to run the 505 (after some minor repairs) in a club rally this weekend.
That's a bit hard Graham. Yes it was in the air but plenty didn't pick up that it was upon us.
'

I think a lot of organisers have given up with publicity, nobody ever turns up these days.

Yes, I discovered by accident that some cars were at Whiteman Park and got there as they were leaving, but found out that the start was at Wellington Square, quite early. Not easy to find daily results either. Good to see a Eurocars 504 replica (or real?) from the 1977 event too.
Johnno.
The original "Eurocars 504" was a UK firm's entry. I've posted details elsewhere, possibly Face Book. The wild looking DS was entered as a tribute to the driver/s who crashed out in the final stage of the original event.

Johnno.
The original "Eurocars 504" was a UK firm's entry. I've posted details elsewhere, possibly Face Book. The wild looking DS was entered as a tribute to the driver/s who crashed out in the final stage of the original event.
Thanks Mr W. Yes, the DS is a Bianchi tribute - I know the owner/driver as it happens! Small world. :) So sorry you missed it. It was pure accident (a phone call about a different matter) that I noticed it at the last minute.

i apologise for not knowing who is/was responsible for the preparation of this car and the way it is presented. it was a credit to the organisers and i was mainly interested in the ID. however all the other cars that contributed to this effort made the day extremely enjoyable. it was somewhat nostalgic. the media was there, the weather played it part and the gentleman that drove the vehicle was gracious and generous with all Citroen enthusiasts. a genuine good person. i apologise for not remembering the teams names however a big thanks. it brought back some memories. the picture at the end is not mine and i copied it there as it was suppled by a ling time Citroen club member. i trust that i have done justice by uploading this small video.

the file does not want to load ?? help please

Last edited:
i apologise for not knowing who is/was responsible for the preparation of this car and the way it is presented. it was a credit to the organisers and i was mainly interested in the ID. however all the other cars that contributed to this effort made the day extremely enjoyable. it was somewhat nostalgic. the media was there, the weather played it part and the gentleman that drove the vehicle was gracious and generous with all Citroen enthusiasts. a genuine good person. i apologise for not remembering the teams names however a big thanks. it brought back some memories. the picture at the end is not mine and i copied it there as it was suppled by a ling time Citroen club member. i trust that i have done justice by uploading this small video.

the file does not want to load ?? help please
It was Mark Taylor from Sydney FYI. Lovely character and the car does all those who worked on it great credit I reckon!