Locking the crankshaft

christym

Tadpole
I need some help from this brains trust. Car is a 2006 C4 1.6Hdi (9HY).
After changing the timing belt I want to torque up the front pulley. To lock the motor, I know I should be able to pin the flywheel going through a hole in the engine case behind the engine downpipe. The hole in the engine case is there, however even when I line up and pin the the holes at the front of the motor, I can't find a hole in the flywheel to accept the pin. Not even a very little pin. We have had the car from new and the motor has never been apart or separated from the gearbox.
The engine starts and runs sweetly on the new timing belt so there is no issue with the engine timing.
Obviously I'm chasing a bum steer and there must be some other way to lock the motor to torque the front pulley. What do I need to do?
Thanks

Does the pulley ( the one you are trying to tighten) have a couple of holes in it?
Maybe you could make a sort peg spanner to hold it.

Thanks mate. Good suggestion. The holes aren't there at the moment but the pulley could be modified.

I have come up against two more questions relating to this timing belt replacement. Does the Australian spec 1.6Hdi (9HY motor) have PSA's floating flywheel? And which coolant should I use when refilling (old coolant has been drained and system well flushed).
Thanks Forum.

Engine in gear, a mate with his foot on the brakes, loctite on the threads and rattle gun (or torque wrench if you are a perfectionist) ....job done

Ignore that one. You'll be lucky to keep the timing.

Here's the official word. It's pdf so you can translate if needed.

Attachments

• belt.pdf
    317 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Another page
belt.png

Many thanks for these manual pages. What scale is shown for serrage? I presume it must be kgs/m. Correct?

daNm (decaNewton.metre) - the EU standard. (1/10 of a Nm if your wrench is so engraved)

1 daNm = 7.4 lb force.foot

Important: The pulley is held by friction.

Last edited:
Above picky doesn't show the front pulley. If there's a hole in the top of the flywheel housing [and there should be] insert a large screwdriver or pinch bar into it and pick up a ring gear tooth. Get someone to hold it firm against the housing while you tension the pulley. A child can do it.
Do not use Locktite on this bolt because, if it needs to be undone in the future it will rip the threads to pieces inside the cast iron crankshaft.
And not only but also do avoid any temptation to insert a digit into the crankshaft hole to 'feel' if the threads are clean.

Last edited:
Pegging is described in the pocket handbook attached above (carnet), which is the Citroen factory instruction set. It is now hidden inside service box.

The various translation services can deal with a pdf file, or the desired text piece can be copied and pasted into one.

The pdf has a benefit in that the pics can be zoomed up for clarity.

Here's an English excerpt for the engine in a C3.
timing-belt.png

Last edited:
Does the Australian spec 1.6Hdi (9HY motor) have PSA's floating flywheel?
It would have a Dual mass flywheel. Even on a new part, there is quite a bit of movement between the two major parts.

It would have a Dual mass flywheel. Even on a new part, there is quite a bit of movement between the two major parts.
And a lot more movement on an old one, even if it hasn't yet failed. One of the 2021 "discoveries" on our Renault Scenic II...... :(

Thanks everyone for all these contributions. New water pump and belts installed and car running sweetly.
Couldn't have done it without you.
Cheers