Light entertainment for all you people with "reliable" french cars

crosspug

Fellow Frogger
Can someone PLEASE remind me why I still own a french car??? :mad:

If I fix one thing something new develops, The day after.

Latest: Travelling down the freeway, nice and cozy then a noise (slight werrrring sound) lasts about a minute (slow to 80kph) then nothing, engine free revs and I roll to a stop. Bloody Torque converter has gone and taken its ?splines? with it. Towed all the way home. Thank god for gold NRMA membership.

Before: Fuel pump clogged and not flowing properly so stripped etc

Before that: Rust taken out of both rear doors.

and that: HT leads replaced

again: alternater, starter, battery, front calipers, fan switch, both muffler boxes at once.

Not to mention loose bits and pieces which have been tightened, glued and replaced.

And that is just in the past two years.

Am I just jixed??

Funnily enough my mechanic didn't take my offer of my towed 505 for his Mi16 with a lost sump (damn speed humps.... bet he was pee'd off). Would have done a clean swap as well. hehehee

How can I resore faith in my car???

Jono

And now I just found the largest patch of rust in the world ever!!!! Through my left front wheel well.

As an american used to tell me
"the only people who make cars worse than the americans, are the french"
Lets hope he was only half right.

I've done two crank angle sensors in 4 months on my MI16. I'll bet there isn't another one in the world that has acheived that feat.

crosspug:
Can someone PLEASE remind me why I still own a french car??? As an american used to tell me
"the only people who make cars worse than the americans, are the french"
Well, if you want reliability, dump the modern Peugeot and get a nicely maintained or restored 404. I once drove an unrestored 404 as a regular car for over 10 years and despite its advanced age and 600,000 + km at the time, it was FAR more reliable than my nearly-new 405 that I got nearly 9 years ago.

Perhaps the newest ones are beginning to approach the relaibility standards of the 404...one hopes.

*cough*
try owning an Alfa

I still cry myself to sleep with all the money and inconvience that car caused.... mallet

all those things you mentioned are just wear and tear, generic items that fail from time to time in any make of vehicle.....your car is 18 yrs old.......be reasonable:)

good news is that now those things have been fixed you shouldn't have many more problems soon :D
________
The Vision

Last edited:
i know how you feel
i had a 604 once that caused me no end of grief trying to work out why it would destroy a set of spark plugs every 3 days
then after getting that sorted out it decided to let a water pump go
i remember sitting down watching telly opne night and thinking why oh why do i own this car
then i decided to replace the original fuel pump with an electric one only to find the day that i changed it on the way home the original one had the return line let go and spray fuel all over the hot engine jsut as i turned it off in the driveway
i was very lucky that i happened just then and not down the road somewhere and burned the car to the ground
it must have known that i was replacing the pump on the car and though it would let me know the reason as to why this was been done
i remember my father saying to me sell the piece of #%&@ and get a more reliable car
but of course i kept going with this machine and sorted the little problems out that it had and remembering at that stage the car was 10 year old and was bound to have a few problems
but after those little problems the car never missed a beat and later on when i did sell the car (to which the current owner still has the car) that car is still very reliable and has never caused him any heartache
moral to the story
every car that has a few years under it's belt is going to have a few troubles but if you keep going at them and sort through them and just think of the joys you have when you are driving the car you will be fine
i must admit that 604's do have their troubles and this is not a good example of peugeot motoring and reliability but once again there is another one in the family and even though it has had a couple of niggling problems (mainly a regulator that died on the way to melbourne) the car has been a good machine and something like that had to be expected of a car that is over 20 years of age
i know there are a few other cars that i would like to own and have had the chance of owning over the years but i have stuck with pugs
they are generally a good all round car and reliable
parts are generally well priced and rarely needed compared to many other cars
they ride so much better than many other cars and handle very well also
people may say to you that you can't get parts for them in the bush from a wrecker but i say when was the last time i needed anything for my car :D

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. wink

Should be back and running soon and I'll fall in love with it yet again. Of all the cars i've driven (being better or worse!) still can't get that niche feel of the 505.

I think people are right if I sold it now, everything would run perfect because its all been done. I can only hope

Good motoring

Jono

In the first message, you said your torque coverter blew up going along the highway. The EXACT same thing happened to me a few months back, and I just want to know, what causes this to happen?

have you or anyone else ever revved the car while their foot is on the brake preventing the car from moving
if this happens enough you will actually blow the torque converter
it is the weakest link in a standard auto car
if you are wanting to do things like that then please replace the unit with a high stall unit that is capable of handling such horrid treatment

Greetings JoFus
The 3 speed transmission you're whinging about has been bullet-proof for appox. 250-300,000 ks wihtout internal adjustment.
The thing that has happened has happened due to old-age and wear.
Rebuild your gearbox - approx cost $1500 and expect another 250,000 ks.
Hope this helps
Chuck

I think we put up with it as, in the price bracket, they're untouchable in the "rewarding" department. :)

Seriously - I mean I drove a Civic VTiR the other day and although the engine was revvy and the gearshift was nice, it felt really numb and inprecise through the controls. I'd hate to have one sideways, that's for sure. :)

It also caused a great stir amongst my circle of friends, but I find my car a lot more rewarding to drive than a friends 200sx with 200kw at the wheels, tein suspension, brembo brakes and every other trick in the book. An awesome weapon, but I had great difficulty explaining to all of them that my car simply feels better to drive. Bias? I dunno.. :)

As far as problems go, I'm currently sussing out a mysterious suspension clunk (see my thread if interested) and also have to replace various bushes, warped discs, rear brake pads and rear shocks. Oh, and that bastard of a LHS window regulator... that'll be $500. I've already done the RHS one.

I pray the 6 speed doesn't die. :)

Cheers,
Adrian

MR206,

Have a look at these kits. Better than the GT bumpers

<a href="http://www.*********" target="_blank">http://www.*********</a> .com.au/Accessories.htm

and

<a href="http://www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk/mods/206/bodykits.html" target="_blank">http://www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk/mods/206/bodykits.html</a>

The Abbes kit kicks arse. Andreas on this site orders from Ecosse occasionally whcih might save a few bucks on freight.

Damo a_drink head_ban tongue dead evil