Ligarex Banding Assistance

pgti6

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hello Froggers,
I have a driveshaft boot on my 405 race car slinging some of its lubricant into areas not intended. Investigation shows the existing banding isn’t tight enough to keep the grease inside.
The cost to buy a roll of banding, the clip and tensioning tool prohibitive for a one off need.
So, is there anyone in suburban Melb who has the kit available and is prepared to supply and fit the proper pieces?
Happy to bring said driveshaft around and reimburse with the help of Dan Murphy's.

Thanks-Jeff

An alternative would be the Tridon banding kits from Repco etc.. The other thing you might be able to do is unhook the end of the band, grab it with a pair of pliers and use external snap rings pliers to tighten it. Put one tip into the tag and the other against the pliers. Then bend upwards to keep it in the tightened position. Once the end is cut off, you can't use the Ligarex pliers on that band again as he pliers need a free couple of inches to hold it.

Dear Jeff

Not familiar with exactly what meant by "Ligarex", but I have SS bands for Rack boots etc , together with the applicator gun

They are basically glorified cable ties in SS, but can be tensioned much more effectively

Is this what you seek? If so you are welcome to borrow or come up to use them in my sty ( Olinda )

Best Wishes

Andrew

Andrew, Ligarex is a brand name but yes it's the S/S banding as described. Happy to bring the driveshaft up to Olinda whenever it suits you.

An alternative would be the Tridon banding kits from Repco etc.. The other thing you might be able to do is unhook the end of the band, grab it with a pair of pliers and use external snap rings pliers to tighten it. Put one tip into the tag and the other against the pliers. Then bend upwards to keep it in the tightened position. Once the end is cut off, you can't use the Ligarex pliers on that band again as he pliers need a free couple of inches to hold it.

Thanks David S for the tip. The Tridon one would be OK if I had lots to do as it's around $90 for the kit.

The trick to sealing the drive shaft boots (I find) is put them on clean and bone dry, both the inside of the boot and the outer diameter of the joint bosses. Once the clamped surface has grease on it, it does not matter how tight you do up the clamping bands they will in time leek. :2cents:

Yes it is quite a tricky job!

The trick to sealing the drive shaft boots (I find) is put them on clean and bone dry, both the inside of the boot and the outer diameter of the joint bosses. Once the clamped surface has grease on it, it does not matter how tight you do up the clamping bands they will in time leek. :2cents:

Yes it is quite a tricky job!

Thanks Robert, I'll take that on board.

someone on the cit forum will have some ligarex and a tool to help you out!