LHM .... compatible fluid ?

I'll check tomorrow morning when I pickup some brake hoses they are making. Just caught out of the corner of my eye leaving the other day after dropping off hoses. It may well have been LSA in large letters. John.

Last edited:
Pirtek have this LHM on their floor in Burleigh on special in 20l carry containers, so they probably do have @ other branches

I'm betting ISO15 is $80 a drum versus ~ $250 for LHM ....
Ok... I've just spent a bit of time with my local Penrite and Gulf Western distributor.
He rang GW.... was told there is no stock of LHM and no schedule for more.
No 205L, no 1L.
If they did have it.... the current price is about $2300 + for a 205L.
Penrite Indus HV 15 is similar price.
that is some expensive hydraulic oil!

Ok... I've just spent a bit of time with my local Penrite and Gulf Western distributor.
He rang GW.... was told there is no stock of LHM and no schedule for more.
No 205L, no 1L.
If they did have it.... the current price is about $2300 + for a 205L.
Penrite Indus HV 15 is similar price.
I have bought the last 10 litres of Gulf Western it would seem, if that's the case. Bummer for the future.
http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/BROCHURE_V9_2019_FINAL.pdf
GW do have an ISO22... that should work, eh Bob? Page 30 of the link above.

Last edited:
Yes, its working fine in the Xantia, everything seems fine, steering and suspension normal, brakes good.
Except over the last few days, the top hinge of the drivers door has decided to crack away from the door after 23 years!

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the type of fluid in the system.....

1st job this morning, is a bit of welding.

Except over the last few days, the top hinge of the drivers door has decided to crack away from the door after 23 years!

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the type of fluid in the system.....

1st job this morning, is a bit of welding.

Bob didn't you have a strut top let go and bend the bonnet about 10 years ago? I thought you gave up on the Xantia then!

I'll check tomorrow morning when I pickup some brake hoses they are making. Just caught out of the corner of my eye leaving the other day after dropping off hoses. It may well have been LSA in large letters. John.
Just picked up hoses, checked the oil & it was 68 Hydraulic oil made by LSA. My mistake sorry.

Bob didn't you have a strut top let go and bend the bonnet about 10 years ago? I thought you gave up on the Xantia then!
That car was a very early one (94) and I repaired the strut mount by welding a steel ring to bear on the rubber. We ran it until getting the C4 in '07. Our kids ran a couple of Xantias for a few years as well.
Octopus leaks got a bit frustrating, and being a bit far from home...

This one is a '98 75th anniversary wagon, done 480k km still great, but lots of little things to keep me on my toes. Lucky I have a few parts cars .. and I've learnt how to splice octopus.

Like the GS the Xantia is a great car, severely underappreciated in Aus.
But that's good, 'cos it means a good supply of very cheap, very comfortable cars.

Door hinge is a common problem on the wagon's. Ken W's '97 got re welded many years ago.

I have a blue SII SX wagon bought from Harvey 6 or so years ago. Has now done about 320,000km. Mechanically still very good, but paint is getting a bit sad.

Boot capacity with back seats down is fantastic. Being simpler, it is more reliable than a VSX, and the 16v motor seems bullet proof. So far no problems with door hinges!

Bob,
LHM+ v ISO 15 or 22 hydraulic oil.
I spoke to a technical bloke at Gulf Western this arvo, with regard to suitability/compatibility either of these products to LHM+.

His short answer was the base stock of LHM+ is chemically different and the viscosity stability at temperature ( both low & high ) is substantially greater than the ISO 15 or 22. These hydraulic oils begin to lose viscosity as they heat, significantly, compared to LHM+.
Even if using the high temperature rated version of ISO 15 or 22, it still doesn't match or equal the LHM+.
The sticking point is the braking system, particularly the front brakes and generation of heat transferred to the fluid during braking.
Given there is no fluid return for the front brakes or rear brakes, the degradation of the fluid due to temperature extremes is the concern.
Of course, this is fluid life for any braking system, be it Citroën or anyone else.
Consider this as a safety issue. Unless the brakes were bled ( and fluid analysed ), there's no way of telling if there's any change to the characteristics and performance of the fluid.
With regard to the other systems employed, no problem at all.
I appreciate the " seat of the pants testing " you employ.
In addition I'm keen as anyone to see a potentially affordable fluid employed.
Hydraulic fluid here is similarly priced to your local distributor. LHM of course is substantially higher.