LHM .... compatible fluid ?

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

I was at supercheap yesterday and noticed a range of "Mineral Hydraulic Oil" made by Nulon. I have emailed them to see if one has the same characteristics as LHM....... Either way, it's going to be a hell of a lot better than Dexron if your ever stuck for fluid somewhere.

It's possible we may have a fluid here than even exceeds the LHM specifications for $36 for 5litres.

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane IIRC the Nulon product comes in three grades (?). More suited to a tractor than a Citroen. The grades are 32, 46 and 68 with the higher number being the heavier weight.:cheers:

I've emailed them asking .... Hopefully they'll see they have a market for LHM and stick some green dye in there appropriate fluid and sell it as LHM !! There can't be a huge difference other than the additive packages added to the fluids.

seeya,
Shane L.

I just stick mobil agri oil in everything gives great oil pressure in the old ute.
I think it is 15W30 all our tractors bobcats etc run hydraulic and gear oil in one sump!!

Hi Guys,

I was at supercheap yesterday and noticed a range of "Mineral Hydraulic Oil" made by Nulon. I have emailed them to see if one has the same characteristics as LHM....... Either way, it's going to be a hell of a lot better than Dexron if your ever stuck for fluid somewhere.

It's possible we may have a fluid here than even exceeds the LHM specifications for $36 for 5litres.

seeya,
Shane L.

LHM+ has a 40C CsT value of 18 (measured at 40C) and a viscosity index (VI) of 340-370, depending on brand and method of testing. IIRC the PSA specs were for 18/340. Typically Dexron3 is 32-34/170. As long as you have a BVM D and don't live where it gets really cold Dexron will work just fine. There are cars here in California that have been using it for years with no ill effects what so ever. OTOH it is to thick and to low in viscosity for a BVH car. The pressure/viscosity compensation system was never designed to handle fluids that thick nor with that low a VI. LHS2 was 14/280. The factory was able to use the exact same components for both fluids (with a change of the sealing rings) with just an adjustment to the spring tension for the P/V compensator.

Prior to the rise in costs of hydraulic fluids here in the states the ones closest to LHM+ that could be subsituted with little to change for a BVH were AeroShell #4, Texaco 5606, Lubriplate -70 Hydraulic oil and Exxon Univis HVI 13/26 (mixed in a 1:1 ratio). All had viscosity ratings of between 13 - 16 (Univis was 18 at the 1:1 mix ratio) and VI's that range from 350 to over 410.

However in today's market, at least here in the States, there is little if any cost advantage to using them. If one has a leaky car and it is a BVM, then use Dexron. If one has a BVH and it is leaking either fix the leaks or use Dexron and put up with the fact that shift speed will not remain constant as the fluid heats up. If one lives in areas where it below 5C or so then it would be a good idea to use either LHM or one of the 5606 spec (US military) or equivalent fluids. The real problem with using a too thick fluid and/or one with a very low VI, other than BVH shifting consistency and slightly harsher ride when cold temps are encountered (especially in the rear), is the strain it puts on the pump, specifically the wobble plate until the system has heated the fluid up.

Steve

If in the provinces, go see your closest John Deere dealer .. they keep LHM for pure hydraulic systems...... and it is green too.

If in the provinces, go see your closest John Deere dealer .. they keep LHM for pure hydraulic systems...... and it is green too.

And that's really LHM? I must check that next time I'm driving anywhere properly out of Perth.

Here in the states, well at least California, NAPA auto stores carry small supplies of LHM Plus - It is Pentosin produced and imported by Altrom ( a Canadian company I believe). Price is somewhat competitive at around $13/liter, but AFAIK not available in larger sizes.

Another substitute would be Pentosin CHF 7.1 - very close to LHM Plus specs. The main difference between the two was that the LHM Plus specs have a slightly higher viscosity rating than the original LHM specifications.

Steve

Here in the states, well at least California, NAPA auto stores carry small supplies of LHM Plus - It is Pentosin produced and imported by Altrom ( a Canadian company I believe). Price is somewhat competitive at around $13/liter, but AFAIK not available in larger sizes.

Another substitute would be Pentosin CHF 7.1 - very close to LHM Plus specs. The main difference between the two was that the LHM Plus specs have a slightly higher viscosity rating than the original LHM specifications.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Pentosin is the BMW name for the fluid....I doubt that any hydropneumatic BMWs ever were imported into OZ .. no doubt someone will know more.
A search on Google will reveal a couple of Pentosin related sites and one gallery of removing and replacing a rear "strut" on an "offroad" type BMW ( I have lost the link )

M.Stalled,

I have just had a quick read over the BMW link above...seems they discarded the "hydro" style and went to pneumatic..one wonders why.
Benz tried hydropneumatics for a while too .. I have seen a very hard riding S class around home with NO suspension travel and could only wonder if the owner/driver knew any better .... maybe it has never had fully functioning spheres.

How much do you actually use per year to bother saving a few dollars to put potentially the wrong stuff in?

Perfectly put.

It could be like using cheap fuel from the el cheapo fuel place to save a couple of cents a litre then finding it screws up your fuel pump.

My 2 LHM vehicles have used probably 250ml total in the past two years and that would be the result of very minor leaks and sphere changing.

I get the total stuff for around $10 a litre (buying 10 bottles)...might get a shock when I buy it next time as its been a while (local citroen guy gives it to at cost as I put him onto the place in Brisbane to get it at a quarter of what he was paying)...enough for a complete change and a bottle in the boot...and top up when one of those return pipes leak before I fix them with $2 worth of dripfeed pipe and junctions from the nursey shop

Pentosin is the BMW name for the fluid....I doubt that any hydropneumatic BMWs ever were imported into OZ .. no doubt someone will know more.
A search on Google will reveal a couple of Pentosin related sites and one gallery of removing and replacing a rear "strut" on an "offroad" type BMW ( I have lost the link )

Pentosin was founded in 1927 and at first was making veterinary and medical products. It branched into automotive fluids in the mid 30's. It is independent of any auto manufacturer and was one of the primary producers of hydraulic fluid for Citroen starting with the D in 1955. The current production of LHS2 available, at high cost, is a Pentosin product.

Steve

For as long as I can get LHM for the price I do, i will just use it, when the time comes when LHM gets too expensive I will go to atf, just don't know what I will do with my BVH....

Cheers
Corne

For as long as I can get LHM for the price I do, i will just use it, when the time comes when LHM gets too expensive I will go to atf, just don't know what I will do with my BVH....

Cheers
Corne

Don't worry to much about it :). If push becomes shove, check with a local aircraft supply house about AeroShell #4 or equivalent. Other than color it is just about a dead ringer for LHM+. Any aircraft fluid made to MilSpec H 5606 will work just fine.
Steve