Lets install a fuel tank

When you are at a track, check what other people have done with their tanks, I would be surprised if you cant strike up a conversation with some smart people who could have some spare material, offcuts of Nomex, Kevlar, honeycomb aluminium etc. I have scavenged heaps of free carbon fibre and even titanium over the years, you don't know until you ask and most people in racing are happy to help on projects such as yours.
Version 2 may be easier to achieve than you think.
Many big teams upgrade heaps of stuff in the off season and you would be astonished at what goes in the skip bin.
The stupid short time allowed for edit did not permit the pics that went with my last post

bits.jpg

more bits.jpg

Tanks on different sides of the car have not proved successful in circuit racing as transfer pumps and systems are usually too heavy, don't work fast enough and usually fail. Although those systems were tried in the 1960's The positioning would not be compliant with the current motor racing safety regs.
I didn't state it in an overarching motorsport context or in the context of moving fuel from side to side for improved handling.
Rather that in Bowie's case (as a DIY mechanic) that a centrally divided long flat tank on top of the hump or two squat tanks as far apart as practicable on top of the hump would minimise the COG change from the original tank's lower mounting position, reduce the effects of fuel slosh, whilst maintaining his 500mm buffer, all without the use of special materials.

Well I know have a little more of an idea toward what's involved in forcing angry pixies to mate with each other to fuse crap together.
When I was building the Reliant's supercharger manifold I sent the attached photo of my stick welding on the blower flange to my eldest son (I was pretty pleased with it) cos he always saying I'm blind.

Two minutes later the photo came back with a little red circle drawn on the weld left of centre and the message "you moved a bit fast here old man".

Mind you he's a fitter and turner and does more welding than machine work at his current job, and his welding is impeccable.

Attachments

• Resized_20220114_194516(1).jpeg
    Resized_20220114_194516(1).jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 109
Cooper S?
No they are out of my "value for money" range.

It's a 73 Clubman. Has a bored out 1275 engine, twin 1 3/4" SUs, cammed, ported, LCB exhaust etc. Has adjustable suspension, rose jointed control arms etc. 4 piston disc brakes and 13" wheels. Oh and Cooper S tanks of course.

We have a 75 Clubman as well, but its a stock (other than extractors) 1100cc model.

Cool. I had a similar 71 Clubman GT replica. But Cooper S discs and only 10” mags. Had a 45 weber. I was on ausminI and had a few Sydney people like Graham Russell and Kevin Green (DrMini) helped with the engine and suspension work. The family had a lot of minis over the years.

Cool. I had a similar 71 Clubman GT replica. But Cooper S discs and only 10” mags. Had a 45 weber. I was on ausminI and had a few Sydney people like Graham Russell and Kevin Green (DrMini) helped with the engine and suspension work. The family had a lot of minis over the years.
Yes I've had a couple of round noses as well in the past. A 64 sedan, (Cooper S replica) and a 64 panel van. It was an 850 engine and one of the slowest things I've ever driven. Both were very tidy though, wish I had them now.
My father worked for BMC when I was little and he always had a Mini for a company car.