LeMans 2023 tonight 10/6/23.

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Just a heads up that LeMans 24hr starts tonight 11pm AEST, good for me its 9.00pm in WA.
I'm watching on Stan Sports, but there has to be other ways, and I think there are at least highlights of qualifying on You Tube.
Big news is that there is now a field of 16 Hypercars (the fastest prototypes), with the inclusion this year of Ferrari, with a beautiful looking sports car. Not only that, but they have taken pole position from the Toyotas, Peugeots, Cadillacs, Porsches.
There are 60 cars of various classes.

Its the 100th anniversary of the first LeMans, and it's 50 years since Ferrari took pole.

Apologies, Stan Sports broadcast starts at that time, actual race start is 10.00pm WA, midnight AEST.

Now at the 10 hour mark, Peugeot leading by only a few seconds from a Toyota, a Ferrari and a Cadillac. W
6 cars still on leading lap.
One of the leading Toyotas is out with mechanical damage after getting side-swiped by another car in a slowing down area.
Both Ferraris still in the race, although one just now lost a few laps with a fluid leak but raging again now.

Toyota just passed and pulling away from the Peugeot.

This is like a dream for me, watching LeMans on a 55" screen, waking up to watch them racing at midnight their time.
I've followed LeMans since the Ford GT days of 1965-1970, but only rarely any tv coverage in Australia.
Makes my sub for Stan Sports worth it for this race alone.

Back to reality, I won't get away with watching this all day, domestic projects to complete, but it will be on in the background.

Leading Peugeot unfortunately hit the wall at the beginning of Mulsanne Straight, limped back to pits with bodywork dragging and one front wheel locked up. As it entered the pits it spectacularly blew that tyre and flung off half its bodywork, so lucky to actually make it. Has been repaired and back in the race.
Toyota leading, Ferrari second at this stage.
The Iron Dames team (great name for an all women team - German I think) in a Porsche were leading the GTE class until recently, now second so may have made a pit stop.

Sky just starting to lighten, so we are approaching probably my favourite time of the race, the pre dawn hour, with lightening sky but headlights on, looks fantastic. Overcast though so will be a bit different, good for drivers with no sun in the eyes. There were several rain showers during the night, which has lead to a few of the accidents with wet patches still remaining at the edges.

23 hours down, and it has been a surprisingly exciting race. One of the Toyotas and one of the Ferraris have been swapping the lead all day, but the Toyota just bounced off a wall and has had to get its front and rear bodies replaced. Still in second but 3 minutes down from the Ferrari. Still an hour to go. If the Ferrari keeps going and wins it will be somewhat historic, and great for the popularity of WEC.

Some good hard racing for the lead during the whole race. Where did the Nascar finish ? It was mid field, in front of a lot of GT cars when I last looked. Its pace surprised a few, even me.

Last I saw, the NASCAR Camaro was 34th outright, but that was probably about mid race. Yes, it was pretty quick, and apparently popular with its old school V8 noise. Interesting, I guess it was some sort of wild card entry for promotional purposes, as it was out of the regular categories.
The whole event looked quite special, being the 100th Lemans 24hr, and the racing was up to the occasion, with the bonus of Ferrari's first (factory) entry in 50 years.

From the WEC official site:
"Innovative Car:
#24 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 | Hendrick Motorsports | Jimmie Johnson/Mike Rockenfeller/Jenson Button – 285 laps (39th overall)"
So it appears there is a category for Innovative Car. The Camaro was the only entry.

So it appears there is a category for Innovative Car. The Camaro was the only entry.
The Garage 56 Innovative car entry is an invititation only one-car category, in 2014 it was a 3 cyl hybrid electric, in 2016 it was a LMP2 setup for a quadruple amputee that finished 38th.
Here's a good article on the past entries.

Some good hard racing for the lead during the whole race. Where did the Nascar finish ? It was mid field, in front of a lot of GT cars when I last looked. Its pace surprised a few, even me.
The NASCAR Garage 56 entry is also running the Goodwood hillclimb this weekend. Running at Le Mans and SVG winning on their first ever full street circuit has been very high profile good publicity for NASCAR itself.