leaking fuego windscreen

jo proffi

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
with all this rain in sydney lately,my fuego has been taking a lot of water through the windscreen, aparently where the plastic trim pushes up under the screen rubber.The guy from O-brian sealed the glass and the body with mastic(I think), but left the bit under the plastic.The car leaks a lot less,but still some water comes in on each corner.Should I get surgical on the trim and remove enough of it to clear of the rubber,or is there a simple solution to try first???????????

Jo
You shouldget some good technical windscreen sealing tips from other members, sometimes sealant can get in the way of drainage and weap back into the car.

One common thing with Fuegos leaking water has nothing to do with the windscreen, it is caused by
the drain tube under the heater fan in the scuttle under the bonnet(hood) getting blocked with debris and the build up of water then leaks back into the interior of the car. You can usually check this by locating the large rubber hose that comes down near the chassis, and blowing some compressed air through it and if a rush of water results, then it is time to properly clean the drain plug area.

Ken - currently driving a "Pujoe" 206 wagon renter in the UK! (I know what a come down from a Fuego!!)(but still a frog!!)

Kenfuego:
Jo
You shouldget some good technical windscreen sealing tips from other members, sometimes sealant can get in the way of drainage and weap back into the car.

One common thing with Fuegos leaking water has nothing to do with the windscreen, it is caused by
the drain tube under the heater fan in the scuttle under the bonnet(hood) getting blocked with debris and the build up of water then leaks back into the interior of the car. You can usually check this by locating the large rubber hose that comes down near the chassis, and blowing some compressed air through it and if a rush of water results, then it is time to properly clean the drain plug area.

Ken - currently driving a "Pujoe" 206 wagon renter in the UK! (I know what a come down from a Fuego!!)(but still a frog!!)
Dead right Ken....same story on the 18 as well, the rubber drains block up and bingo..instant footbath inside. Worth checking out anyway.

cheers!

Thanks, checked out drain, not blocked.
It is the windshield rubber as I can see it running down the piller from near the roof. The guy from o'brien sealed it with a mastic sealer and most of the water stays out.it seams to be leaking less with time so maby the mastic is beding down and forming a seal.Will have to wait a few month till it rains again

jo proffi:
Thanks, checked out drain, not blocked.
It is the windshield rubber as I can see it running down the piller from near the roof. The guy from o'brien sealed it with a mastic sealer and most of the water stays out.it seams to be leaking less with time so maby the mastic is beding down and forming a seal.Will have to wait a few month till it rains again
I don't know how much a new windscreen gasket for a Fuego would cost you, but when I had similar problems on my 20 the total cost for a new gasket and a replacement windscreen was over $700. Fortunately the free windscreen cover on the comprehensive insurance covered both the cracked screen and the rubber.

dance

<small>[ 10 June 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>