Leak of the week - XM exhaust

ajm212

Fellow Frogger
A much more straightforward ‘leak’ this time.

Possibly accelerated by reversing over a steep grade change while not fully 'up', the connection between two rear mufflers is coming apart:

XM exhaust connection.jpg

The exhaust system was replaced a bit over a decade but less than 25000km ago at what I considered eye-watering cost. So I’m considering the best course of action. My usual approach would involve a symphony of muffler putty, pipe clamps and tin (I’ve already done this at the Y where the two pipes from the front join.) I’m wondering whether an exhaust shop could weld a connecting pipe onto the intermediate muffler or whether this would be as temporary as my efforts and not be worth the money.

Any advice, thoughts?

Andrew

A good muffler shop should be able to weld it ok.
Are all the exhaust support brackets in place, and doing their share of support?
To my eye, that is a fatigue crack, caused by excessive movement, caused by insufficient support. It found the weakest point, where the original weld has undercut the parent metal. If so, the original weld was not really up to a high standard, and/or the fitter neglected to fit or adjust the components to provide correct support

Thanks for the advice re welding. I think all the original rubber connecters are in place and support is okay. Rather than being fatigue, it's most likely that I am responsible for the crack. We have a steep driveway that meets the footpath at a sharp angle. The antisink can be erratic, so if you're not careful to let the car fully rise, having some part of the car meet the path is likely. I know this happened recently.

The opening is right where at the flare where the two mufllers are clamped together. Before I cleaned it up with a wire brush, the area was very corroded and the pipe is quite thinned, so I don't think it needed much to open it up.

Thanks again.

Yes, sorry for the wrong interpretation,
I have now zoomed in on the pic, and see the corrosion problem.
I guess the flakes of rust were hanging in there maintaining a sort of seal, until a jolt knocked them out.
It might be best to remove the muffler and replace the short flare piece.
Welding in place is not really going to give a good result.

there is a whole late xm exhaust lying around in the workshop from the blue xm we tore out and replaced with a new system.
i think we might have grabbed the last factory exhaust lying around in aus a couple of years back.
might be able to salvage a part off the old one for you to fix that. ?

😭 Just shows I need to get better at asking around for what I need! My Xm has been fitted with a PRV exhaust, and it's just wrong!! If you've got parts of a real ES9J4 exhaust left after helping Andrew, I may have to make you an offer :).

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
there is a whole late xm exhaust lying around in the workshop from the blue xm we tore out and replaced with a new system.
i think we might have grabbed the last factory exhaust lying around in aus a couple of years back.
might be able to salvage a part off the old one for you to fix that. ?
Thanks for the offer. I'd already booked the car in to have a new outlet pipe welded onto the existing muffler so I'll probably stick with that. The guy I spoke to is an Alphington. I thought he'd have no idea what I was talking about but he recognized that problem as they've fixed ones for Cars of France. So it seems that this point, like the Y-section in front of the muffler, is a weak spot for corrosion.

It looks like replacement exhaust systems are going to be really difficult to find so any bits you have should definitely be conserved.

Andrew

yeah, don't worry, we throw nothing out.
we got lucky with the exhaust on the blue one, apparently there was one lying around in aus because someone ordered one in and then dudded on buying it. (it wasn't cheap). so we got it. theres an entire discarded system with us. outer corrosion but no inner corrosion so parts of it can be salvaged.
tell us what you need armidillo and we can take a look at what we have. it is in two very large intact sections.
there might be some usable sections to assist you.