Le Book

Russell Hall

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have done another print run of my Peugeot History book. I was holding a number of unfilled bookstore orders and they convinced me there was demand for another print. So this is a bookstore only print. I'll leave the selling to the professionals. The book was well received and sold out in three months which is good for a limited market work. It's one thing to write a book, formatting and printing it another. I put a few minor additions in and that really upset the formatting. Ewan Kennedy had it easy with his book. Sime Darby paid for it and produced so many they were often given away as promotions. I will be a real publisher and always have a stock of unsold books to supply my bookstores. The secret is not to end up with expensive nest padding for the hens. I may do a slightly longer second edition but I have no real interest in documenting the last 40 years of wandering in the wilderness. I hope to turn up more information, particularly on the early period and to chase up more photographs. The early Victorian registration figures are frustratingly inaccessible. The booksellers tell me there is always interest in French cars, and that there is nothing else on Peugeot in Australia. True enough now Ewan Kennedy's book is out of print.

Great effort Russell , much appreciated by the fraternity

Cheers
Colin

It's inspirational, and may have given me an idea for a retirement project in 6-7 years....

If you don't have it, BUY THIS BOOK!

OK so what is the actual title of the aforementioned book and where can I get one please?

Peugeot and Australia 1888 to 1975. Automoto in Sydney and Motor Book World in Melbourne will have new stock next week.
Although I said I wouldn't sell direct if you PM me I'll send you a copy next week.

Last edited:
Automoto now has stock at $45 and Motor Book World at $38.50. I am rather busy at the moment and might not visit here very often until winter so I can't really take direct orders. Thank you for those who bought the book and said nice things about it. A comment before I go. Froggers were scrupulously honest in paying but what would you expect?

. The early Victorian registration figures are frustratingly inaccessible. The booksellers tell me there is always interest in French cars, and that there is nothing else on Peugeot in Australia. True enough now Ewan Kennedy's book is out of print.

Russell I take it that you have seen a copy of the Victoria Police registration guide that was provided to most police stations where vehicles were taken for registration. It was just a guide for the people doing the job with sample serial numbers and locations for engine numbers etc. I did copy some of the figures and information for French vehicles years back and publish that in A/Frogs and yes I would agree that it held the bare minimum for each Marque.

All other physical registration information is now held by the Association of Motoring Clubs in Victoria. I believe. But they seem to have put a commercial price on the supply of information rather than use it for history or research purposes. Though some others up with the current use and purpose might be able to shed light on that.

I could probably find a copy of the VP registration guide if you haven't seen one.

Ken.

The identity details have been removed from the registration certificates as a misguided privacy concern. The documents are not categorised and are largely inaccessible as regards pre war registrations.

A member of Federation was attempting to publish the earliest registrations for Victoria but the task grew too big. I really don't know why the material was given to the AOMC as they obviously lack the resources to process it.

Last edited: