Latitude - reverse camera stuck in settings mode

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day,

new electrical gremlin yesterday, put it into reverse and I get this half sized image and the settings button. If I follow the lead, the "done" button does not show unless you alter something, go for it but "done" does not exit and give you a larger normal image..... ?

Leaving the settings zone also has no effect.

cheers,
Bob

G'day,

new electrical gremlin yesterday, put it into reverse and I get this half sized image and the settings button. If I follow the lead, the "done" button does not show unless you alter something, go for it but "done" does not exit and give you a larger normal image..... ?

Leaving the settings zone also has no effect.

cheers,
Bob

Start with the simple things. I'd try operating the switch somewhat firmly in case it's a mechanical issue... we can only hope 😇.

Anything electronic would likely need removal of the unit and return to a competent technicians work bench.

How far beyond of 5 years warranty is it ?

The radio volume knob will also turn the screen off. Perhaps it'll reset it. If not perhaps disconnecting the battery will, but you loose any other settings you may have on it.

G'day,
there has to be a reset in the menu tree somewhere, I guess, have to read the damn book....
Ah, yes, radio volume knob - 'spose it has to do something apart from volume, it doesn't switch off the radio !! Click on push, but no action.... more gremlins. Wipers have a mind of their own as well.
Dunno that I'd be game to disconnect the battery, probably kill the mongrel altogether. The head needs an update, but the last time I went onto the factory site to download the update it refused to give me the download - maybe they don't like me anymore, warranty period is over.
This thing has certainly cured me of ever getting a modern Renault again....
cheers,
Bob

Have you actually checked the battery state. These cars hate having a low battery voltage. If it drops to 11.8 v when starting the computer goes wacky doo. Throws up all sorts of odd faults. But it will also say that the voltage dropped below 11.8 volts. I now know when my battery needs to be checked and replaced. Mostly it won't start but it has also put the gearbox into limp mode, said I have a throttle body fault etc. The auto electrician can save the computer memory before disconnecting the battery so all the good stuff is not lost. By the way the OBD plug for access is under the coin tray in the centre console. No the book doesn't mention that just a lot of looking around eventually located it. Sorry you're having trouble with your Latitude mine apart from 2 batteries and some tyres has been perfect. Touch wood.

G'day,
had the battery checked last summer, battery man was happy with it. I've no idea how old it is, 2014 petrol, nor the expected life span of battery.
The camera fault is still there after the thing has warmed up and been run for 40min - no warnings come up. Found the socket in the console a while back.
thanks,
Bob

Bob I guess if you disconnect the battery and then reconnect, that will open up a whole new adventure, or fix the problem. That has worked on all my more modern Renaults. And out in that remote place you could utter a few expletives if it doesn't work, and remember if all else fails read the Bl@@dy manual, I am sure the is some site on the internet that will pinpoint the problem.

Time and Latitude...

Ken sorry I can't be more helpful mate..

My batteries, including the original factory one, both lasted 3 years. I have not found much on the internet on Latitude faults. Even the SM 5 Samsung has little that has to do with the problem. I'm still betting on the battery at this point as it is such a simple thing to check. Any battery mounted in the heat of the engine bay struggles to make it much past 3 years. Yes there are odd cases where they do but.............

G'day Sunroof,
battery in the petrol version lives in the boot, with long skinny leads no doubt.... :(
Ken, I don't need any more adventures.... I'll ask the battery place when I call in there for a battery health and date check about disconnection. I'd be nice if owners were allowed to at least clean the terminals now and again.
cheers,
Bob

Members should always be wary these days of any invitation to "click on" especially on social media. Many instances of routing to malware and phishing sites.

Perhaps some members like Seasink could have a look and check if a link is safe.

Very topical on the internet at the moment. They say that scammers are getting cleverer.

I don't click on random links. myself

Regards

Ken

I'd disconnect the battery and leave it for at least an hour. My original battery lasted 3 years, 2nd 4 years. Strained starting and odd errors are signs it's on it's way out

Apart from services, tyres & brakes my Diesel has been very reliable. Repairs consisted of control arms needed to be replaced. My cigarette lighter and power socket died two years ago (rear power socket is fine). I haven't checked fuses.

I've had the Radio lock up. Screen freeze on warning and volume stuck. A restart has always corrected it.

Happy motoring.

G'day,

battery replaced at RJbatteries in Ballarat, no change with problem. But, what an exercise, took 30-40min !! The guy hadn't done one before though.
Old battery didn't look to have any date codes and was a Renault-Nissan item, probably original, what a lump of lead, it's a monster. Similar size replacement, ACDElco s58515, 85AH, 780cca $295 - I was just pleased that they had a shelf item to do the job.
Original is marked 95AH, weighs in at 22kg !! and little window is solid black.
I asked about disconnection, he wasn't game to comment.... :)

cheers,
Bob

G'day,

battery replaced at RJbatteries in Ballarat, no change with problem. But, what an exercise, took 30-40min !! The guy hadn't done one before though.
Old battery didn't look to have any date codes and was a Renault-Nissan item, probably original, what a lump of lead, it's a monster. Similar size replacement, ACDElco s58515, 85AH, 780cca $295 - I was just pleased that they had a shelf item to do the job.
Original is marked 95AH, weighs in at 22kg !! and little window is solid black.
I asked about disconnection, he wasn't game to comment.... :)

cheers,
Bob
I wonder if it is like the Laguna Bob, that was hard on batteries, lot of heat from the V6 motor under the bonnet, one of the reasons that I was glad that I had a RACV battery fitted, they seemed to pack up while still under the RACV battery gaurantee, so free replacement a couple of times, that really made up for the initial higher cost of the battery in the long run. Touch wood the Megane Diesel has been much more economical per kilometers travelled. (in all respects)

Hope you get the answer to the original problem soon.

Ken

I wonder if it is like the Laguna Bob, that was hard on batteries, lot of heat from the V6 motor under the bonnet, one of the reasons that I was glad that I had a RACV battery fitted, they seemed to pack up while still under the RACV battery gaurantee, so free replacement a couple of times, that really made up for the initial higher cost of the battery in the long run. Touch wood the Megane Diesel has been much more economical per kilometers travelled. (in all respects)

Hope you get the answer to the original problem soon.

Ken
It sits on the rh side in the boot so no heat my V6 is going into its 5th year with the original battery

G'day,
haven't been game to disconnect the battery yet.... :)
New fault, reverse camera gave up altogether a few days ago, just the guidelines on the screen. So got brave, went into the tomtom settings and found a "reset to factory", went for it..... it took quite a while to reboot, after all these dire warnings about loosing all your personal data, but, ripper, the bloody camera is back - but still half-sized, you can't win 'em all....
Now SWMBO can have lots of fun putting all the stuff back into it, well, it's HER car.... :)
Bob

Reactions: COL
G'day,
haven't been game to disconnect the battery yet.... :)
New fault, reverse camera gave up altogether a few days ago, just the guidelines on the screen. So got brave, went into the tomtom settings and found a "reset to factory", went for it..... it took quite a while to reboot, after all these dire warnings about loosing all your personal data, but, ripper, the bloody camera is back - but still half-sized, you can't win 'em all....
Now SWMBO can have lots of fun putting all the stuff back into it, well, it's HER car.... :)
Bob
Brave, re SWMBO....

Reactions: COL
side issue....
Don't toss the monster old battery from these cars. My old one charged up OK in the shed and is now used as the house backup power, via a little 2kW inverter - it will run the heater fan all day, no problems.... :)
Bob