late 1960s/early 1970 Electrical connectors

andrewj

Fellow Frogger
Hi Everyone,

These are from an italian exotic, not a froggy. But wondering if anyone here recognizes them?
The male terminal clips into the plastic shroud, and the female terminal fits onto the spade, inside the shroud.
I'm looking for three new ones to replace missing (presumed cooked) ones on the radiator fans. Any leads on potential donor vehicles or new ones would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew
connectors.JPG

not exotic, any 1970's Fiat is full of them and easy to remove terminals without breaking the plastic. I used to use Wurth for replacements but they wouldn't be holding onto these for 30 odd years last time I was chasing items like this. There may be a modern equivalent that auto sparkies may have for the single spade that operate the same but are bright white !

go into a pick a part and go for a rummage in older vehicles

Hi Everyone,

These are from an italian exotic, not a froggy. But wondering if anyone here recognizes them?
The male terminal clips into the plastic shroud, and the female terminal fits onto the spade, inside the shroud.
I'm looking for three new ones to replace missing (presumed cooked) ones on the radiator fans. Any leads on potential donor vehicles or new ones would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

Look very similar, if not same as Utilux connectors.
If you want to replace both ends these are spare locking connectors I once sourced from a Bellanco reseller.

UtiluxPlugs.jpg

Reactions: COL
The post is a bit confusing (hence the answers). Are you after the shroud, or the terminals?

The terminals are not a problem if they are standard sizes (see Col's post above).

That type of shroud is present on a whole bunch of 70s cars (I think my own R17 has a few).

However, you will need to cut the terminal off the cable to put the shroud in, in which case you're going to need a new spade and a crimping tool. If I had to do that I would take the opportunity and switch to something of better quality like a sealed Deutsch or similar connector (easier to crimp well too). Deutsch also have the advantage that they can be serviced (taken apart, bits replaced, etc., if need be - never had to do it but it's good to know you don't have to cut the wire and start again if you need to service it).

If that's too much trouble, see above for a modern replacement of single contact connectors.

Hi Everyone,

To clarify, I'm after the shrouds only. The terminals look like standard 6.3mm.

On the weekend I searched the usual potential sources of '70s of donor parts - Fiat 2300, 124 Coupe and 500, with no luck.

I spent another hour searching the web after posting, and the only car I could find with the same connectors was a Ferrari Dino. Not many of them at pick a part :) What I did find was some very similar shrouds on RS, called Fastin-Faston. I ordered the minimum bag of 25. So I guess I'll find out if I've got it right in the next week or so.

The car is in really good, nicely patinaed condition. So I would prefer to fit the original items, if I can find them.

Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
Andrew
View attachment 213079
Outlaw Speed Shop in SA sell the Aeroflow kits in the attached image for $1.70 each (if the ones you've ordered don't work out).
Narva also make a similar one, that Repco etc sell, bit dearer though, at round $7 each.

AF49-9551_-_1_full_1.jpg

Surprised the 124 had none, my 74 S3 coupe had the singles everywhere but again another 30 years in Oz I would doubt they survived so good hunting.

it looks like a standard connector block. they are everywhere ... cheap ....

Reactions: COL
Surprised the 124 had none, my 74 S3 coupe had the singles everywhere but again another 30 years in Oz I would doubt they survived so good hunting.
Interesting. I was was thinking the 124 coupe being the best bet also. I wonder if some has been before me at harvested the obvious single connectors? Will go back and have a closer look.

Interesting. I was was thinking the 124 coupe being the best bet also. I wonder if some has been before me at harvested the obvious single connectors? Will go back and have a closer look.
Behind the dash. Fan unit. Handbrake switch under tunnel console. I don't remember any in the engine bay. A couple by the fuse box. Good hunting

Ok - might success!

plugs.JPG

I searched through photos of '70s italian looms and found a photo from a Dino that had matching shrouds. I then found the a part reference on a Ferrari forum. Turns out the shroud is still in production and a pack of 25 from RS arrived today.

The good thing about this design is that it can be replaced from the front of the lug. So no need to put a new lug on.

I reckon that is pretty cool - a design that is over 50 years old, still in use and readily available.

Cheers,
Andrew

PS, will still check out the 124, out of curiosity...

I then found the a part reference on a Ferrari forum. Turns out the shroud is still in production and a pack of 25 from RS arrived today.
Can you post the part numbers, I think quite a few people will find this thread and appreciate your efforts in finding them.

I reckon that is pretty cool - a design that is over 50 years old, still in use and readily available
I guess some things just do the job so there's no need to change.🤷‍♂️
This is a 62 year old service manual page for my Suzuki TA250. NGK B-7 spark plugs, the new ones are called B-7S to signify the "standard" electrode. Of course the other multitude of electrode designs didn't exist back then so the "S" wasn't needed. Interestingly the Champions are still available under the J-5 part number as well.
The local parts store had both brands on the shelf.
I'm sure there would be older uses of (still available) plugs than my example.
My '26 Rover car used D16 Champions when new and these were easily sourced brand new (not NOS) online.

Resized_20221125_174422.jpeg

Can you post the part numbers, I think quite a few people will find this thread and appreciate your efforts in finding them.
TE Connectivity 180916-0 Looks like the corresponding female shrouds are 2-180930-5 (will order some to confirm)
The drawings are labelled "tyco spa", which might explain the use on Ferraris and Lambos of the era...

there are a lot of Ferrari parts in a 124 of the same era, round side indicators, about $25 for Fiat, about $170 for a Ferrari,o_O

there are a lot of Ferrari parts in a 124 of the same era, round side indicators, about $25 for Fiat, about $170 for a Ferrari,o_O
Or should that be a lot of Fiat bits in a Ferrari and the price inflated by 1000%. Fiat own Ferrari so that comes as no surprise.

I guess some things just do the job so there's no need to change.🤷‍♂️
This is a 62 year old service manual page for my Suzuki TA250. NGK B-7 spark plugs, the new ones are called B-7S to signify the "standard" electrode. Of course the other multitude of electrode designs didn't exist back then so the "S" wasn't needed. Interestingly the Champions are still available under the J-5 part number as well.
The local parts store had both brands on the shelf.
I'm sure there would be older uses of (still available) plugs than my example.
My '26 Rover car used D16 Champions when new and these were easily sourced brand new (not NOS) online.

View attachment 213144
Hmm.

Are you sure? I see "Chapion" in the manual.

Hmm.

Are you sure? I see "Chapion" in the manual.
I could write a book on the "translations" in the manual. They made good bikes back then, but their Engrish still needed a rittle bit of work.😉