Lake Goldsmith

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day,

We were at Lake Goldsmith last weekend, highly recommended. A living breathing museum, that would put anything they did at the old uni student managed State run Spotswood pumping station totally in the shade. Not pretty static displays, the stuff there does the work it was designed to do, totally fascinating, a group of highly talented hobbyists.

Not just big, it's enormous, no way you could see the whole place in one visit.....
Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Association - photo gallery

Not a great galley there, here's a few videos from Auntie......
Thousands roll in for 100th Lake Goldsmith steam rally - ABC Ballarat - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

We watched a steam driven sawmill for at least half an hour, bloody amazing, no OH&S then - or now. Highly recommended, the club people do this twice a year and with differing themes.

cheers,
Bob

Have been out there a couple of times, absolutely love it, and have considered taking a display along from my collection - though anything I could show would entirely pale in comparison to some of the amazing displays they have out there.

Well worth the drive from Melbourne, or even Adelaide.

G'day,

forgot to mention, there was a very nice yellow Cit there as well, light 15 ? See if I can find a pix later.

cheers,
Bob

I'll have to make it a destination - looks like next rally May 2014.
Yet another excuse to visit Victoria.

Cheers.

Thanks for the link Bob! Some interesting exhibits for sure!

Cheers.

We might work on that Chris and springboard from accommodation at either Melbourne or Echuca, whatever suits the ladies. Our Camera group has had excursions in the past - they always enjoy using their vintage cameras - maybe we could get a party from Tasmania etc. also interested

Ken.

Hi.

I have been many times, as it is only a 20 minute drive for me. Ialmost went out myself but decided the time would be better spent earning brownie points at home. One of my colleagues is into restored Fergie tractors.

I am going to attend the vehicle display in the Mining Exchange tomorrow morning. Will report back.

Chris, if you find yourself anywhere near Warrnambool (and if you go to Lake Goldsmith you are less than 90 minutes drive from my place) do drop in. I can just about run to a mini Lake Goldsmith rally on my own place. I have lots of farm machinery over 50 years old, some of it 100 years old.

Roger

G'day,

regional accommodation could be a bit limited, western highway towns would be the best bet with Beaufort the closest decent sized place. There is camping space on site at Goldsmith, bring an old car and book in as an exhibitor would be the best bet. There was a fair number of old cars around the central arena that looked to be exhibits, not ancient, just recent red-platers.

The BP roadhouse at Skipton operates a couple of cabins. We could accommodate a van or two I guess, or a sleeping bag on the floor :)

Weather could be a tad unkind for non-mexicans in May......

cheers,
Bob

G'day,

Weather could be a tad unkind for non-mexicans in May......

cheers,
Bob

Bob I think you under estimate the weather in May in the Western District. A cloudless night will have Jack Frost painting everything white, looks great but so cold. My sleeping bag is rated to -7 C for a reason. :cheers: Brendan.

Chris, if you find yourself anywhere near Warrnambool (and if you go to Lake Goldsmith you are less than 90 minutes drive from my place) do drop in. I can just about run to a mini Lake Goldsmith rally on my own place. I have lots of farm machinery over 50 years old, some of it 100 years old.

Roger

Thanks, Roger, I will probably do that at some time, I do like that area of Victoria but have always bypassed Warrnambool en route to Port Fairy where I had friends, and/or time constraints. I believe that coming a close second to your machinery display, is a nautical museum in Warrn...... which is also on my list.

Ken, I'll see what I can do. Trouble with fixed dates is wife still working which restricts her to school holidays as you know, but I may force myself to do another trip alone!

And while on the subject (that area of Victoria). Bob, in the thread you had some time ago when you were hunting for your tree change location, I asked for road advice in the area, and was told the roadworks on the Western Highway around Beaufort were a bit of a pain. I took the advice, as I was looking for good sealed roads, and returning to Perth from Melbourne after picking up my son's WRX (my retirement toy), I diverted from Ballarat to Avoca and rejoined the highway at Ararat. It was a very pleasant little drive, we weren't in any hurry, so thanks for that advice. Nice little town, Avoca, I hadn't been throuigh there before. Reminds me, I should post a little resumé of the trip home.

:cheers:

Just showed pics to my good lady to show her what WE missed out on, strangely they didn't evoke much more than a comment, I can see what you missed out on, not much there for me......perhaps your good lady took some pictures Bob...

PS liked what I saw of course.

G'day Ken & Co,

some pix from the boss uploaded as well, hers are at the front of the others, rightly so did someone say ? :)

cheers,
Bob

I hope that you are not going to steal our GST revenue!!
Please make sure that you lodge your VISA application early.

I hope that you are not going to steal our GST revenue!!
Please make sure that you lodge your VISA application early.

What's the exchange rate over there at the moment? I probably can't afford to go there now. :D

(BTW, that's the first reference to the GST debacle I have seen on the forum, although I have been tempted to ask if anyone over there has even heard about it, let alone care!) :)

What's the exchange rate over there at the moment? I probably can't afford to go there now. :D

(BTW, that's the first reference to the GST debacle I have seen on the forum, although I have been tempted to ask if anyone over there has even heard about it, let alone care!) :)

Chris.

Tasmania, Queensland and others? thank W.A for their past GST sacrificed requirements, they have kept us in the style to which those states have become accustomed, their right no less in some cases, but don't expect them to come to your rescue, fortunately the kind heart and recognition of the Federal Government has partly re-dressed that recalcitrance, much to the chagrin of those states that have always got more GST than they contributed, so thanks just in case you felt unappreciated..:D

Niceties observed, Sorry Bob that we could not make the trip to Lake GS, wanted to but time and family events intervened to direct our attention elsewhere. My good Lady viewed your wonderful lady's pictured and get the underlying message to us mere men:)

Incidentely that body carpet sewing machine is identical to one that was used for years at the shop run by the F.I.L. I even used it a few times to sew the small carpet rolls on the day together to cover a room, today of course the ready availability of broadloom carpet, makes that job/machine redundant. Though it was used even during the broadloom period for special jobs that needed design matching or design adjustment.

I even liked that lathe sized industrial sewing machine, probably sewed wheat bags ready for filling by the farmers.

Good for the youngsters to learn how it was done in the "olden Days" :D Thanks

Now if Fordman and his good lady want to pencil in the date for next year, I'm sure we could make an event out of it, he could even drive a certain LTD Ford back to W.A (as GST reparations):D

Your wife mine and Chris's would get on "like a house on fire" Don't know if we would survive the combined.....

Ken:)

G'day,

next year ? there's another this year :) They have them twice a year, Autumn & Spring, just to make sure that you can't rely on the weather.

ooh, btw, that monster singer was for sewing canvas belts, factory was in Footscray.

cheers,
Bob