Laguna II V6 Serpentine Belt Tensioner...

Fireblade

Fellow Frogger
Hi Gang,

went to replace my slipping belt only to find the square hole on the tensioner was more like an 'L' courtesy of some intrepid mechanic before me. No problem getting a part - courtesy of eai however I have a small degree of trepidation, not having experienced this set up before, and there being springs under compression.

Are their any clues for novices in replacing the tensioner? Ostensibly, there looks like just one bolt holding it in!!

To remove the serpentine belt tensioner is pretty easy job, undo the bolt at the top of the spring and the bolt that the tensioner pivots around.

To tension the tensioner I use a 3/8" ratchet with a very short 3/8" extension.

The hardest part of the job is making sure that the serpentine belt takes the correct route.

Hi :)
As Col said ! the hardest part is getting the route correct so before starting either take some pics if you can get in there or sketch the route on a bit of paper. Two minutes work. You would be surprised how easy it is to get it wrong and spend an hour trying to find the right way to do it :( Many have done this on v6s of all brands including moi !
jaahn

New belt and tensioner now installed - easy when you know how - thanks guys!

Hmmm,

An update, new belt and tensioner installed - but the belt still squeals at idle and when air con or power steering kicks in. Could I have done something wrong? Does the tensioner spring fail? I don't even see the spring listed as a part anywhere?

Hmmm,

An update, new belt and tensioner installed - but the belt still squeals at idle and when air con or power steering kicks in. Could I have done something wrong? Does the tensioner spring fail? I don't even see the spring listed as a part anywhere?

There are two idler pulleys that I replaced because they were running a little rough.

The only thing that I can think of is, do you have the correct serpentine belt? they do come in various lengths and does the tensioner look like it tensions the belt correctly?

are you sure the belt is routed the correct way, smooth side of belt to smooth pulleys serrated side to serrated pulleys ,the cutter belt on my ride on catches m out every so often ,goes around the motor, three cutter heads and two idler/ tension er pulleys ,it works when its on wrong ,but not very well .pugs

This - put some whiteout on the inner and outer section to see if it’s slipping.

Did this just now - funny how quickly the marks end up on the opposite sides of the pulley - quite the definitive test! Thanks.

Now to replace the pulley - there seems to be an aluminium rail quite close to the pulley that looks like it will interfere with the changeover - does anyone have experience with this? Does the rail come out? Does it have to? Col?

Did this just now - funny how quickly the marks end up on the opposite sides of the pulley - quite the definitive test! Thanks.

Now to replace the pulley - there seems to be an aluminium rail quite close to the pulley that looks like it will interfere with the changeover - does anyone have experience with this? Does the rail come out? Does it have to? Col?

From memory this pulley is easy to replace.

Remove the right front wheel and also the inner black plastic guard.

Take the tension off the serpentine belt.

There are four bolts to undo and the pulley just pulls off.

Replace pulley and then re-assemble in the reverse order to dismantling

Did the job on the weekend, thanks to a part from eai, just round the corner from my place. Very straightforward, (thanks Col!). Apart from stopping the squealing, drives noticeably more smoothly. :cool: