Kugelfischer mixture problem

For the idle miss/flutter, trial disconnecting the vacuum advance hose? (temporarily plug the hose off).

Also try removing the "exciter" (?) wire to the alternator. (mentioned in the Ti tuning instructions).

I do have another more complicated theory: The main pump diaphragm may have a minute leak.

PS I have never seen my plugs all look the same colour! (Only owned it 45 years though).:)

Keep us all informed.

If you think it's fuel, it's ignition.
If you think it's ignition, it's fuel.

I'd start to look at electrical/ignition system causes.

I’ll certainly look into this. Particularly given that that would be easier to fix than a fuel system problem.

I still think the altitude corrector could be the problem.If you dont have the original one that came with that motor then that one needs to be re set.Im not sure how its done but it might make all the difference. Ive had one reset by a Peugeot mechanic and I think it was a simple job.I had one adjusted by a mechanic once and it seemed a simple job.

That’s interesting. I’ll look into how this is done.

For the idle miss/flutter, trial disconnecting the vacuum advance hose? (temporarily plug the hose off).

Also try removing the "exciter" (?) wire to the alternator. (mentioned in the Ti tuning instructions).

I do have another more complicated theory: The main pump diaphragm may have a minute leak.

PS I have never seen my plugs all look the same colour! (Only owned it 45 years though).:)

Keep us all informed.

So, just the 45 years of ownership? Once you get a little more experience with the vehicle we’ll start to take your suggestions on board ;)

But, seriously, very interesting about the plug colour.

I’ll be trying the exciter wire and vacuum hose theory tomorrow for sure.

The diaphragm is only recently replaced. It backfired on me once and that was the end of the old one.

Quick update.

Disconnected and plugged vacuum advance - no difference.
Disconnected alternator exciter wire - no difference.
Replaced odd coloured spark plug extension - no difference.

Now I wonder if my description of symptom may be incorrect. Rather than a “stumble”, “miss” or “flutter”, perhaps “surge” is a better word. I noticed that when the clutch fan engages, it can be clearly heard to speed up and then slow down. Also, the tachometer can be seen to slowly climb and drop, climb and drop.

Sounds like altitude corrector to me. You could try removing the top seeing what is inside. There may be a simple screw adjustment that you can turn while its idling. If it makes no difference go back to original position.

Sounds like altitude corrector to me. You could try removing the top seeing what is inside. There may be a simple screw adjustment that you can turn while its idling. If it makes no difference go back to original position.

I was thinking about that. It seems to be nothing more than a device which controls the amount of air flow through a tube. I thought to disconnect both tubes and arrange some sort of tap arrangement whereby I can control the air flow from fully closed to fully open.

I was thinking about that. It seems to be nothing more than a device which controls the amount of air flow through a tube. I thought to disconnect both tubes and arrange some sort of tap arrangement whereby I can control the air flow from fully closed to fully open.

I'd be pretty sure it has aneroid capsule in order to determine the ambient air pressure.

I reckon the best approach is to -

1. Install the correct spark plugs and I'd be very comfortable using the plugs (or their equivalent) as recommended by Peugeot. After all, they designed and built the engine.

2. Check the electricals. Are all spark plugs leads and wiring in good nick? Are the points in a good condition and adjusted correctly? Does it have the original ignition coil fitted? It should be a black plastic encased one.

3. The altitude compensator and the pump (the one on the engine) are a matched pair. If a different altitude compensator is fitted, then logically it needs to be adjusted. This may or may not be simple but it's more than likely necessary for the engine to run smoothly. Bypassing it, etc is unlikely to be an effective solution.

Last edited:
I reckon the best approach is to -

1. Install the correct spark plugs and I'd be very comfortable using the plugs (or their equivalent) as recommended by Peugeot. After all, they designed and built the engine.

2. Check the electricals. Are all spark plugs leads and wiring in good nick? Are the points in a good condition and adjusted correctly? Does it have the original ignition coil fitted? It should be a black plastic encased one.

3. The altitude compensator and the pump (the one on the engine) are a matched pair. If a different altitude compensator is fitted, then logically it needs to be adjusted. This may or may not be simple but it's more than likely necessary for the engine to run smoothly. Bypassing it, etc is unlikely to be an effective solution.

Sound advice, Peter. Thank you.

The ignition system is all new. New distributor, new coil (I’ll need to check it’s the right one), new HT leads and new plugs (the ones in the photo are the correct ones I believe). They are Eyquem -something or other, now NGK BP6ES.

I’m looking forward to trying the altitude corrector. I don’t know what magic it uses to do what it does, but the result must be little more than controlling the amount of air flow through a tube. I don’t mean I’ll bypass it. Just to rig us some sort of manual control where I can adjust the amount of air flow to see if at any point the engine runs more smoothly without the surging.

Goodoh. Many years ago I had a Ti (great car!) and I recall the recommended plugs as being BP7ES - not BP6ES. BP6ES are for the carby 504 version - not the Ti. Others are free to correct me if old age has addled my mind.

I have no idea how to adjust the altitude compensator. Anyone?

I understand it's adjusted at the factory to match the pump.

That's my understanding as well and had an idea that it can be adjusted somehow but maybe it cannot be adjusted down the track. In the Peugeot factory manual it says that if the altitude compensator becomes faulty then you need to get a new pump and altitude compensator.

I've just had a quick look through info I have but cannot find out how to adjust it. I could've sworn I read how to set it up correctly somewhere years ago.

Maybe one of the far more knowledgeable AF'ers will know.

Last edited:
That's my understanding as well. I've just had a quick look through info I have but cannot find out how to adjust it. I could've sworn I read how to set it up correctly somewhere years ago.

Maybe one of the far more knowledgeable AF'ers will know.

Regardless, the altitude corrector is not something I'd try adjust . Like nearly everything else on KF injection I'd suggest the best strategy is to leave factory settings well alone.

Frankly, I'm at a bit of loss to understand how the altitude corrector settings would only effect one cylinder :eek:

I'd be checking all the induction seals as the first step.

Regardless, the altitude corrector is not something I'd try adjust . Like nearly everything else on KF injection I'd suggest the best strategy is to leave factory settings well alone.

Frankly, I'm at a bit of loss to understand how the altitude corrector settings would only effect one cylinder :eek:

I'd be checking all the induction seals as the first step.

I tend to agree. Perhaps there are two separate problems. induction seals - is that check for any air leaks?

If you were here in Aus there would be places that service older 504s that have the information to adjust an altitude corrector, but i dont know where you can go in Slovinia,but like i said before it is a fairly simple job.