Kugelfischer mixture problem

Dear Tonch

There is no point in getting into exotica ( innards of pump/altitude compensator etc ) until the basics ( ignition, air leaks, injectors etc ) are all 100% The other thing is that the KF system is very sensitive to dirty fuel, which fouls up the metering valves in the pump. As designed and installed they are pretty heavily filtered, but if previous owners have neglected tank/lines/filtes you may have issues there.

I would heed the advice to keep it simple, as high end stuff on these pumps is expensive ( have just experienced this )

You have an asymmetrical problem, so a global issue ( altitude compensator etc ) looks less likely , as Robmac noted

The KF system is known for robustness once set up properly and not messed with by the non cognoscenti, although the 504 system is susceptible to air leaks, diaphragm issues etc., so I would try to start simple. My 404 ha sa KF2 system which was more than a bit worn, but still started and ran well with good power, only issue being rich running and fuel consumption. THe wear inside once disassembled was not a pretty sight, but it still ran quite well.

I would take this as an indication to start simple and to stay away from the innards until all else has been excluded, esoecially as compensator and pump are calibrated as a pair and the expertise to recalibrate a new one may not be easily available.

The firm with the rights to service ( and with monopoly on parts ) is Koller and Schwemmer in Nuremberg. THey are very GErman - extremely thorough and diligent, honest to a fault and also expensive. I found them good to deal with, but it was not a cheap experience. Their petrol injection guru is Hermann Sattelberger, who knows his stuff and who gives very good advice.
YOu may find them a useful source of advice.

Another firm which I have found very helpful with advice and testing is Nottingham Diesel Services in the UK ( Patrick Wynne ) Others on this site have used them and spoken highly of them. They give good advice too and are likely to be cheaper than K+S, should you need any repairs, if they can get the parts.

Good luck with it all

Andrew

Unfortunately I don’t think the altitude compensator is the problem. I rigged up this crude but simple an effective method of manually adjusting the amount of air flow. All it seems to do is increase and decrease the idle speed (by changing the mixture no doubt). And at each extreme of adjustment the engine stalls. However, at no point in the adjustment does the surge or flutter go away.

Okay, so ignore the fact that it's a mechanically fuel injected engine and check the things that one would on any engine - new spark plugs of the correct heat range, check for air leaks (and there are a number of possibilities on this engine), check the condition of the points and that they are they gapped correctly, leads, etc. Is the engine timed correctly? What about the fuel filters? Do they need to be replaced? There should be at the back near the fuel tank and there will be one bolted to the fire wall.

If that fails to resolve then how about doing a crude test for each injectors spray pattern? Years ago I removed the injectors one at a time and connected them up to one of the pipes swung around so that the fuel sprayed down into an ice cream container. A quick turn over of the engine (with the 12v supply to the coil disconnected and out of the way of course) showed that one of the injectors wasn't spraying properly.

I got your message from aussie frogs and tried to send reply .If the car was previously running with this compensator then the problem is elswhere.If it is not missfiring then the plugs and points are not the problem .you can call me 0401382454

Received your PM, Julian, thank you.

The engine is newly rebuilt and so I have no knowledge of how this injection pump performed prior.

I have swapped the injectors between cylinders, and although it’s early and the engine has not run much since the injector swap, it appears that the same plugs are becoming black again.

The distributor, points, plugs, leads, fuel filters hoses,and so on and so on are all new. Including the short tubes between the log and the inlet manifold. The points and timing are correct. I’ve checked this many times.

I’m assuming that if I’m looking for an air leak, then I should be looking for the leak around the cylinders which have light coloured plug deposits. The rich burning cylinder must just be some sort of compensation adjustment going on within the pump?

Just spent a full day fooling around with my Ti. It has been running like a dog idle miss and breaking down at 3 or 4 different rev ranges. Would run fine for 20 minutes then gradually miss badly and carry on until it stopped.
It all started when the fuel gauge stopped working some time ago, then the electric fuel pump (both caused through stale fuel that gummed them up).
Today I got serious! Drained the fuel tank a few times then added a litre of Metho. Checked the rear filter was clean (new not long ago).
Checked the firewall filter, not bad though very dirty (only the second one ever fitted), I threw the filter away and placed a metal 306 inline filter on the housing incoming side).
Checked the injector pump strainer (spotless).
Set the plugs (0.022") and points (0.016"). Set the timing (6 degrees BTDC).
Under no load it ran very well (except for a continuous miss at idle). Under load was still crap.

I then decided it could be tuned lean. Started it up left it on idle until the fan cut in and lifted the mixture adjustment up (Richer) and it ran much faster and perfectly smoothly without the miss. Frigged around and ended up giving the adjusting screw 2 FULL turns in (richer).
It is now running perfectly and will chirp the wheels into 2nd! I took the car for a 2 hour drive in afternoon peak hour traffic and it ran perfectly and still is. Also no hot starting problems and no idle miss. :)

And there was I about to strip the injection pump. I was not thinking it would be so simple to fix!!

Another happy Ti owner :)

PS I know how I stuffed the tune up, I moved the intake butterfly AFTER tuning the mixture a couple of years ago.