Koleos water in passenger footwell

joestram84

Tadpole
Hi All,
I've got a problem where there is water/wet carpets in the passenger footwell of my 2012 Renault Koleos Priv.
I'm not sure where it is coming from.
I've taken the wipers off as well as the trim under it and haven't been able to see any debris or blockages in there.
Looks like the water is making its way in from behind the centre console.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

Hi All,
I've got a problem where there is water/wet carpets in the passenger footwell of my 2012 Renault Koleos Priv.
I'm not sure where it is coming from.
I've taken the wipers off as well as the trim under it and haven't been able to see any debris or blockages in there.
Looks like the water is making its way in from behind the centre console.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe
first step would be to determine if it is rainwater or coolant. have you checked coolant expansion bottle for decrease in level. does the wet carpet have a smell similar to coolant smell? if so you would need to pressure test cooling system and check heater core/hoses area for leaks.... jim

first step would be to determine if it is rainwater or coolant. have you checked coolant expansion bottle for decrease in level. does the wet carpet have a smell similar to coolant smell? if so you would need to pressure test cooling system and check heater core/hoses area for leaks.... jim
Or if it is AC condensation.
assuming you run the climate control and live in a modestly humid environment, when you park the car it should leave a little wee on the road. If it doesn’t you might have found your smoking gun.

Generic advice - I have no knowledge of Koleos.
Water in footwells is often:
1. blocked drain in heater box. Heaters always have a drain for water that comes in through the air inlet. Usually it is a small tube at the base of the heater box. they get leaves and sticks in them and block up. Very common in all cars. Google "blocked heater drain Renault Koleos" and see what you get.
2. Airconditioner condensate drain blocked or disconnected. As part of normal cooling cycle of the car's aircon, the evaporator (the cooling coils in the car's ventilation system) will frost up just like a fridge. When the aircon is turned off or the car stops, the evaporator will warm up, the frost will melt and there will be defrost water inside the airconditioner. There will be a drain tray underneath and a tube to take the waste water outside, to drip under the car. All this is normal operation. If that tube gets blocked or accidentally detached, you will get wet carpets.

Both these faults may appear to be coming from just in front of the centre console.

Being a privilege, does it have a sunroof.
If so, check the drainholes are not blocked and the the roof is not leaking.

Had the same problem with a similar vehicle - soggy carpet in the passenger footwell. Turned out to be air conditioning condensate that was coming from the console area. There is a rubber pipe underneath the car that is meant to drain the condensate. Put the car up the ramps and cleared the blockage (it was mud) and out ran all the water. Took a while to dry the carpet.

Water in the footwells is actually a feature for Australian versions.
It lets you rinse the sand from your feet when you have been at the beach.
All Aussie cars will have this safety feature soon.
Bush Mechanic
You can retrofit this feature to all cars, just block rust holes in footwell and ad a bucket of water :)

Had the same problem with a similar vehicle - soggy carpet in the passenger footwell. Turned out to be air conditioning condensate that was coming from the console area. There is a rubber pipe underneath the car that is meant to drain the condensate. Put the car up the ramps and cleared the blockage (it was mud) and out ran all the water. Took a while to dry the carpet.
Thanks for that, didn't even think of it.
Do you or anyone here know where it would be located on a Koleos?
Thanks

Generic advice - I have no knowledge of Koleos.
Water in footwells is often:
1. blocked drain in heater box. Heaters always have a drain for water that comes in through the air inlet. Usually it is a small tube at the base of the heater box. they get leaves and sticks in them and block up. Very common in all cars. Google "blocked heater drain Renault Koleos" and see what you get.
2. Airconditioner condensate drain blocked or disconnected. As part of normal cooling cycle of the car's aircon, the evaporator (the cooling coils in the car's ventilation system) will frost up just like a fridge. When the aircon is turned off or the car stops, the evaporator will warm up, the frost will melt and there will be defrost water inside the airconditioner. There will be a drain tray underneath and a tube to take the waste water outside, to drip under the car. All this is normal operation. If that tube gets blocked or accidentally detached, you will get wet carpets.

Both these faults may appear to be coming from just in front of the centre console.
Thanks for that!
Do you know where the drain pipe is on the Koleos?
Thanks
Joe

Or if it is AC condensation.
assuming you run the climate control and live in a modestly humid environment, when you park the car it should leave a little wee on the road. If it doesn’t you might have found your smoking gun.
Thank you. I think this might be it. Do you know where I can locate this?
Thanks
Joe

Get under the car and look up. You might have to take out the undertray if it's still there. Mine leaves a wet spot on the ground right about where the front passenger's toes would be so I would start there.

I had this on my 2008 and it was the rubber drain hose clogged,it is on passengers side about where the footwell is .Easy to see if you can get the Koleos on a hoist. Think it had a flap that was clogged. Common and easy to fix, good luck.
Peter.

There's a plastic plug that fits in the rubber hose that clogs easily. Pull plug out , clear blockage then push back into the hose. I had about 2 cups of water drain out.

Pic of rubber hose

Attachments

• 20220220_160607.jpg
    20220220_160607.jpg
    940.4 KB · Views: 347
Just had this issue in the Koleos. Went through the pain of pulling out the glovebox to get to the blower fan, as it sounded like there was a leaf stuck in it. Pulled the black drain hose on the bottom of the airbox and about a litre of water flooded the footwell. Blower fan no longer sounds like it has something stuck in it. Downside is the airbox was that full of water that the pollen filter had gotten soggy, and fell apart when I removed it. Off to the shops tomorrow.

TLDR: Could have fixed leaf sound from blower in 30 seconds by pulling the bung out of the AC drain pipe under the car. Was blocked with dirt. No need to remove engine undertray, bung is accessible behind the rear wheel.

Thanks everyone, I forgot to update this post, it was the little drain plug under there car that was blocked.

Once cleared, all the water gushed out.

I also had a replacement cabin filter waiting as the one that was in there had mold spores on it.

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Joe