Koleos tires recommendations?

Hankook Dynapro's (HP2 or RA33) 225/17 R60's have been on mine since new. 65,000 km out of the first set and 68,000 km out of the second. The car recently had it's third set of Dynapro's fitted. I've ploughed through deep mud, deep snow and hit 175 km/h on dirt all on the same tyres plus their performance on bitumen is very good too, basically they have been faultless. One puncture in 140,000 km. Recommend them highly!

Handling is top, the rest further down.

Sell it and buy a proper car ;)

But if you really want to polish the handling turd, don’t get “suv” tyres... They are as compromised as the suv itself and don’t do anything well. Look for “car” tyres.

Last edited:
Well, you can only polish what you've got.

I have looked and apparently most manufacturers simply make touring tyres a little bit bigger so they can go on SUVs (I can't believe I actually have one, what has the world come to?!).

But. Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 5 doesn't come in any size I could use. Nor does the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or the Continental Premium Contact 6 either. Or the Falken FK510 whatever, which is praised on Tyrereviews.

With an 18 inch rim I could get I think the Eagles (or one of them) in a close enough size, but that is an investment I am not going to make.

So where does that leave me? Hopefully Peter has some ideas.

Last edited:
Well, you can't hold that against them. Marketing is what sells.

I don't like SUVs but I see why people prefer them. Compared to the Corolla, I don't have to bend down when I put my 20kg 2 year old son in his seat. Try doing that with arms fully extended a couple of million times a day and you'll see why people prefer SUVs. Personally I would have liked a VW caddy maxi but they don't exist in my price range.

That said, I loved that Corolla. There's something addictive in driving the crappiest piece of merde you can buy. Probably the fact that you can't kill it no matter what you do.

Last edited:
I can hold it against them - they just told the masses they want a high profit margin suv and the masses as per usual bought it... Bit sad really.

Scenic/Picasso/Rondo style vehicles are simply superior in every way if you don’t need an actual off road vehicle...

Sell it and buy a proper car ;)

But if you really want to polish the handling turd, don’t get “suv” tyres... They are as compromised as the suv itself and don’t do anything well. Look for “car” tyres.

Your advice is given from the perspective of an SUV owner? There is no difference between a "car" tyre and an "SUV" tyre, the only things to worry about are the sizes and load and speed ratings. There are also a myriad of tyre patterns for every size and you can chose whatever macho style you think you need, with the pricing suitably adjusted for those people who think their tin can might be an F1. For the ignorant and uninformed there are SUV's made today which require tyres speed rated to W and Y and are as yet not found in bulk inverted in wreckers yards.

plenty of good options that size. touring tyres these days are good, but yes 18s will be needed for "really good" tyres. add it to the long list of reasons why suvs are only a triumph of marketing and nothing else.

https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?yokohama-2256017-99h-bluearth-e70

https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?continental-2256017-99h-contiecocontact-6

https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?michelin-2256017-103v-primacy-3-st-grnx
Correct, like tobacco.

225/60R17 loading 99 speed H, Peter.

Hmm! Everything mentioned by others so far would be dodged by me on wet grip grounds. SUV tyres are generally to be avoided if possible as they are optimised for comfort & longevity & are often more heavily siped to compensate for compound hardness & thus squirm more in the dry.

That said, you don't have a lot of choice & my short list of 4 (drawn from BJ & Jax sites) includes 3 SUV types.

That list (rank ordered on your stated & recalled criteria) is:

Conti SportContact 5 SUV (the crispest handling of the 4 & hopefully not too compromised for wet grip; the regular SC5 is splendid in the wet - I know of no test of the SUV variant).

Michelin Primacy 4 (mixed test results in the wet & a bit of full tread turn-in squirm owing to the block profile - vertical sides not angled).

Conti PremiumContact 5 SUV (long a class leader in tests in the regular car version but I don't recall a test of the SUV variant; grippy, responsive & benign on the limit but the SC5 is better everywhere; rated below the P4 as some tests have the latter as better in the wet than the PC5 in regular car form).

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance SUV (I can recall one test of this SUV variant & it rated on par with the regular PC5; as test protocols vary & are sometimes opaque, I usually like to see a spread of results but the regular EGP generally tests well; a good tyre but outclassed by the SC5 & P4 &, more marginally, by the PC5 as well).

My hypothesis is that you'd like the SC5 best but there's some unclarity about its availability; as always, don't part with money unless you can guarantee stock age.

cheers! Peter

As someone who actually owns an SUV, and a Koleos no less, I’d suggest it would take nothing more than an average tyre to out-handle the Koleos.
I don’t mean to shit on the koleos by saying it handles like shite, but its not exactly a porsch in the corners Either.
Expecting it to drive like one and actually pushing it hard.....gives you more stress than enjoyment so you just slow down.
You don’t enter a labradore in a dog race, as much as you don’t hoon around corners in a SUV. That’s what a hot hatch does.
All this BS haakon spouts about roll-overs... I cant Imagine how committed to driving like a Complete idiot you’d have to be to roll one.

So, all that being said, just get the best wet weather and best braking tyre. Without having specific needs like mud/snow traction or other off-road requirements, the other criteria will be mostly academic.

jo :2cents:

You don’t need to drive like an idiot. Just try to take evasive action on a country road or get involved in some sort of emergency situation where you’re cornering hard or sliding and find some to trip you up. Lots of SUVs go over in vehicle to vehicle impacts - if they’re hit on an angle they either ride up and over a normal car and tip, or get tripped and they fall over. It’s just basic physics - higher COG = higher rollover risk. And it’s reflected in crash statistics.

Last edited:

You'd wonder why this UCSR test isn't used as the benchmark for the approval of vehicles in Australia, instead of the ANCAP system? There's a good reason, and that is that the information gathered by the MUARC is a totally uncontrolled set of figures. They are analysing data from thousands of collisions all of which happened in different locations, different weather, different speeds, different times of the day and different driver skills whilst involving different tyres and every conceivable kind of injury (or none) with absolutely no control set. I'd love to see the algorithm that the fine Senior Research Fellow uses to put every one of the thousands of crashes and the resulting injuries (or lack of) into a little box that says "controlled experiment".

No-one is claiming that 2x4 and 4x4 station wagons are safer than any other form of vehicle on the road, though it may be a common perception and I did say they aren't any less safe. In particular, I doubt that the research included any of the Koleos ilk, making it even less a study useful to Schlitzy's purchase or those who have been following this thread and because of the variety of brands of tyres worn by the vehicles involved in the crashes and their state of wear at the time of the crash (Not even mentioned in the article referred to) Haakon's input is not anything to get excited about.

You don’t need to drive like an idiot. Just try to take evasive action on a country road or get involved in some sort of emergency situation where you’re cornering hard or sliding and find some to trip you up. Lots of SUVs go over in vehicle to vehicle impacts - if they’re hit on an angle they either ride up and over a normal car and tip, or get tripped and they fall over. It’s just basic physics - higher COG = higher rollover risk. And it’s reflected in crash statistics.

A set of figures from a reliable source to back up your claims would be really useful. PS. Large vehicles like Land Rover Defenders, Toyota Saharas, Nissan Patrols, Rolls Royce Cullinan and all 4x4 utes do not fall into the category of vehicle we are discussing, which is small station wagons. (Called SUV's by the uneducated.)