Koleos tires recommendations?

Have a look at this, Bozo! Five of top thirteen best selling cars in the EU last year (before the Corinavirus hit) were from Renault or Renault Alliance companies: significantly and for your delectation I advise that the Renault Captur, Dacia Duster and Nissan Qashqai are in there along with the VW Tiguan. (All SUV's) No sign of that best selling Scenic......................

Have a look at this, Bozo! Five of top thirteen best selling cars in the EU last year (before the Corinavirus hit) were from Renault or Renault Alliance companies: significantly and for your delectation I advise that the Renault Captur, Dacia Duster and Nissan Qashqai are in there along with the VW Tiguan. (All SUV's) No sign of that best selling Scenic......................

That’s disappointing... Cant say ive bothered looking for a while. Although I certainly notice driving around Germany that SUVs are rare compared to redneck wonderland Oz and station wagons are everywhere.

2019 best sellers EU.PNG

I am aware of how the koleos was created - on the cheap I think is the short version. Borrowed mechanicals with some French styling and built in a cheap plant for markets crass enough to buy them. Spend the money on developing things like scenic for EU markets where the bulk of their sales are.

Hehehehe! Crass!

Well, you may be right but I still think it looks better than the rest of them out there, Euro crap included. I mean I don't think designers have come up yet with a good looking SUV, something that would have you drool like say an Alpine.

Okay. So here's the update.

Ordered Contisportcontact 5 SUV on the phone, confirmed stock in the right size in WA, went today to have them fitted, and guess what? They got me Conti Premium contact SUV!

Tyre fitters can't read.

Anyhoo. Looks like Contisportcontact 5 don't exist no more, it's just two bit websites that claim they still have them and lazy/incompetent people who can't even check their stocks when you ask.

No more patience and energy to fight the forces of nature so Premium Contact it is. Looks like stocks are tyres made in 2019, week 30 or so, so approaching 1 year old.

Will see how they go.

What a dismal experience.

although it might be disappointing not getting what you actually ordered but there are worse tyres than ContiPremiumContact. They review pretty well for safety, wet/dry grip and steering response.
They still have a good useful lifespan before you need to replace them.

Okay. So here's the update.

Ordered Contisportcontact 5 SUV on the phone, confirmed stock in the right size in WA, went today to have them fitted, and guess what? They got me Conti Premium contact SUV!

Tyre fitters can't read.

Anyhoo. Looks like Contisportcontact 5 don't exist no more, it's just two bit websites that claim they still have them and lazy/incompetent people who can't even check their stocks when you ask.

No more patience and energy to fight the forces of nature so Premium Contact it is. Looks like stocks are tyres made in 2019, week 30 or so, so approaching 1 year old.

Will see how they go.

What a dismal experience.

I concur that the PC5 is a splendid tyre - although longevity is hardly one of their virtues (the PC6 better on this).

Don't feel too bad about it as you have just about the best tyre available (maybe the Michelin P4 shades it in eorything except dry responsiveness when new).

I have backed my judgement by action: one daughter's car is on to its second set of them in a size (195/65-15) populated by a fat short list of good tyres.

You'll like them.

I concur that the PC5 is a splendid tyre - although longevity is hardly one of their virtues (the PC6 better on this).

Don't feel too bad about it as you have just about the best tyre available (maybe the Michelin P4 shades it in eorything except dry responsiveness when new).

I have backed my judgement by action: one daughter's car is on to its second set of them in a size (195/65-15) populated by a fat short list of good tyres.

You'll like them.

Why did you not go for the Michelins?

I feel bad because this situation (and others) mirrors my experience in another life in communist times when you had to rush in and buy whatever you found when you found it because most of the time you couldn't find anything. Made you feel like your money wasn't worth anything (which it wasn't) hence you wonder why the hell you bother working for it?

Last edited:
Best of luck with one of the most subjective purchase you can make! I wouldn't recommend Continental in a fit! Absolute rubbish tyres that wear faster than a set of 1960's crossplies......

Why did you not go for the Michelins?

I feel bad because this situation (and others) mirrors my experience in another life in communist times when you had to rush in and buy whatever you found when you found it because most of the time you couldn't find anything. Made you feel like your money wasn't worth anything (which it wasn't) hence you wonder why the hell you bother working for it?

Ye gods! I wouldn't feel bad; the objective evidence is that the tyres will well satisfy your priorities. I would choose them over the P4 & my priorities align well with yours I surmise.

Yeah, now to be more accurate, I would rate behaviour in the wet as the most important criteria to me.

Kinda disappointing we don't have our own tyre testing service like the Europeans, the more so since some of our tyres are sourced elsewhere so they are not exactly what we see in those tests.

Makes you think if pollies were really interested in safety they would look more closely at the tyres in our market and people's decisions in tyre choice. What am I on about? Policing speed is a lot easier.

So why did you choose these above the Michelins? In your rating post you placed the P4s second to the Contisports and above the Premium Contacts.

Almost as good everywhere as the P4 & crisper in response. Also very benign limit behaviour (an aspect which is not much reported on with the P4 tests so a bit of an unknown). The PC5 was long the wet behaviour star of the class; you'll like them I think.
Local tests are done by Wheels, Motor & Choice (the last requires membership of the ACA to access). Have a brouse of the Wheels ones for the last few years (Google them). I have criticisms of the protocols but there is still worth in reading them. Although Conti do regional tyres (MaxContact, UltraContact, ComfortContact) PC5 is, to my knowledge, Euro-spec.

Yeah, they told me in the email that some of their tyres are sourced from sources closer to us so not EU. Don't know, Malaysia? Indonesia? Whatever. Don't know if this means anything in regard to how identical they are with the tyres tested in Europe but I would like to know. Will see where mine are made.

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement.

They will have “made in xyz” written on them somewhere.

Best of luck with one of the most subjective purchase you can make! I wouldn't recommend Continental in a fit! Absolute rubbish tyres that wear faster than a set of 1960's crossplies......

Some of us prefer tyres to prioritise grip over savings a few pennies by lasting a long time.

... the PC5 is a splendid tyre - although longevity is hardly one of their virtues....

The wear factor of the PC5 will probably work in well for schlitzaugen. If they wear away in a 3-4 years, good time for a new set of tyres.
Regular rotation might help get the best longevity from them.

Making and moulding rubber is a dirty industrial process. Many tyre/rubber manufactures have move their factories to places where the industrial and environmental laws are - less stringent; Asia, Eastern Europe or South America.
Those factories left in first world countries are generally making the premium products in their range.

Some of us prefer tyres to prioritise grip over savings a few pennies by lasting a long time.

If there was an international grip standard for car tyres I might agree with you, but there isn't, so your comment is exactly as I described earlier: totally subjective, as are all tyre tests. The same could be said about comments by people about the relative instability of SUV's...................

Closely related to this interesting discussion I reckon is the condition of everyone else's tyres. I agree best to avoid hitting things by using appropriate tyres! You'd think everyone might be concerned....

Cut to typical supermarket car park. Just wander for 5 minutes or so and inspect other road users' front tyres for tread wear and be very scared, especially in the rain. Doesn't matter what the tyre is when the tread wear is extreme.

Mini-rant over. Preaching to the converted, I know.

The wear factor of the PC5 will probably work in well for schlitzaugen. If they wear away in a 3-4 years, good time for a new set of tyres.
Regular rotation might help get the best longevity from them.

Making and moulding rubber is a dirty industrial process. Many tyre/rubber manufactures have move their factories to places where the industrial and environmental laws are - less stringent; Asia, Eastern Europe or South America.
Those factories left in first world countries are generally making the premium products in their range.

I know.

There was a factory I know of that turned everything around it black. A beautiful valley where everything was black including trees, grass, birds. A westerner took a picture published in National Geographic and won a prize with it. You might have seen it, it was a woman hanging out her sparkling white bedspreads in a sea of black. That factory was closed down a long time ago. Amazingly, nature has recovered spectacularly though I am sure trace elements might still hang around in plants, soil, water, people's and lungs/skin, etc.

Eastern Europe has the same legislation as the EU so no advantage there.

I am aware they wear down quicker than "normal" tyres but still worried they'll have some life left in them when too old to keep.

And yeah, I was thinking about rotating them, not that it seems to matter these days, but I am curious how much it can extend their life (against wear). I haven't rotated tyres for a while now. Anyone here still doing it? How do you do it (I know there's a lot of options)? Does it make a difference?