Koleos tires recommendations?

I can tell you've been here a long time.

Customers don't mean shit these days. Big business don't care.

Have you seen how much push and shove it takes to get something done even when it's a legitimate public concern like say the source of foods we eat? And even then all we get is some lame statement such as "90% Australian made". Don't say nuffin' 'bout what exact part of the making is the 10% or where was that "made".

I am willing to bet a full set of brand new Contisportcontact 5 SUV tyres in any size you choose the business in question is in fact only a website cleverly set up where people order and when the customer pays they take their cut and send an electronic message to the respective manufacturer to place the order and specify the delivery address and the payment probably goes out at the end of the month, again automatically. Such a business needs one employee who is most likely the owner of the business. Who might be in London or Tel Aviv or Guadalcanal for all we know. What do you think he cares about his customers?

And I haven't seen the tyres in stock elsewhere. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if I tried to order and they told me that in fact they can't get the tyres. It happens way too often and sometimes they tell you after they take your money and then they give you a gift voucher, so in reality they took your money and tied you to their shop. Because by law you're not automatically entitled to a refund. Can take months before you convince them you are if you do actually manage to and then more time to actually get your money back. Wasting your time and draining your energy is a tactic I would guess works 90% of the time otherwise they wouldn't do it.

That is what it is like to be a customer today at least in Oz.

I do however harbour illusions that if I pay with money well within its use by date I expect services and products likewise.

I shot an email to the guy explaining that I am willing to take the risk if they accept I return the tyres if they are more than 6 months old. We'll see what they say. Meanwhile I'll try to ring Continental and see what they can tell me.
I'll be at Richards Tyrepower this morning - I'll ask them about ages of what they sell out of interest.

.... I don't have to bend down when I put my 20kg 2 year old son in his seat. Try doing that with arms fully extended a couple of million times a day and you'll see why people prefer SUVs........

Reaching out to put kids in seats usually results in torn shoulder muscles and tendons.
Get in the car to install him and save yourself a lot of future grief, and ...
Feed him less :)

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres
Let us know how they go.

... Lots of SUVs go over in vehicle to vehicle impacts.... higher COG = higher rollover risk....

Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, Ford F Series, Dodge RAM... the COG is at the base of the windscreen (really), measured in meters above the ground.
Most of the SUVs we get here are based on elevated saloon platforms rather than dedicated trucks like in the US.

Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, Ford F Series, Dodge RAM... the COG is at the base of the windscreen (really), measured in meters above the ground.
Most of the SUVs we get here are based on elevated saloon platforms rather than dedicated trucks like in the US.

They still have a high cog and rely heavily on ESP to stop them flipping in emergency situations.

Here’s a good one from Nissan recently!

https://drivemag.com/news/nissan-ki...other-reminder-of-the-crossovers-biggest-flaw

The general views in the trade are,I take it, that a reputable company should not sell stock >18 months of age; that a rough rule of thumb for compound age is that wet grip will be noticeably diminished at around 5 years of age & that, at around 10 years of age, the risks of structural failure (especially belt separation, although nylon/aramid overlays help), are very significantly increased. I'd give your retailer & Conti an 18 month, not 6 month, window.

I am fortunate that I was one of my BJ franchise owner's first customers &, both being tyre-literate, we've got on well over the last 33 years. I am treated very well indeed.

cheers! Peter

They still have a high cog and rely heavily on ESP to stop them flipping in emergency situations.

Here’s a good one from Nissan recently!

https://drivemag.com/news/nissan-ki...other-reminder-of-the-crossovers-biggest-flaw

I see your acrophobia is still on public display: " Acrophobia is an extreme or irrational fear or phobia of heights, especially when one is not particularly high up. It belongs to a category of specific phobias, called space and motion discomfort, that share both similar causes and options for treatment."

The vehicle in question is not sold here and neither is the publication that provided the report, but don't let that dissuade you from continuing your crusade against the most popular and useful style of vehicle on sale today, after the six man cab utility vehicles used by every tradie in Australia but not anywhere else in the world. (Tradies in Europe use sensible white vans with no windows that don't advertise that they are full of expensive stealable equipment.) Like the other rubbish you have provided us, there is no standardised moose test used worldwide for accepting vehicles and I guarantee I can roll almost any passenger vehicle in the world given enough room, it doesn't mean they are dangerous. Only the result of my driving dangerously would be dangerous! :)

PS: After 11 years of Koleos ownership and only starting my third set of well performing tyres ( Inflation pressures make all the difference) I still recommend Hancock Dynapro!

Last edited:
The general views in the trade are,I take it, that a reputable company should not sell stock >18 months of age; that a rough rule of thumb for compound age is that wet grip will be noticeably diminished at around 5 years of age & that, at around 10 years of age, the risks of structural failure (especially belt separation, although nylon/aramid overlays help), are very significantly increased. I'd give your retailer & Conti an 18 month, not 6 month, window.

I am fortunate that I was one of my BJ franchise owner's first customers &, both being tyre-literate, we've got on well over the last 33 years. I am treated very well indeed.

cheers! Peter

18 months is about half the useable period of a tyre, which is not the greatest when new. That basically leaves me with 1 1/2 - 2 years to do what? 40k km? These tyres are priced at a premium, I don't think it is too much to expect them to at least be fresh.

18 months is about half the useable period of a tyre, which is not the greatest when new. That basically leaves me with 1 1/2 - 2 years to do what? 40k km? These tyres are priced at a premium, I don't think it is too much to expect them to at least be fresh.

Seriously, it won’t be a problem. 18 months in a nice warehouse away from UV is not an issue. And they’re good for much longer than 3 years in service.

Just install and enjoy. Life is short, this isn’t I think one of the things worth spending time worrying about.

Well, I have just had an answer from Continental Australia and apparently the tyres are not available in Oz (in the size I am after) and what they do have is indeed older than 6 months. No idea why some sites list these as available. As I said above, after I pay they would probably advise they don't actually have stock. Or the stock they have is old stock.

... 18 months is about half the useable period of a tyre, which is not the greatest when new. That basically leaves me with 1 1/2 - 2 years to do what? 40k km? These tyres are priced at a premium, I don't think it is too much to expect them to at least be fresh...

Premium priced anything should be premium quality, especially so with tyres where our lives and that of our families' depend on them.

We swap our tyres between 3 - 5 years, no matter their condition. After 5 years, as Peter (4cvg) points out, they've lost a large portion of their wet grip and should be discarded.

Good tyres are the cheapest form of insurance for our cars and families.

Yeap, they say that. But they are one of those web only shops who order when you order, and based on their answer I don't think they actually have those in stock. If they do actually have them in stock, the stock must be at best as young as the last Continental shipment of these tyres to Oz, which can be anything based on the response I've had from Conti themselves.

Worst case scenario, they'll find out they can't supply the tyres after you order and then you'll have to recover your money.

Best case scenario, they'll sell you old tyres.

Yeap, that is my philosophy too. 4 years tops and the tyres go in the bin no matter what. In fact I am just about to throw away a brand new never used tyre.

PS. Just off the phone with tyresales, no they don't actually have these in stock but they told me they see the tyres in stock with Continental. Repeated this statement confidently even after I read them the response I had (this morning) from the Continental customer service manager.

Didn't know tyres behaved like quantum particles but here we are.

Last edited:
Yeap, they say that. But they are one of those web only shops who order when you order, and based on their answer I don't think they actually have those in stock. If They do actually have them in stock, the stock must be at best as young as the last Continental shipment of these tyres to Oz, which can be anything based on the response I've had from Conti themselves.

Worst case scenario, they'll find out they can't supply the tyres after you order and then you'll have to recover your money.

Yeap, that is my philosophy too. 4 years tops and the tyres go in the bin no matter what. In fact I am just about to throw away a brand new never used tyre.

All I can say is that there must be a lot of people buying an awful lot of crap tyres, I don't mean aged when new, I mean just crap! After our experience with Continental tyres I'll never touch them again and there are plenty of other Mickey Mouse brands out there I wouldn't use either. I can remember when guys would bury a full set of tyres in the dirt for 12 months or more to "cure" them. Some drivers swore by the process but I never bothered myself. From the carry on in this thread you would think it was a discussion between seasoned F1 drivers over the tyres on offer for their racing cars, but no matter how hard I've driven my Koleos, and I have, it's not quite an F1 car and therefore a tyre which I have now proven on two vehicles to be longish lasting, grippy enough in all weather and sold at a decent price should suit anyone with one of those dangerous SUV's. After all, if your Koleos tyres have too much grip it might fall over........:LOL:

Back to the tire topic. My fav manufacturer of tires would be Pirelli. They have engineered and spent well on research to be top of the game. I don't replace mine unless it's 6 years old from manufactured date or its already worn. I prefer looking through wheel and tire packages as I feel like it is easier for me to identify which bundle is suitable for my car and that would fit my budget.

Last edited:
Yeap, they say that. But they are one of those web only shops who order when you order, and based on their answer I don't think they actually have those in stock. If They do actually have them in stock, the stock must be at best as young as the last Continental shipment of these tyres to Oz, which can be anything based on the response I've had from Conti themselves.

Yeah ok. But getting a refund is less effort than you’ve already expended worrying about tyre age... Just get what you can and move on. It’s a bloody suv - while I understand the desire to get the best you can to counter the handling compromises you’ve already got, Kim is sorta right in that it’s probably not a bad idea to not go nuts with traction. you’re more likely to survive an evasive manoeuvre if it understeers instead of flipping...

effect of tyre profile and grip is noted here

True, I thought about that a lot myself. But I can manage cornering with my right foot. What I can not manage is stopping distance once the pedal goes to the floor.

True, I thought about that a lot myself. But I can manage cornering with my right foot. What I can not manage is stopping distance once the pedal goes to the floor.

Thats also true... If only there was a type of car with suitably high seating that also had a decent cog... ;)

Rebadged Nissan entrail is a poor substitute for this. I don’t blame Reno Oz too much, they knew what would sell. Shame these don’t sell here...

I don't necessarily want or need an SUV. I mentioned before, I looked at VW Caddy Maxi. I like them very much, and they are tall enough to allow me to just plonk the bugger in. I would have gone for it above the Koleos, but unfortunately I couldn't find one in the spec I need and price range I can afford. It will be another few years before they fall a little bit more.

A couple of days ago I also noticed a Skoda (don't know the type) that looks similar but seems a lot newer so I suspect still out of my price range. Also not as spacious as the Caddy Maxi and a little bit uglier. Too late anyway.

I did look at Scenics, but I am too tall (or the car is too low).

That Grand Scenic looks like a million bucks and it shows again that Renault makes cars with great handling. I would have one in a heartbeat if they were tall enough.

As for what sells, I am sure Renault could sell their entire range here but don't think they care (or they consider us the turf of their other arm, Nissan). Maybe it's all part of some agreement between the two, you know, not taking sales from one another.

Last edited:
Thats also true... If only there was a type of car with suitably high seating that also had a decent cog... ;)

Rebadged Nissan entrail is a poor substitute for this. I don’t blame Reno Oz too much, they knew what would sell. Shame these don’t sell here...

The Scenic didn't sell terribly well here and the Koleos is. I'm surprised to see you giving so much kudos to Renault Australia fgor their business sense. By the way, the Koleos was designed in France and shown at the Geneva Motor Show in 2000, one year after the Alliance was formed with Nissan. The concept was further developed by Nissan (a 40%+ Renault owned company) and displayed at the Mondial de l'Automobile in Paris in 2006. The majority of the Koleos is manufactured in the Busan plant of Renault Samsung Motors (80% Renault owned) in South Korea. The Koleos shares it's underpinnings (a common platform) with the Nissan X-Trail but has a completely different body and equipment levels. So it's not just a re-badged X-Trail.

The Scenic didn't sell terribly well here and the Koleos is. I'm surprised to see you giving so much kudos to Renault Australia fgor their business sense. By the way, the Koleos was designed in France and shown at the Geneva Motor Show in 2000, one year after the Alliance was formed with Nissan. The concept was further developed by Nissan (a 40%+ Renault owned company) and displayed at the Mondial de l'Automobile in Paris in 2006. The majority of the Koleos is manufactured in the Busan plant of Renault Samsung Motors (80% Renault owned) in South Korea. The Koleos shares it's underpinnings (a common platform) with the Nissan X-Trail but has a completely different body and equipment levels. So it's not just a re-badged X-Trail.

I am aware of how the koleos was created - on the cheap I think is the short version. Borrowed mechanicals with some French styling and built in a cheap plant for markets crass enough to buy them. Spend the money on developing things like scenic for EU markets where the bulk of their sales are.