Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Holy cow, 1000 bucks for a plastic gear!!!

For that money, if it goes on my car, I’ll be getting the dremel and hand files out and making one by hand.

Jo
yeah it stinks, the motor itself was fine, but like with most modern things you have to buy the whole unit rather than the bits :(

If this is a common failure point its a wonder that one of the cottage industries from the eastern block countries is not making these and selling them on Ebay. :cry:

If this is a common failure point its a wonder that one of the cottage industries from the eastern block countries is not making these and selling them on Ebay. :cry:

This is the first time we've heard of it on Aussiefrogs. Then again we don't get a lot of rain in these here parts, only half as much as Sydney.......

Reactions: COL
This is the first time we've heard of it on Aussiefrogs. Then again we don't get a lot of rain in these here parts, only half as much as Sydney.......
Actually, hunting around I found this from Sept 2020:
https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiper-motor-gear.140922/
Also in that informative thread we have Dave Cav saying it's a fast moving item for him - interesting. Also that the OP tried various other makes and options, so it makes interesting reading.

I would think that with auto rain-sensing wipers, variable intermittents and various parking combinations, that the assembly will be fairly specific to the model, making it harder to just replace with any old thing, and sometimes (bleed!) the only way is to go new genuine, much as I would hate to do it!

Just a suggestion, is the wiper motor (or the gear) a Nissan part and hence more readily available or cheaper?
I noticed a lot of the parts on my Koleos have Nissan part numbers, the wiper motor might be too.
There a 10 times as many Xtrail's sold as Koleoses and the Xtrail is pretty common in breakers yards.

I wonder if there is any prophylactic measures that can be taken before it happens?
Wrapping the housing with waterproof tape, silicon etc?
It's a Valeo item.

Dave

I want to fit a tow bar to my MY2019 Koleos diesel. I wont be towing anything more than a small box trailer, but plan to use the tow bar as a fix point to carry an additional spare on a trip to remote WA I'm planning for next year.
Do forum members have any suggestions regarding brands of tow bar etc?
Also, with the current spare in the back of the Koli, I see there is a speaker in it. Can this speaker be disconnected and removed so as to put in a full size spare?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi All, Has anyone had any luck with the dodgy centre display on the series 1 cars? They are available second-hand, but I would imagine little better than the existing units. Mine is the second one anyway, the first was replaced under warranty. I have found this unit from Italy: https://store.minitools.com/en/sepd...iIMaQnburN8-1634429719-0-gqNtZGzNA2WjcnBszRC9
If the link doesn't work the part number is 8056590270691 and the company name in Minitools. They have a ridiculous Capture thing to get to view the item. I've emailed and asked for clarification and cost for postage, but unless postage is really ridiculous it would be a far cheaper option than second-hand, and of course new.

I want to fit a tow bar to my MY2019 Koleos diesel. I wont be towing anything more than a small box trailer, but plan to use the tow bar as a fix point to carry an additional spare on a trip to remote WA I'm planning for next year.
Also, with the current spare in the back of the Koli, I see there is a speaker in it. Can this speaker be disconnected and removed so as to put in a full size spare?
I don't know about your model, but I have the 2009 Privilege with the Bose woofer in the spare, and that spare is full-sized. I've been regularly using the spare in tyre rotations since I bought the car in 2010. If yours isn't full-sized, you can fit your spare in there should you obtain one. There was one for sale for a good price elsewhere, maybe even in this thread. As for the woofer, they don't have a quick-disconnect that I've ever found and they're a PITA in that regard. You might have to trace the wire back to the amplifier, which is alongside the spare anyway. I've not bothered. I would be careful operating the system without the woofer installed, Bose amplifiers are a bit sensitive in that regard.

I also have the factory towbar and can't see any way to mount a spare wheel to it without having something specially made up that fits in the socket. Bit of a waste on my car, haven't towed anything for years and it was an expensive accessory.

You can't go past a Hayman-Reese 50mm towbar for convenience. Yes, it may be of higher capacity than you might need to tow, but you never know when you might just need something heavier.
The main thing is versatility. Removable hitch so you dont have a towball sticking out when you aren't using it, and you would be able to get a spare wheel carrier which slots in place of the towball hitch as well.
I know they make it for the Koleos 2016 onwards, they also make an interesting looking harness which plugs into the Koleos electrical harness, avoiding all the pitfalls of wiring incorrectly.
They aren't cheap, but worth it.
I did find another company in SA making a Koleos towbar, similar to the H-R, but it will be easier to find a H-R supplier near you I would think.
If it is of interest to you, I've had a good look under my Koleos, and it looks not too hard to install the towbar, the difficult bit would be the wiring.
Cheers.

Hi All, Has anyone had any luck with the dodgy centre display on the series 1 cars? They are available second-hand, but I would imagine little better than the existing units. Mine is the second one anyway, the first was replaced under warranty. I have found this unit from Italy: https://store.minitools.com/en/sepd...iIMaQnburN8-1634429719-0-gqNtZGzNA2WjcnBszRC9
If the link doesn't work the part number is 8056590270691 and the company name in Minitools. They have a ridiculous Capture thing to get to view the item. I've emailed and asked for clarification and cost for postage, but unless postage is really ridiculous it would be a far cheaper option than second-hand, and of course new.
If you're talking about the the amber clock/radio display (i.e. not the colour sat-nav display), mine used to play up. The background on left side of the display was too bright so would make the characters hard to read. Oddly, the problem was intermittent, some days it would be fine and other would be hard to read. I thought it was temperature related at first (played up more on hot days) but then it would be good some hot days and no good on cooler days so killed that theory. The possible cause is that the polarising filter becomes de-laminated from the display giving the 'washed-out' appearance. In theory, you should be able to replace just the polarising film (polarising film is available to buy on Ebay etc.) and everything will be good again but I haven't tried it. I bought another (used) display to replace it but the display came good again so I didn't replace it before I sold the MK1 Koleos (I have a HZG Koleos now )

Cheers RTT

Last edited:
I have a factory fitted H-R towbar, I think it's about $1100 to have one fitted by the Renault dealer. You can get cheaper aftermarket ones fitted for about 20% - 30% less if you shop around. There are also towbar kits to buy that you can fit yourself.

The speaker in the wheel-well is the sub-woofer and IMO is not necessary unless you're well in to the DOOF-DOOF music.
I haven't checked my spare in my current Koleos but it should be full-sized. It might be a steel rim instead of a alloy but it's not a 80kph-max space-saver. My 2008 Koleos had a full-sized spare on a alloy rim. The H45 was a Privilege trim, maybe the other specifications had steel rims for the spare.

Cheers RTT

I don't know about your model, but I have the 2009 Privilege with the Bose woofer in the spare, and that spare is full-sized. I've been regularly using the spare in tyre rotations since I bought the car in 2010. If yours isn't full-sized, you can fit your spare in there should you obtain one. There was one for sale for a good price elsewhere, maybe even in this thread. As for the woofer, they don't have a quick-disconnect that I've ever found and they're a PITA in that regard. You might have to trace the wire back to the amplifier, which is alongside the spare anyway. I've not bothered. I would be careful operating the system without the woofer installed, Bose amplifiers are a bit sensitive in that regard.

I also have the factory towbar and can't see any way to mount a spare wheel to it without having something specially made up that fits in the socket. Bit of a waste on my car, haven't towed anything for years and it was an expensive accessory.
Hello there Fred17. Thanks for your reply. The tyres on my Koli are Nexen 225/60/R18. The spare is a 225/65/R17 on a steel rim, but a Kumho. I bought the Koli new and had never thought to look at the spare until last week and am perplexed that a different brand tyre would be used as a spare. I measured the spare tyre well and a 225/60/R18 will easily fit ( I think both tyres are more or less the same size in any case).
I'd be interested in knowing views as to whether there is an advantage of alloy rims over steel.
Thanks for your comments about a tow bar, too.

Hello RTT, Fordman.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to my query. The information you provide is really helpful esp. the H-R recommendation. I've just checked their site and it looks like the one to get. But the fly in the ointment is that, according to [https://www.allintowbars.com.au/pro...-series-heavy-duty-towbar-kit-aug-16-onwards/]: "TOWBAR NOT COMPATIBLE FOR MODELS WITH FOOT SENSOR BOOT RELEASE", which my Koli has [though I've never got it to work!].
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Hi Fred,
I think my Koleos was probably in the first batch sold in AU, thus suffers from the same problem.
A S/H unit bought also suffered the same, so, unless you can get a new one I would say live with it.
Also you need the code that came with the display - mine wouldn't work without it (from memory).

Hello there Fred17. Thanks for your reply. The tyres on my Koli are Nexen 225/60/R18. The spare is a 225/65/R17 on a steel rim, but a Kumho. I bought the Koli new and had never thought to look at the spare until last week and am perplexed that a different brand tyre would be used as a spare. I measured the spare tyre well and a 225/60/R18 will easily fit ( I think both tyres are more or less the same size in any case).
I'd be interested in knowing views as to whether there is an advantage of alloy rims over steel.

There is one advantage of using steel wheels and that is as follows: If you hit something really hard with a rim made of alloy, it can fracture and render the wheel useless with a big chunk out of it, a steel rim, on the other hand can be badly bent but bashed back into shape with a mash hammer, if you're quick enough, sometimes without losing all of your air pressure! Something I discovered in 15 years of rallying!

Hi Fred,
I think my Koleos was probably in the first batch sold in AU, thus suffers from the same problem.
A S/H unit bought also suffered the same, so, unless you can get a new one I would say live with it.
Also you need the code that came with the display - mine wouldn't work without it (from memory).
Yes, mine is 2009 first registered in 2010. Curious that a mere display would need a code.

I had a reply from the Minitools people, they asked for pics of the existing display. They want 28 Euros for postage! That adds up to $180, still cheaper than second-hand displays. It's weird that they play up when the car gets hot or is in the sun, and that the bleeding/flickering can continue for years without getting much worse.

Hello RTT, Fordman.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to my query. The information you provide is really helpful esp. the H-R recommendation. I've just checked their site and it looks like the one to get. But the fly in the ointment is that, according to [https://www.allintowbars.com.au/pro...-series-heavy-duty-towbar-kit-aug-16-onwards/]: "TOWBAR NOT COMPATIBLE FOR MODELS WITH FOOT SENSOR BOOT RELEASE", which my Koli has [though I've never got it to work!].
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Hello Aegis, I've got a towbar on my Koleos and the foot sensor boot release still works.
The towbar does block the sensor somewhat and sometimes it is intermittent but it does work eventually (although you look like a goose kicking your towbar).
The worst that can happen is the foot sensor won't work and that's no big deal.

Cheers RTT

The Koleos comes with different size rims depending on the trim, 17" for the Life, 18"for the Zen, and 19" for the Intens, so they probably standardised the spare to one size only and the 17" is probably the cheapest. As long as the rolling diameter is the same, the 17" will be okay. The larger rims have tyres with lower profiles to keep the diameter the same.

I've checked my spare and it's a 17" steel rim (I'm running 19" alloys),
The 19" are 215 aspect ratio, the 17" are 225 aspect ratio. The circumferences are about 15mm different (less than 1%).
Near enough for use in an emergency.

Last edited: