Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Without knowing much about your dealer it might be that he has had enough experience of Koleos'sss to happily give a 3 year warranty to a 2014 year model without any hesitation!
Hiya! Thanks for the feedback. Yes the dealer seems to have great reviews on Google

Hi Koleos owners! We are thinking of buying a Renault Koleos 2014, front wheel, 100km, Bose auto. 1 owner from a dealer 100km.
Is this a good deal? Any Koleos Bose 2014 owners? What’s this car like? The dealer is also throwing in 3 years warranty. Thanks in advance
Hi Ozzie, welcome to the Forum. I have exactly this same model, an ex Budget Hire Car that had been thrashed around Tasmania before it came to me looking slightly bedraggled, but after a clean up and service, it has served us faithfully, without any problems, ever since.
A wonderfully capable, reliable and comfortable car, not too big but just the right size for our needs. I recommend it.

Traded in three weeks ago our 2014 Phase 3 Bose 4x2. When purchased new from Peter Warren at Warwick Farm in Sydney, provided with a further 3 year limited warranty ( additional to the 5 year factory warranty), at no charge, by the dealer. They were prepared to back the Koleos.

111,002 kms when traded in. Under warranty, gearbox was replaced in 2017 at 63000 kms (Torque convertor failed - doesn't appear to be a common problem). Also under warranty, drivers door lock replaced in 2016 ( dealer able to identify by description of noise over the phone - known issue?) ; both front lower control arms replaced in 2018 at 75000 kms (bushings split). Not under warranty drivers front window regulator (drivers door may have been constructed on a Friday :)) ; CV Boots at 75000 kms (split); headlight replaced due to condensation build up. Original Khumo's lasted about 43,000kms and replacement Continental Premium Contact 5 after further 48,000kms.

Totally agree with Breitie's last sentence in the above post. Our car was used for intrastate driving for the first 18 months, then Sydney suburban with at minimum fortnightly trip to Central Coast. Both my wife (who drove it predominately for the last 5 years) and I would recommend it.

If it is Mars Grey in colour, you may be purchasing our car as there weren't many on carsales, and I can provide you with the full service reports.

Nod

Just saw our car on carsales advertised as a Phase 11 4x4. Certain it is a Phase 111 and a 4x2.

Nod

Just saw our car on carsales advertised as a Phase 11 4x4. Certain it is a Phase 111 and a 4x2.

Nod
Nod, your list of repairs and replacements, in and out of warranty, appears excessive to me. And all that work at less than 100K/km?
I feel lucky because I have had very little done, except a set of tyres and that pesky driver's side door lock that seems a common problem but easily fixed without replacing the lock actuator at all. (see post with photos somewhere here)
The only work I have had to do was replace filters and fluids at recommended intervals. I will have to replace the accessory belt soon though, and will call in my trusted 'home mechanic' who comes to my house, to do that for me.

Now for something completely different! Some weeks ago before the current lockdown I ventured into the local mountainary to appreciate some snow in the Koleos 4X4. Following that trip and having been through plenty of falling snow, and subsequently rain, of which we've had quite a bit any sudden stop engendered the sound of water sloshing around somewhere in the car. Not being an aquarium enthusiast I was somewhat disturbed by the sudden appearance of localised in-car running water and proceeded to investigate it's source.

I had noticed a trickle of water from the front of my right rear door on the driveway when parked and soon enough discovered that the door itself had become a noticeable reservoir, containing enough water to supply a small household for several days. I remembered that I had at one stage slid into a ditch full of snow and mud, which I hopped out to investigate, in the process of which I opened the RH rear door to grab a jacket, the door scraping the snow/mud as it opened.

Turns out that the lower door seal is the exit point for accumulated water, but after being pushed into the mud it sealed all the drain points. Cleaning the face of the lower door seal allowed several gallons of fresh water to escape over several minutes. Who'da thunk it?

Hi all,
I have a spare Koleos wheel for sale in Brisbane, thought I might post it up here first before I throw it on Gumtree.
It has the Continental 4x4 Contact tyre, 225/60R17. Would have around 95% tread on it as it was barely used and in excellent condition.
$75 will take it. Pics below. Hit me with a PM if you are interested.
Matt

Front.jpg
Back.jpg

Tread.jpg

Hi All, longtime happy 2013 Koleos privlidge diesel owner, I am hoping that someone can help me regarding
1. Front windscreen wipers stopped working, can hear the motor but no action, fuses are all good.
a) has anyone got a 2nd hand windscreen motor I could purchase?
b) is it a problem with the windscreen wiper motor?
2. Front left hand headlight washer (I have only discovered yesterday that this is a thing LOL I just thought it was a cover for something not installed) anyway does anyone have one for sale?
Apologies if these questions have been asked previously
Thanks in advance and crossing my fingers.. Oh PS I live in gippsland victoria (if that helps..)

If you can hear the motor running but the wipers don't sweep it's probably a disconnected wiper motor arm.
Usually it's as simple as removing the wiper arms, then the motor cover, and refitting the link arm.

Here is a link to a great straightforward video explaining how it's done. True, it's not a Koleos but the principle is the same:

Wiper linkage

French Connection at Airport West (03 9338 8191) has secondhand Koleos stuff

Dave

Last edited:
Hi All, longtime happy 2013 Koleos privlidge diesel owner, I am hoping that someone can help me regarding
1. Front windscreen wipers stopped working, can hear the motor but no action, fuses are all good.
2. Front left hand headlight washer (I have only discovered yesterday that this is a thing LOL I just thought it was a cover for something not installed) anyway does anyone have one for sale?
Thanks in advance and crossing my fingers.. Oh PS I live in gippsland victoria (if that helps..)
If you still have to drive the car, coating of rainX on the glass will make it possible to drive the car in the wet.
Not a solution, but better than no wipers on a dirty screen.

You need to download the manual MR-420 KOLEOS - 8 from the internet, it's available from several workshop manual sites. The wiper mechanisms are described in section 85A. Details of the headlight washers can also be found in the same area.

wipermech.PNG
image_2021-10-09_094658.png

Last edited:
Hi Ozzie, welcome to the Forum. I have exactly this same model, an ex Budget Hire Car that had been thrashed around Tasmania before it came to me looking slightly bedraggled, but after a clean up and service, it has served us faithfully, without any problems, ever since.
A wonderfully capable, reliable and comfortable car, not too big but just the right size for our needs. I recommend it.
I'm in Tasmania and Koleoses are quite common. Mostly white. Obviously ex- or current rental, indeed I spoke to a couple of drivers and it transpired that their cars were rentals.

Hi all,
I have a spare Koleos wheel for sale in Brisbane, thought I might post it up here first before I throw it on Gumtree.
It has the Continental 4x4 Contact tyre, 225/60R17. Would have around 95% tread on it as it was barely used and in excellent condition.
$75 will take it. Pics below. Hit me with a PM if you are interested.
Matt

View attachment 135612View attachment 135613
View attachment 135616
Hi Matt, How did you find the Contis? I have a 2009 Privilege and found the original Conti tyres to be very soft, wore quickly and very puncture-prone. I fitted Goodyear Efficientgrip SUV tyres and they've been great. About to fit new tyres again and Contis were a good price but reviews suggested they wore quickly. I'm not anti-Conti- I fitted a set to my Fiesta, luckily they were made in France and not China like the Goodyears. Leaning towards General Tire (American, but ironically owned by Conti). This is a great price for a spare alloy and tyre, by the way. I bought new alloys for the Fiesta and sold the rashed stock wheels for more than the new ones had cost. Cheers, Mike.

Hi All, I have a slightly weird issue with my 2009 Privilege: It's driven fairly infrequently and the trip computer is resetting to zero. The odometer is fine, but trip and fuel economy readouts are affected. Is there a battery in the dash, like the watch battery in a PC's motherboard? The main battery is relatively new and the car's starting with no problems at all.

HI all, well it turns out there is a plastic gear inside the wiper motor and that had cracked completely in two, tried every where to find one, no luck. So i now have a new $1000 wiper motor installed.... Damn upsetting that a 20c piece of plastic put me off the road and then cost me so much to fix. lets hope it at least lasts another 120K..

HI all, well it turns out there is a plastic gear inside the wiper motor and that had cracked completely in two, tried every where to find one, no luck. So i now have a new $1000 wiper motor installed.... Damn upsetting that a 20c piece of plastic put me off the road and then cost me so much to fix. lets hope it at least lasts another 120K..

Just wondering if you live in a very cold part of Gippsland? I found constant use of my Scenic RX4 in the high country snow destroyed several nylon pieces in the car specifically in the electric window winding mechanisms.

Just wondering if you live in a very cold part of Gippsland? I found constant use of my Scenic RX4 in the high country snow destroyed several nylon pieces in the car specifically in the electric window winding mechanisms.
Hi Kim, I am not a fan of snow so don't take my car there, the koleos only goes high country in the warmer weather. It appears that the gear in the wiper is something that goes wrong often, so that would account for no parts in the 2nd hand market. I am unsure how you could possibly protect the motor adequately. Although I remember the wipers getting sticky quite a bit before the failure, especially when in intermittent rain. Mine failed at approx 121000kms. I only have 1 issue with windows, which is the passenger front sometimes decides it does not want to go up, LOL usually as it begins to rain!

What did this wiper motor gear look like, if you've seen it, was it straight cut teeth or helical (teeth cut at an angle)?
Helical, with unusual spindle as well, mechanic asked a fitter & turner regarding making a replacement, they said too much trouble. I was considering having a 3d printer have a go at it, but the mechanic had tried to "glue" it and in the process totally destroyed the original

Holy cow, 1000 bucks for a plastic gear!!!

For that money, if it goes on my car, I’ll be getting the dremel and hand files out and making one by hand.

Jo