Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Mine used to have a shudder when accelerating. If you eased off the accelerator it would disappear and when you re-applied the acceleration it would most times be okay but occasionally the shudder came back if you were still accelerating. But that was occurring at any speed and usually after coasting (like, coasting down a hill then accelerating up the next hill or driving on the flat and punching it to go up a hill). It wasn't speed related, it could happen at 20kph or 50kph, but was more load related. I had a gearbox service done but it didn't change anything. I largely went away when I had new tyres fitted so I'm thinking it was more to do with the wheels being out of balance or perhaps the front wheel nuts being slightly loose. (There was no shake or judder in the steering, it was fine). It's been replaced by another intermittent error but nothing serious (famous last words).

At 150,000k, a gearbox service or oil change won't hurt but it may not fix the issue.

My Koleos has done around 170k now and apart from regular servicing hasn't had any repairs to the front end so it could just be wear and tear or worn bushes, etc. (My Koli is a 2.5 4WD).

Cheers RTT

Mine used to have a shudder when accelerating. If you eased off the accelerator it would disappear and when you re-applied the acceleration it would most times be okay but occasionally the shudder came back if you were still accelerating. But that was occurring at any speed and usually after coasting (like, coasting down a hill then accelerating up the next hill or driving on the flat and punching it to go up a hill). It wasn't speed related, it could happen at 20kph or 50kph, but was more load related. I had a gearbox service done but it didn't change anything. I largely went away when I had new tyres fitted so I'm thinking it was more to do with the wheels being out of balance or perhaps the front wheel nuts being slightly loose. (There was no shake or judder in the steering, it was fine). It's been replaced by another intermittent error but nothing serious (famous last words).

At 150,000k, a gearbox service or oil change won't hurt but it may not fix the issue.

My Koleos has done around 170k now and apart from regular servicing hasn't had any repairs to the front end so it could just be wear and tear or worn bushes, etc. (My Koli is a 2.5 4WD).

Cheers RTT
Cheers mate, appreciate that. Mine is also a 2.5 4WD.

I did think of the wheel nuts (a mechanic once left them loose on a different car so I am wary of that now) but they are all tight. Tyres are also up for replacement so that may also be the cause. I had a look at the wheels and it looks like a weight has come off the RR, so that may also be the issue. Will see when the tyres are replaced soon. (They have done 70k!)

I have noticed a judder that I can feel thru the steering, only when turning left AND going over a bump. I did raise it with the mechanic last service (140k) and he found that the steering rack, suspension, etc was all good and tight and he couldn't feel it when driving anyway. It has certainly become more noticeable since and I am wondering if it may be a worn engine/gearbox mount. Perhaps its further degradation is now causing this issue as well.

Perhaps related, perhaps not: a year ago the FL outer CV boot failed and grease went everywhere. A year later the same problem is occurring with the same boot which I am a bit annoyed about, considering it is far younger than any of the other boots that are all still fine. Only a small grease leak at this stage but will have to be addressed. Maybe that particular CV is troublesome??

I did think of the wheel nuts (a mechanic once left them loose on a different car so I am wary of that now) but they are all tight. Tyres are also up for replacement so that may also be the cause. I had a look at the wheels and it looks like a weight has come off the RR, so that may also be the issue. Will see when the tyres are replaced soon. (They have done 70k!)

I have noticed a judder that I can feel thru the steering, only when turning left AND going over a bump. I did raise it with the mechanic last service (140k) and he found that the steering rack, suspension, etc was all good and tight and he couldn't feel it when driving anyway. It has certainly become more noticeable since and I am wondering if it may be a worn engine/gearbox mount. Perhaps its further degradation is now causing this issue as well.

Perhaps related, perhaps not: a year ago the FL outer CV boot failed and grease went everywhere. A year later the same problem is occurring with the same boot which I am a bit annoyed about, considering it is far younger than any of the other boots that are all still fine. Only a small grease leak at this stage but will have to be addressed. Maybe that particular CV is troublesome??
The inner CV's if worn can cause the vibration that you mention.

Just on the wheel weight that you think has come off, you could get that wheel re-balanced and see if the vibration goes away :2cents:, a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Hi all,

My wife's 2010 Koleos has recently started exhibiting a vibration through the car as you accelerate between 50-70kmh. Rather disconcerting for me as I know it wasn't there before. It's not massive, but I know it shouldn't be there and something expensive is likely to happen at some stage if left unchecked.

From what I can tell, it only seems to be happening when accelerating or under load (eg going uphill), at a steady speed between 50 and 70 it feels ok. Above 70 it goes away completely, whether accelerating or steady. As it has had virtually no servicing (when following Renault's service schedule to the letter) I am suspecting something may be going on in the CVT. My mechanic has always checked the fluid level and condition, but it has never been drained and replaced. Mileage is just shy of 150,000km.

It will have it's 150k service very soon anyway and I can check with the mechanic, but has anyone here ever experienced such a thing and determined the cause? Many thanks in advance.
I had my cvt fluid changed at 100,000 (just fluid) as a precaution as we did over heat the transmission prior to that when towing & it was a bit dark & level was down a bit. Keep us informed Matt, as you hear a lot of stories that CVT'S have had it at 150.000 but you see Koleos's around with 300,000 on them so I wonder how they have faired transmission wise

Hi, could be a worn CV joint, go somewhere that you can put it on full left hand lock & drive in a circle, if you hear a clunk clunk, clunk noise it's most likely the CV joint

I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing an after-market Oil Cap for my 2014 Koleos (2wd petrol Bose edition). It doesnt come up in any of the major stockist catalogue. Do I just have to get it from the Renault Dealer? Ive got one of those emergency push-twist ones in for the moment, how much of an emergency is it to get the new cap? Sorry if this is a dumb question, Renault and car newbie here.

The motor is the same as in a Nissan X-Trail so you can probably get one through Nissan or have your parts dealer look up the Nissan after-market type.

Finally an update to the above after getting each of my issues looked at one by one:

Replaced the tyres and had both inner and outer front left CV joints checked (the outer boot had failed anyway so had to be done regardless) and neither solved the shudder.

Had the CVT serviced with a full flush and new fluid and happy to report that the shudder problem has gone away completely now.

CVT fluid is formulated to provide friction when placed under pressure from the drive belt - as the fluid breaks down over time this friction becomes less consistent, resulting in the shudder. As a mechanical engineer I never bought Renault's insistence that the CVT is a 'sealed for life' unit that never requires maintenance - fluids like this always break down and need replacing at some point. The cynic in me would suggest that all they are worried about is seeing it through to the end of the warranty period, after that they couldn't care less and you are on your own.

Looking back I'd probably get the CVT service done somewhere between 100-120k as a preventative thing. I just did mine at 150k which I think was stretching things a bit. Best left to a professional too, it's not just a matter of dropping a drain plug as this will not remove all the fluid from the system. The mechanic I went to hooked it up to a machine that pumps and flushes things properly utilising the hoses leading to/from the transmission cooler. All up cost was $396, including 7.5L of CVT fluid (@ $16.50/L). Was done at JC Automotives in Morningside for those in Brisbane who may be interested.

Looking back I'd probably get the CVT service done somewhere between 100-120k as a preventative thing. I just did mine at 150k which I think was stretching things a bit. Best left to a professional too, it's not just a matter of dropping a drain plug as this will not remove all the fluid from the system. The mechanic I went to hooked it up to a machine that pumps and flushes things properly utilising the hoses leading to/from the transmission cooler. All up cost was $396, including 7.5L of CVT fluid (@ $16.50/L). Was done at JC Automotives in Morningside for those in Brisbane who may be interested.

Considering what was done that's more than reasonable.

Dave

Has anyone here had their slush box serviced?( 6 speed auto)
would be curious to hear what that involved.
jo

jo

Without checking the service record in my handbook I can't say, but my car is now 13 years old and for the first 12 years was serviced by the book annually at the dealer as I never exceeded the 15,000 km/12 months limit. The auto has been given a hard time over that period but seems happy coping with my treatment with no obvious signs of wear. I'll dig the handbook out tomorrow and see if I can find any references to auto trans service.

jo

Checked my 2008 Koleos Diesel Auto Service Schedule and nowhere does it mention servicing the slushbox. Every now and then on a "B" service it suggests checking the transmission and final drives for leaks and that's it. The schedule doesn't even mention the type of oil the transmission would require if it needed topping up or replacing.

Under "Operating Faults" in the owners handbook, if the "check gearbox" light or "gearbox overheating" light illuminates, the manual suggests you contact a dealer ASAP. I think those events must be indeed very rare as although I've been surprised by the amount of heat generated by the transmission when locked in 4WD when travelling in 200mm of fresh snow, my gearbox warning light/s have never illuminated.

Checked my 2008 Koleos Diesel Auto Service Schedule and nowhere does it mention servicing the slushbox.
That is what I expected.
I asked my service guy to service the slushbox, and after a minute or two looking at his computer he suggested there was no mention from Renault about how this might be achieved.
No drain plug, no dipstick and no information.

Maybe there is a way to drain some oil, as some forum conversations indicate, but I wonder if 'let sleeping dogs lie' is a good piece of advice for this box, which has no clear history of failure.

Jo

Considering what was done that's more than reasonable.

Dave
Oh yeah absolutely, I was actually pleasantly surprised.

And dirt cheap insurance compared with the cost of getting the transmission repaired or replaced. Would probably approach the market value of the car itself these days!

Hi Koleos owners! We are thinking of buying a Renault Koleos 2014, front wheel, 100km, Bose auto. 1 owner from a dealer 100km.
Is this a good deal? Any Koleos Bose 2014 owners? What’s this car like? The dealer is also throwing in 3 years warranty. Thanks in advance

Hi Koleos owners! We are thinking of buying a Renault Koleos 2014, front wheel, 100km, Bose auto. 1 owner from a dealer 100km.
Is this a good deal? Any Koleos Bose 2014 owners? What’s this car like? The dealer is also throwing in 3 years warranty. Thanks in advance

Without knowing much about your dealer it might be that he has had enough experience of Koleos'sss to happily give a 3 year warranty to a 2014 year model without any hesitation!