Koleos 2 - Changing Cabin Air Filter

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Changed the cabin filter today. Probably the most difficult cabin filter I have had to change. It will definitely be easier next time knowing what is in store.
Probably not the hardest, but the strangest part was that the filter is about 30mm bigger than the access hole and requires the filter to be "crushed" to get it through the hole. One can only hope that it returned to original shape when inside, because you can't see it. This in itself had me confused at first because I thought I was looking at the wrong panel, as it was smaller than the filter.
I am posting this because the actual job is different than any service manual excerpt I was able to find. They all mention removal of an air duct which doesn't exist on this car. Lots of confusion with Series 1 and 2, and LHD and RHD.

Here are my photos of the operation, in no particular order:

IMG_20230828_145251.jpg

New filter compared to size of hole cover. Weird, poor design IMO.

IMG20230828134444.jpg

Had to destroy old filter to remove it. At first I didn't think it was the filter, but it was.

IMG20230828134510.jpg

Not too dirty for 50,000kms. Won't bother changing it again until air flow reduces noticeably.

IMG20230828134637 (2).jpg

Firstly, remove glovebox, and then the glovebox surround. About 8 T20 Torx screws.

IMG20230828134844.jpg

Note this screw under the end panel holding the glovebox surround. (Also see last photo)

IMG20230828135402.jpg

Remove cover by pulling on the ring - at the top when in situ. I had trouble refitting the bottom end, and filed some burrs off the cover near the bottom insert lug.

IMG20230828135542_BURST001_COVER.jpg

How I started to refit the filter through the small orifice. This was suggested in the very meagre instructions with the filter. At least the filter was flexible, not just the paper type. Note direction of air flow marked with an arrow on the filter.

IMG20230828140052.jpg

It got pretty ugly inserting the filter. Hope it expanded inside. I slipped my hand in and it felt ok.

IMG20230828142715 (2).jpg

The cover panel in situ. Ring pull at top. I cut that white cable clamp on the right to release tension on the cable near the cover, may not have been necessary.

IMG20230828144313.jpg

Again, the location of one of the screws holding the glove box surround.

I hope this clarifies the job for anyone else having a go.

Reactions: COL
When I changed the cabin filter in my Laguna ii the aperture for the filter is a bit smaller than the filter, not as bad as you have shown for the later model Koleos Chris. Had to squish the filter a little to get it in.

In my opinion this is just poor engineering and looks like there was no communication in the engineering department.