Kinked Electrical Cord Question

okalford

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm interested in some opinions on the safety an electical cord. I bought an air fryer from Aldi yesterday and discovered on unpacking that the electrical cord has a small kink in it from the way it was packed. It isn't too bad, no cuts, the unit works and the cord doesn't seem to get hot. I'ts just a bit squashed at that point (marked by the white tape in pic). It is dispapointing though that it may have a weakness in the long term. As people might know these stores only stocks these sale items for a limited time so I may not be able to exchange it. My question is for anyone who has good knowledge about these things, would this this concern you enough to take it back? Sorry if it's a dumb question! Thanks in advance.

K

Attachments

• Cable kink.jpg
    Cable kink.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 102
Hi.

The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask when you had a chance to.

Note: As this is an electrical safety topic, this is my personal opinion only. You will need to come to your own decision as to what to do.

Providing the outer sheath has not been perforated it is unlikely that any conductors will become exposed. Also these air fryers tend to sit in one location on a bench and the cord is not usually flexed much. What you can't see is the insulation on the active and neutral conductors, but I would think it unlikely that this is damaged to allow the conductors to touch and short. If they did your circuit breaker would drop out almost instantly.

For the strands of copper wire to be broken this usually require lots of flexing in the one location (typically on a vacuum cleaner where the cord enters the housing) or significant crushing between sharp, hard, surfaces. You have said the cord does not get a hot spot at the kink location, so this tends to indicate that multi-strand conductor has not been compromised. What is the witness mark like on the other side of the cord?

In light of the above comments, if it were mine, I would use it as is.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'd take it back. Although the copper wires may well be undamaged, the insulation may not be undamaged. Particularly with high current drain devices, the integrity of insulation is important. Keep in mind, I have zero qualifications in anything.

Kaye
Should be o.k. Pity the outside insulation kinked, but inside should be o.k. I was actually looking at the same air fryer as a possible replacement for Dianne's previous Aldi air fryer (that one is still going fine, but capacity is less than this one) price seemed right for what you get.

They are a very handy thing for personal use and I bought an Insta Pot air fryer 10 litre unit through COSTCO, on Dianne's glowing recommendation on how her present Aldi Air Fryer was performing for her. Cost quite a bit more than the Aldi one.

The only limitations she had was in capacity/features, and I see that has improved with this one. I was considering buying this same one to upgrade Dianne's one. They don't have Aldi in Tassie as yet so it would have been bought to either be dropped off when we visit, or via one of her friends travelling back to Tassie.

Hope you get a good run out of your air fryer. The other very handy product that Aldi sell, is the small portable induction cooktop, I haven't seen them on sale for quite some time, but the one we bought from Aldi is performing very well and it saved the day when our cooktop needed urgent replacement..

Enjoy.

Ken

As one who has several power cords that have been melted or cut enough to expose the copper, then sticky taped back up to continue service, I'm probably not qualified to offer electrical safety advice.😉

Thanks for the replies, I now temporarily have 2 air fryers! I went back to the store and showed the manager the pic and he said to bring it back so I grabbed another before they sell out and will return the other for a refund. I feel sorry that it may be wasted but feel one should get goods in brand new condition when buying brand new. Hopefully it gets returned to the manufacturer to have the cord replaced but I doubt that will happen.

Now to try and work out how to get the first one back into the box with all the polystyrene packaging!

I'm interested in some opinions on the safety an electical cord. I bought an air fryer from Aldi yesterday and discovered on unpacking that the electrical cord has a small kink in it from the way it was packed. It isn't too bad, no cuts, the unit works and the cord doesn't seem to get hot. I'ts just a bit squashed at that point (marked by the white tape in pic). It is dispapointing though that it may have a weakness in the long term. As people might know these stores only stocks these sale items for a limited time so I may not be able to exchange it. My question is for anyone who has good knowledge about these things, would this this concern you enough to take it back? Sorry if it's a dumb question! Thanks in advance.

K
Thanks for the replies, I now temporarily have 2 air fryers! I went back to the store and showed the manager the pic and he said to bring it back so I grabbed another before they sell out and will return the other for a refund. I feel sorry that it may be wasted but feel one should get goods in brand new condition when buying brand new. Hopefully it gets returned to the manufacturer to have the cord replaced but I doubt that will happen.

Now to try and work out how to get the first one back into the box with all the polystyrene packaging!
It should be ok, but you did the right thing and returned it to the store as it is damaged and you paid for something that is suppose to be new and in new condition. Obviously looks like something has been dropped on the cable sometime in its short life.

I'm all for returning goods that are not up to the standard you expect and we have good consumer protection laws that state this.