Key wont turn in Ignition barrel - 307

Whippet

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi. Yesterday I moved Mrs Whippets 307, and noticed the ignition was a bit "notchy" when starting the car. This morning the key will not rotate the barrel, hence cant start or move car. I have tried rotating the steering wheel to relieve any pressure from the steering lock. I have sprayed some penetrant into the key slot. I have tried jiggling the key and striping in/out. The barrel will not rotate either way. So if anyone has any suggestions they will be welcome.

Secondary problem. I cant move the gearstick out of Park. This is preventing me from moving the car by pushing. I looked in the manual and unlike other Japanese cars there is no bypass of the park lock. So suggestions to move the transmission out of park would be appreciated.

Otherwise I will need to jack up the front to move the vehicle. As my car is parked in front of the 307, and is blocked in the driveway by the 307.

Other minor problem. When I moved the car yesterday from out the front it was very hot inside, so I left two windows down to allow the car to cool in the garage. Now that I cant start the engine, I cant easily raise the electric windows.

PS: I tried to search on Aussie Frogs, and the search function does not seem to generate any results.

There is a shift lock override you need to pop out the trim around the gearshift and on the rh front area there is a white lever button thing push it and it will let you out of park

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Hi Col. Thanks for that link. For some reason I am unable to search posts - I just get errors. So I appreciate your response.

The pen down the square hole is dead easy to release the Park Lock, so now I will be able to move the car back and forward. PS: I couldn't find this information in the owners manual, maybe its in there somewhere but I could find it this morning.

Hi Col. Thanks for that link. For some reason I am unable to search posts - I just get errors. So I appreciate your response.

I don't use the search function in AF because I find it pretty hopeless to use, I use Google and just include Aussiefrogs in the search title. :2cents:

How is the battery?

The shift lock won’t work normally without battery power, though I guess this could be a symptom of not being able to turn the key.

307 Ignition Key Barrel Assembly.

307 wagon has now been moved. Fortunately the steering lock is in the straight ahead position. My car is now not blocked in. So progress has been made.

I have also removed the ignition barrel assembly, 307 ignition barrel assy.jpg this was all relatively straight forward. With a small sharp chisel I was able to fairly easily undo the sheared off retaining screw. Then you insert a 2mm Dia pin punch into where the screw was and drive out the top pin from underneath. Then after unclipping the wiring loom the assembly is easy to withdraw.

Now I think I need to withdraw the two small roll pins to enable the cover and the barrel to be disassembled. The roll pins won't drive through, so I am getting some easy-outs to see if they grip enough to withdraw the roll pins. Lets see what happens next.

Hi - So three hours less in my day now, but all fixed and going again.

The root cause were the seven "leaves" that the key profile retract to allow the barrel to rotate. Where the tab for each leaf interfaces with the key profile were worn, they are brass, no wear on the key. So I linished about 0.5mm from the outside of the leaves. Reassembled with some light grease and the barrel now rotates easily in the cylinder. I cut a slot in the sheared head of the security screw and reassembled all onto the steering column, refitted the covers. Bobs your uncle.

Now enjoying a beverage and sausage rolls for my efforts.

Thanks guys for the earlier links that assisted to get the ball rolling.

Tip: Every now and again I spray WD40 on the key and insert it a few time to lube the ignition barrel & tumblers.

Never had a problem. :chase:

Tip: Every now and again I spray WD40 on the key and insert it a few time to lube the ignition barrel & tumblers.

Never had a problem. :chase:

I use silicone spray on locks, even had locks that are near impossible to turn with the key rejuvenated with a squirt of silicone spay.

The propellant evaporates and leaves a coat of silicone behind.

It last for years.

How is the battery?

The shift lock won’t work normally without battery power, though I guess this could be a symptom of not being able to turn the key.
once the piston s pushed sideways it releases the pin..no probs